James Bond 23 - 'Skyfall'

Comments

• RebelScumRebelScum Posts: 16,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    PvG wrote: »
    I've just had a mail saying my blu-ray preorder has been upgraded to the steel book.

Me too:

"We're pleased to inform you that we've upgraded your order of Skyfall on Blu-ray to a limited edition Steelbook version at no extra cost. This version has only just been made available by the manufacturer and is exactly the same Blu-ray + DVD + Digital copy product, but packaged in a premium tin Steelbook instead of the standard plastic casing used on most Blu-ray/DVD products.

As you had already pre-ordered this item, we wanted you to automatically receive this premium edition, which only has limited quantities available."
  • welshkidwelshkid Posts: 2,192
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PvG wrote: »
    I've just had a mail saying my blu-ray preorder has been upgraded to the steel book.

Me also. Thanks Amazon :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,305
    Forum Member
    Just pre-ordered it on Amazon in the hope that it gets upgraded to the Steelbook edition (i can't see the Steelbook option anywhere on the site as of the time of writing). Kind of annoyed at HMV for not even telling us if our orders are definitely cancelled, and with them not even allowing us to log into our accounts to manually cancel orders i'll be very annoyed if i end up with two copies because of their lack of customer care. I know they're in trouble at the moment, but even so...

I'm assuming that people who ordered the Looper steelbook from HMV prior to the website going down didn't receive it?
  • grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,695
    Forum Member
    I really want the Steelbook but I'd rather ask for it as a birthday pressie or something :o I've been buying quite a lot of films lately so I think I'll stop for now. :o
  • RebelScumRebelScum Posts: 16,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Deleted
  • welshkidwelshkid Posts: 2,192
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CJClarke wrote: »
    Just pre-ordered it on Amazon in the hope that it gets upgraded to the Steelbook edition (i can't see the Steelbook option anywhere on the site as of the time of writing). Kind of annoyed at HMV for not even telling us if our orders are definitely cancelled, and with them not even allowing us to log into our accounts to manually cancel orders i'll be very annoyed if i end up with two copies because of their lack of customer care. I know they're in trouble at the moment, but even so...

I'm assuming that people who ordered the Looper steelbook from HMV prior to the website going down didn't receive it?

Link for the Amazon Steelbook edition

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00B5W9I5K
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,305
    Forum Member
    welshkid wrote: »
    Link for the Amazon Steelbook edition

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00B5W9I5K

• Syntax ErrorSyntax Error Posts: 27,803
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't believe this film is still showing in the cinema!

I went to see The Last Stand today at Showcase in Gorton, Manchester & Skyfall is still showing 3 times a day!
  • koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I don't get it, Skyfall wins best British Film.

What was so good about it? (apart from making lots of money).

It felt empty compared to other Bond films.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    It's British history and never won an award has it? Also isn't it 50 years or something.

Just a big up for the franchise (sorry for using that word :D)
  • BlurayBluray Posts: 661
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well deserved - a truly brilliant film.
  • Johnny ClayJohnny Clay Posts: 5,328
    Forum Member
    grimtales1 wrote: »
    Wouldnt it be cool if Skyfall overtook TDKR and ended in 7th place (007) on the all time list? :cool:
    :cool: indeed

http://boxofficemojo.com/alltime/world/

Could go even higher (they're loving it in China - $56m already).
  • Muttley76Muttley76 Posts: 97,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It felt empty compared to other Bond films.

I don't think it was perfect, as per my review up thread, but I'm pleased it won. I think it was a big improvement on pretty much any Bond film since Connery's day, frankly.
  • lordOfTimelordOfTime Posts: 22,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It felt empty compared to other Bond films

I felt empty when I watched it. Until the Skyfall Mansion sequence.
  • koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    lordOfTime wrote: »

Yes but that scene could have still been in a more fulfilling film.

Everything else felt too much like set pieces just for the sake of them.
  • FBIFBI Posts: 817
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bluray wrote: »
    Ah yes, because Daniel Craig wrote it, directed it, produced it........ Basically you just don't like Daniel Craig otherwise you wouldn't have pinned it all on him.

