Weight Loss Thread - 2013 Edition

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,982
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    molliepops wrote: »
    You want to lose weight though and that isn't happening on those figure so you need to eat less calories, most people on diets go down to between 1200 to 1600 exceptional cases some lose on 1800, all depends on amount of exercise you do.

Okay fair enough, but that's what I'm trying to work out - the amount of excercise I need to do in relation the amount of calories I consume. Nobody has given an answer to that yet.
  • oscardelahoyaoscardelahoya Posts: 4,902
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Citadel wrote: »
    My understanding is that a healthy weight/diet consists of between 2000-2500 calories a day?

It depends on loads of different things. Are you male/female, how tall are you, how much do you weigh? What kind of exercise do you do on a normal day?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Okay fair enough, but that's what I'm trying to work out - the amount of excercise I need to do in relation the amount of calories I consume. Nobody has given an answer to that yet.

This also depends on what exercise you are doing, how much effort you put in, and if you weigh 20 stone already you would burn a lot more calories that if you are 12 stone for example.

What you want to do is aim to reduce your calories by 500-1000 a day with a combination of diet and exercise to lose 1-2lb a week.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It depends on loads of different things. Are you male/female, how tall are you, how much do you weigh? What kind of exercise do you do on a normal day?

Male, 5'9", 18 stone (aiming for 12), I do very very little excercise but I want to change now.
  • molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You may have to lose some first to make exercising possible depending how fit you are already. And that means losing some of those calories.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You may have to lose some first to make exercising possible depending how fit you are already. And that means losing some of those calories.

I will definitely work on those calories. I am going to step up the excercise but I'll take it slowly, don't worry! :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Glad to hear it don't want to see anyone posting they have done themselves a mischief running before they can walk :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Glad to hear it don't want to see anyone posting they have done themselves a mischief running before they can walk :D

I am daft, but not that daft! :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think you would lose weight on 2000 calories a day, especially if you add in some walking. You could probably lose 1lb a week on 2000 calories at the weight you are. Use an online calculator to estimate many calories your exercise burns. I put in your figures here and it estimates 400 calories an hour walking 3 miles an hour . http://walking.about.com/library/cal/uccalc1.htm
    If you are carrying bags or going up hills it will be more.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/ is a good website, even if you can't be bothered to log your food each day have a look at it and it will work out a daily calorie goal for you, it will give you estimated calorie usage for lots of different execises too.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's interesting, thanks! :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just be careful though as a lot of the foods on the data base are wrongly counted, I only realised a few weeks ago but no one seems to care enough to answer my emails to them.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ginger Nut wrote: »
    Todays weigh in:

Start: 15st 2lb
    Last: 14st 4lb
    Today: 14st 2lb Another 2lb dropped although the Wii reports I've lost 3lb somehow.

Anyway, that's the first stone out of the way. :D

Last: 14st 2lb
    Today: 14st 1lb Only 1lb gone. Bit disappointed with that. Still going in the right direction though.

Need to focus on the next 10 days and drop a little more. Maybe 0.5 stone by the end of March.

Went for a first run this morning in months. To my surprise I was a touch faster than the last time I went. Still slow but not the big drop backwards I was expecting. Obviously being a stone lighter helps. Not sure my legs will be thinking that tomorrow though.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Last: 14st 2lb
    Today: 14st 1lb Only 1lb gone. Bit disappointed with that. Still going in the right direction though.

Need to focus on the next 10 days and drop a little more. Maybe 0.5 stone by the end of March.

Went for a first run this morning in months. To my surprise I was a touch faster than the last time I went. Still slow but not the big drop backwards I was expecting. Obviously being a stone lighter helps. Not sure my legs will be thinking that tomorrow though.

Well done! :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well done! :)

Thank you. I never thought a thread like this would provide so much support and the purpose to keep going. Forcing myself to be obliged to provide weigh-in details has really helped. :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Forcing myself to be obliged to provide weigh-in details on this thread has really helped. :D

Think I might do that meself when I get started! :D
  • HetalHetal Posts: 5,415
    Forum Member
    Finally reached my target. :)
  • NaturalDancerNaturalDancer Posts: 5,128
    Forum Member
    You want to lose weight though and that isn't happening on those figure so you need to eat less calories, most people on diets go down to between 1200 to 1600 exceptional cases some lose on 1800, all depends on amount of exercise you do.

Aren't those figures for women?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hetal wrote: »
    Finally reached my target. :)

Well done !
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aren't those figures for women?

If 2000 isn't working even for a man he will have to lower his calories. What would you suggest ?
  • netcurtainsnetcurtains Posts: 23,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was my youngests birthday party today, I was determined not to eat any of their food but I ended up eating pizza and cake, my willpower took a hike!
    Tomorrow I'm going out for a meal with the family for Mother's day and I just know my good intentions will take another hike as I look at the menu!
    I will be glad when it's Monday and I can get back to normal instead of being surrounded by fattening temptations!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If 2000 isn't working even for a man he will have to lower his calories. What would you suggest ?

To be fair I probably consume 3000-4000 a day easily myself. However, with a bit of foresight I know I could cutback to between 1500-2000 calories a day.

2500 is what an average man consumes but given that I'm 6 stone overweight, I need to consume less than that until further notice! :)
  • PhilT1808PhilT1808 Posts: 594
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's March and I'm still going with the new year's resolution to lose weight.

Starting: 15st
    Now: 13st9

Total loss = 19lbs

I'm using a calorie counter app and have been consuming around 1800 per day. Most days I eat more calories but have been exercising for at least 20-30 minutes every day. So far I've found the following:

Positives:

I enjoy the food I'm eating
    Haven't had indigestion once (used to get it regularly)
    Dropped waist size from 36-34
    Compliments from people

Negatives:

Boring people with calorie counting
    Trying to avoid alcohol - I now have a couple of Coors Lights at the weekend and that's about it! Miss red wine :mad:

Overall - As I've been doing weights as well for the last 3 months I'm starting to see muscles that I haven't seen since my early 20s so I/m very :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    PhilT1808 wrote: »
    It's March and I'm still going with the new year's resolution to lose weight.

Starting: 15st
    Now: 13st9

Total loss = 19lbs

I'm using a calorie counter app and have been consuming around 1800 per day. Most days I eat more calories but have been exercising for at least 20-30 minutes every day. So far I've found the following:

Positives:

I enjoy the food I'm eating
    Haven't had indigestion once (used to get it regularly)
    Dropped waist size from 36-34
    Compliments from people

Negatives:

Boring people with calorie counting
    Trying to avoid alcohol - I now have a couple of Coors Lights at the weekend and that's about it! Miss red wine :mad:

Overall - As I've been doing weights as well for the last 3 months I'm starting to see muscles that I haven't seen since my early 20s so I/m very :D

Well done, you're doing really well.
    I always feel much better when I'm eating healthier. I haven't had to have a Rennies now for 2 weeks.
  • WinterFireWinterFire Posts: 9,509
    Forum Member
    Congratulations to Ginger Nut and Hetal for their loss. Good luck for Netcurtains for food avoidance this weekend or a quick catch-up during the week. Apologies to anyone that I missed.