andy williams - what did you do while he was 'singing'

cattcatt Posts: 1,599
Forum Member
✭✭✭
i made tea :D,

did you sit through it without cringeing? honestly?
i missed the pro dance - i didnt care!!
lol

Comments

• Jan2555*GG*Jan2555*GG* Posts: 11,064
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sat in stunned silence feeling very sad that no one stepped in to stop this wonderful wonderful singer (in his prime that is) from making such a monumental mistake.
  • FarmLoonFarmLoon Posts: 772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I looked up Wikipedia to see how old he was, then turned the sound down. I looked him up singing Moon River on YouTube circa 1965 and listened to that instead. Gorgeous.:)
  • David TeeDavid Tee Posts: 22,833
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Realised, not for the first time, that we're all getting older.

Thankfully most us don't have to demonstrate the fact live on National TV.

Sad to see.
  • cattcatt Posts: 1,599
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    it was painful i agree and sad.. :(

why didnt they have babs streisand???, she was here on fri night yes?
    what a coup that would have been
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Barbra (believe it or not) hates performing live and does it rarely but I agree that would have been spectacular.
  • valkayvalkay Posts: 15,726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought he was dead!
  • Strictly_IrishStrictly_Irish Posts: 18,757
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think it was admirable. I've never heard of him though... He has a good voice for his age.

Was he wearing runners? :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,928
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I feel the same about most of these male singers who drag themselves on and on well past their prime, but I did watch it and just sang very loudly over the top...:o

I reckon Andy Williams was just invited on to make Brucie look a bit less old and foolish :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,856
    Forum Member
    valkay wrote: »
    I thought he was dead!

Me too. I cringed for him. I thought his voice was going to give up sometimes. I wonder why he's putting himself throught it, surely he doesn't need the money.
  • Agent KrycekAgent Krycek Posts: 39,269
    Forum Member
    Me and the OH decided that would be a good moment to step into the garden and have a ciggie after the first couple of seconds.
  • Abbasolutely 40Abbasolutely 40 Posts: 15,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I sat and felt sad that he didnt go out a few years ago on a high and that it was simply dreadfull .
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I couldn't stay in the same room either, went and put some washing into the machine. Saved time on Sunday morning too. :D

Tragic, I'd call it. What a honey-smooth voice he used to have. Bruce doesn't only look good in comparison, Bruce IS good in comparison. He's not doddery, just irritatingly vain for saying that himself.

As for why AW carries on; Wikipedia tells us he has his own 2000-seat 'theater' in Branson, Missouri. "Where?" I hear you cry.
    Exactly, it must be hard to fill a showhall that big in a small town in the Ozark Mts, often enough to pay for the running costs. Maybe that's why Andy is still hitting the road at 83, with a dodgy voice.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think he is promoting a CD that I saw advertised on the TV....fine do some chat shows and see if Strictly will do a pro dance to a 'recorded' version of one of your songs......I was so sad to see him singing so badly. I blame people around him family ??? management ?? who didnt talk him out of it.
  • SaraV1308SaraV1308 Posts: 9,760
    Forum Member
    It was sad to see him sing (not) like that.

My gran was a huge Andy Williams fan and had loads of his records (see he is old!)... when I was growing up (ahem... 20 years ago)....

I was staggered he was so bad... and personally if he is promoting a CD... that advert is less likely that I will buy it than ever. Saw the ad for the CD last night and I didnt realise he sang the Impossible Dream....

But that singing slot on Strictly made even the singers seem like opera divas.... (with the standard of singing that is)...
  • conchieconchie Posts: 14,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In his hey day, there was no voice like Andy Williams.... just pure velvet that would melt the hardest of hearts the moment he would start to sing. Moon River remains one of the most beautiful songs in the world when heard sung by Andy Williams - I might add in his hey day that is.

I too just felt for the man on SCD. There is a reason the word retirement exists, ohh its so sad to see such a great man looking so old and feeble, with the obvious wobble to the voice that comes with advanced age. Its not a memory for the fans to keep. I would imagine he and Bruce are around the same age, early eighties, and yet my goodness, it only brought it home just how WITH IT Brucie is. I will stick to the best of Andy Williams which has pride of place on my ipod in future when I want to listen to his velvet tones.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,928
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's the bubble such long years of fame puts you in isn't it? You've been doing what you do for several decades, your family and fans revere you as a legend, you've sold millions of records and there are still people clamouring to meet you.

Your agent, record company etc are still making money from your appearances, so they're not likely to turn around and say 'sorry mate, but I don't think you can cut it any more'.

And then there's the way fame can warp some people's heads and get them thinking they're 'it' when they're not. I would be surprised if that kind of attitude was ingrained in a guy who's been around for such a long time though.

Maybe he needs to perform because he's afraid that if he admits he's not up to it and stops, he'll have to admit he's retired and thus has one foot in the grave?

Anyway, he's far from the only one. Sinatra did it, Tom Jones is still doing it. There's obviously some sort of taboo against telling male singers they're past it.

Just out of interest, anyone know what Vera Lynn sounds like these days? :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Whoa there Lorelei Lee! Tom Jones did a set at Glastonbury this year and more than held his own. I haven't deleted it from my DVD recorder.
    Vera Lynn? She sang a couple of lines from White Cliffs on a BBC regional news recently. I heard her, you don't need to.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,911
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    walked the dog :D
  • SeymourSeymour Posts: 8,248
    Forum Member
    Well I think when singers ... and celeb dancers hit sixty they should be gagged and tied. :D:D Back to the question what did I do? I felt very sad but I did listen.
  • Gill PGill P Posts: 21,587
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Went to the toilet!
  • jjackson42jjackson42 Posts: 9,202
    Forum Member
    valkay wrote: »
    I thought he was dead!

It was hard to tell!!

JJ
  • calamitycalamity Posts: 12,894
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    my hubby thought he was dead too, when I shouted to him about Andys singing, he must be tiny too, he looked lost standing up there.
  • BIDIE-INBIDIE-IN Posts: 1,734
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cringed - on his behalf.:o

Best argument I have ever seen for lip-synching a track.

I wonder how far into rehearsals the BBC realised they had make a mistake? Having announced last week that he would be singing, they had to carry on......
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 92
    Forum Member
    Changed the channel, I love Moon River but I couldn't handle hearing him sing it like that. A real shame because he was so great in his day ):
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I found it quite emotional - I actually think that his advanced age and reduced ability to sing added some poignancy to the song, which is already a tearjerker.