Yes it's not Craig's fault his Bond films are dreadful - it's down to the appalling writing. I bet if you asked Craig for an honest opinion on Skyfall he'd say it was rubbish and he'd be right.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,198
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lordOfTime wrote: »
    I hated it. I couldn't make head nor tail of any plot for the first hour or so and thought it was way too clever or pretentious for it's own good.
    It's the first Bond I've watched in years though so maybe I'm jaded. I much preferred when it was a tongue-in-cheek crime caper with it's iconic theme tune.
    I did like the new Q though.
    But killing off Judi? Not on :mad:
  • Ted CTed C Posts: 11,731
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tally wrote: »
    I hated it. I couldn't make head nor tail of any plot for the first hour or so and thought it was way too clever or pretentious for it's own good.
    It's the first Bond I've watched in years though so maybe I'm jaded. I much preferred when it was a tongue-in-cheek crime caper with it's iconic theme tune.
    I did like the new Q though.
    But killing off Judi? Not on :mad:

"I couldn't make head nor tail of any plot for the first hour or so"

Are you kidding? It was literally spoonfed to you and explained in detail as the movie went on.

You either didn't pay attention or you nodded off.

Really...of all the critiscisms you could level (and it has it's flaws), a difficult to follow plot is not one of them.
  • The TerminatorThe Terminator Posts: 5,312
    Forum Member
    Yeah count me as another who's dumbfounded as to how someone couldn't grasp the relatively simple plot.
    Forum Member
    Yeah, it was a good plot, but since I've seen the movie I thought it reminded me of the Goldeneye story (where Bond is betrayed by a friend and fellow agent who turns rogue), Skyfall transfers that story to M, imo. But I still really enjoyed the film :D
  • Ted CTed C Posts: 11,731
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    grimtales1 wrote: »
    Yeah, it was a good plot, but since I've seen the movie I thought it reminded me of the Goldeneye story (where Bond is betrayed by a friend and fellow agent who turns rogue), Skyfall transfers that story to M, imo. But I still really enjoyed the film :D

Don't get the connection at all.

Sean Beans character in Goldeneye was a friend and fellow agent, but Silva had long ceased to be an agent, and was neither a friend nor even known of by Bond.

And how is the story in any way connected to M's plotline in Skyfall? In Skyfall she is being set up and made to look like she may be guilty of something, but it quickly becomes apparent someone is not only trying to frame her, but also to eventually kill her.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,198
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "I couldn't make head nor tail of any plot for the first hour or so"

Are you kidding? It was literally spoonfed to you and explained in detail as the movie went on.

You either didn't pay attention or you nodded off.

Really...of all the critiscisms you could level (and it has it's flaws), a difficult to follow plot is not one of them.
    Yeah count me as another who's dumbfounded as to how someone couldn't grasp the relatively simple plot.

Maybe I'm getting senile. The person I was watching it with thought the same, so it wasn't just me! :D But I wasn't paying 100% attention at the beginning, I was waiting for the Bond Theme like the olden days!

I probably wasn't paying attention as I didn't know what country it was set in either, which I presume came up on screen. I'd say I'd watch it again, but I'd rather watch Zero Dark Thirty another time. Now that was gripping. :p Though, to be fair, I did know the ending of that one.
    Forum Member
    Don't get the connection at all.

Sean Beans character in Goldeneye was a friend and fellow agent, but Silva had long ceased to be an agent, and was neither a friend nor even known of by Bond.

And how is the story in any way connected to M's plotline in Skyfall? In Skyfall she is being set up and made to look like she may be guilty of something, but it quickly becomes apparent someone is not only trying to frame her, but also to eventually kill her.

True but M knew him, my bad :o I meant rather the Skyfall story is from M's POV not Bond's.
  • Martin PhillpMartin Phillp Posts: 34,899
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Prices of the DVD on new release day.

Morrisons: £9.99/£14.99 Blu-Ray
    Sainsburys: £14.99 (or £7 if you spend over £30 instore) £18.99 Blu-Ray (£12 with £30 spend)
    Tesco: £10/£15 Blu-Ray.
    Asda: As Tesco.

Are HMV which have recently started selling new stock again selling at the RRP?