British hostage - beheaded?

Comments

• anne_666anne_666 Posts: 72,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I know.

Labour is just the lesser of two evils but they are so PC and pander to fanatics it infuriates me - and the true labour party died with poor John Smith.

I am tempted not to vote at all for the first time in my life.

I hated her policies and when she was in power but do we really think Thatcher would have stood by and let Islamic extremism take root in the UK?

At least she had conviction - whether you agreed with her or not.

No chance.

She was a very strong leader, like her or loath her. Not a career wimpy politician more concerned with votes and spin than the welfare of the country. That era is over I fear, not that I agreed with her all of the time!

Found this with her thoughts on extremists

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/northamerica/usa/1384642/Thatcher-urges-Bush-to-finish-business-of-Iraq.html

Lady Thatcher was critical of Western policy on global terrorist networks. "We have harboured those who hated us, tolerated those who threatened us and indulged those who weakened us.
  • Sorcha_27Sorcha_27 Posts: 138,527
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I know.

Labour is just the lesser of two evils but they are so bloody PC and pander to fanatics it infuriates me - and the true Labour party died with poor John Smith.

I am tempted not to vote at all for the first time in my life. :(

I hated her policies and when she was in power but do we really think Thatcher would have stood by and let Islamic extremism take root in the UK?

No chance.

At least she had conviction - whether you agreed with her or not.

she was not for turning. I didn't agree with many of her actions but she was never a hypocrite.
  • Keyser_Soze1Keyser_Soze1 Posts: 25,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    anne_666 wrote: »
    She was a very strong leader, like her or loath her. Not a career wimpy politician more concerned with votes and spin than the welfare of the country. That era is over I fear, not that I agreed with her all of the time!

Found this with her thoughts on extremists

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/northamerica/usa/1384642/Thatcher-urges-Bush-to-finish-business-of-Iraq.html

This country should have seen the danger when the Rushdie protests started - that was the beginning of a very slippery slope that led to the national shame of Captain Hook and Finsbury Park Mosque.

We were a laughing stock around the world. :(
  • anne_666anne_666 Posts: 72,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This country should have seen the danger when the Rushdie protests started - that was the beginning of a very slippery slope that led to the national shame of Captain Hook and Finsbury Park Mosque.

We were a laughing stock around the world. :(

I think we probably still are. I was watching the US Congress meeting this afternoon. Much pontificating and no mention of the Brit who'd been beheaded or the poor man next in line, just the two Americans. No surprise as all we seem to be is their obedient lap dog thanks to good old Tony.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It really irritates me when Obama says that Islam is a religion of peace. What makes his interpretation of Islam more valid than those within ISIS?

Like others have said, wherever Islam goes, it brings trouble.
  • Keyser_Soze1Keyser_Soze1 Posts: 25,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It really irritates me when Obama says that Islam is a religion of peace. What makes his interpretation of Islam more valid than those within ISIS?

I watched the first of a new series called 'Ancient Black Ops' on Yesterday last night.

The first episode was about the Assassins.

My first thought about this very interesting documentary was that is was the Shias fighting the Sunnis for control of the Middle East - and that nothing has changed since then in almost a millenium.

And it never will. :(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's worrying because they don't care if they live or die - just as long as they please their 'God'.

The only thing we can be thankful for is that when they commit atrosities, they usually blow themselves up, leaving the world with one less muslim.
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,232
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's worrying because they don't care if they live or die - just as long as they please their 'God'.

The only thing we can be thankful for is that when they commit atrosities, they usually blow themselves up, leaving the world with one less muslim.

So you think that the world would be a better place without Muslims?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The world would be far better off with Islam (and all religions). Those who follow it contribute to its rise.
  • What name??What name?? Posts: 26,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For people raised in the UK I think these British jihadist have remarkably little knowledge if the British psyche or they are incredibly convoluted and want to push us into war in the Middle East. This is a realty bizarre strategy. Auvergne they think provoking western intervention will get more of the Muslim world onside.
  • Speak-SoftlySpeak-Softly Posts: 24,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For people raised in the UK I think these British jihadist have remarkably little knowledge if the British psyche or they are incredibly convoluted and want to push us into war in the Middle East. This is a realty bizarre strategy. Auvergne they think provoking western intervention will get more of the Muslim world onside.

It will.

If anything should have been learnt over the last 30 years, it is that there are growing numbers of Islamasists born and raised in the west, who hate what they are and what we are and their answer is to kill.

But apparently the biggest threat is a bunch of ignoramuses marching through the streets shouting En-Ger-Land here, and whatever they shout elsewhere in the world.:confused:
  • AxtolAxtol Posts: 8,480
    Forum Member
    As the rebels in Syria are made up entirely of Islamic State and other similar outfits I don't understand why America can even consider arming them and all this talk of "moderates" is nonsense exactly how can you have a moderate jihadist?
  • dragonzorddragonzord Posts: 1,585
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    anne_666 wrote: »
    Why? Their ideology encompasses many of the same abhorrent principles as IS. Some of them are also not averse to using violence. Therefore comparisons can be made. No-one has said they are the same.

IS is more evil than EDL.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,954
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The vast majority of Islamists are peaceful and just because a miniscule minority aren't you cannot assume it's all about religion as it isn't.

The trouble is that some people are plain stupid and I'm sure Obama and other world leaders have to keep reminding people that the fight is not against the Islam religion.
  • The MartianThe Martian Posts: 1,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Andrew-W wrote: »
    The vast majority of Islamists are peaceful and just because a miniscule minority aren't you cannot assume it's all about religion as it isn't.

The trouble is that some people are plain stupid and I'm sure Obama and other world leaders have to keep reminding people that the fight is not against the Islam religion.

Islamist

adj: supporting or advocating Islamic fundamentalism

n: a supporter or advocate of Islamic fundamentalism

It's not a minuscule minority either.
  • GeneralissimoGeneralissimo Posts: 6,289
    Forum Member

Absolutely. As long as you do everything they say.
  • dragonzorddragonzord Posts: 1,585
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

How many of muslims like homosexuals and treat women as equals.
  • 2+2=52+2=5 Posts: 24,264
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

If you think beheading someone is normal then there's something seriously wrong.
    That's what makes Obama's (and my) interpretation of Islam more valid than those within ISIS.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Islamist

adj: supporting or advocating Islamic fundamentalism

n: a supporter or advocate of Islamic fundamentalism

If it wasn't a minority, then we'd be seeing thousands of people being murdered by these sorts of Muslims all over the planet every hour of every day. Clearly that 'logic' has no place in reality because we aren't seeing this. I believe it's a minority because I see far more Muslims living lives like ordinary normal non-Muslims.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    2+2=5 wrote: »
    If it wasn't a minority, then we'd be seeing thousands of people being murdered by these sorts of Muslims all over the planet every hour of every day. Clearly that 'logic' has no place in reality because we aren't seeing this. I believe it's a minority because I see far more Muslims living lives like ordinary normal non-Muslims.

http://www.thereligionofpeace.com/pages/opinion-polls.htm
  • I, CandyI, Candy Posts: 3,710
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

So you think that the vast majority of Islamists (not Muslims) want fundamental Islam to take over the world in a peaceful way?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Believe what you want to believe if it helps justify your position. I prefer to believe what's in front of my eyes in the reality of life.

I'm sure you have plenty of links like that backed up and prepared for 'debate'. I have little interest in such games.

My point stands and you've done nothing to challenge it. Please do so through logic, conversation and argument. Not through a 'partisan' website. If it was a majority, then logically I myself would be committing some sort of terrorist campaign. Yet I'm not. Why is that?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I, Candy wrote: »
    So you think that the vast majority of Islamists (not Muslims) want fundamental Islam to take over the world in a peaceful way?

No. Are you saying that's what the discussion point was?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Believe what you want to believe if it helps justify your position. I prefer to believe what's in front of my eyes in the reality of life.

I'm sure you have plenty of links like that backed up and prepared for 'debate'. I have little interest in such games.

My point stands and you've done nothing to challenge it. Please do so through logic, conversation and argument. Not through a 'partisan' website. If it was a majority, then logically I myself would be committing some sort of terrorist campaign. Yet I'm not. Why is that?

The 'partisan' website links to external sites to show where they are getting the numbers from. Sites like The Telegraph, CBSNews, The Scotsman, PewResearch etc.

Where did I say it was a majority?
  • I, CandyI, Candy Posts: 3,710
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No. Are you saying that's what the discussion point was?

Well, yes as it happens. You responded to a post giving a definition of Islamist by saying that the vast majority of Islamists are peaceful. Even if the vast majority of them have not in fact carried out beheadings or other such atrocities, it does not mean that the vast majority of Islamists do not support these acts.

Of course, if you are actually talking about Muslims as a whole then that is something different.