An American Werewolf in London

laurence1870laurence1870 Posts: 213
Forum Member
Any appreciation for this fantastic cult movie?

In my opinion, it is one of the greatest horrors ever made, with a bit of comedy and romance thrown in. My family come from North Yorkshire and there are travellers who to this day make sure they keep to the road because if this movie.

Comments

• The AmbassadorThe Ambassador Posts: 5,631
    Forum Member
    One of my all-time favourites.

One of a very few films that succeed at being both scary and very funny.

Ground breaking werewolf transformation, Griffin Dunne's in limbo Jack hilariously decaying more and more each time he appears, Blue Moon, Moondance & Bad Moon Rising and of course the beautiful Jenny Agutter in & out of nurses uniform.

A Classic.
  • Peter VenkmanPeter Venkman Posts: 1,769
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, I have appreciation for it.

My favourite scenes are the first attack on the moors and the tube station attack.
  • SJ_MentalSJ_Mental Posts: 16,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's great, My only grumble is once the action really gets going it's nearly over.
  • dee123dee123 Posts: 46,268
    Forum Member
    Just brought it on Blu-ray the other week :D
  • goldberry1goldberry1 Posts: 2,699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes it's a great film - I have it on DVD.

I used to do a lot of hiking and still do sometimes - including the North York Moors and the Yorkshire Dales. There's been a few times on gloomy Autumn/Winter evenings at the end of the walks when it's got a bit creepy and this film always came to mind. There used to be a pub in Alston where we sometimes ended up after usually bleak walks, as night was falling - the motif on the draught beer lever was a ...wolf....

the locals looked a bit suspicious too;)
  • gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Was there a pentagram on the wall?
  • dazbdazb Posts: 3,247
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fancy a cuppa in the Slaughtered Lamb, classic film.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Was there a pentagram on the wall?

No - but it's a strange thing - I've been in a village church once and when looking around spied a pentagram chalked on a bench in the vestry - I think it was one of the choir boys mucking around - I hope!

I think they filmed a lot of American Werewolf in Wales - may be mistaken.
  • ChristopherJChristopherJ Posts: 976
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The interior shots of the pub were filmed in London, iirc, and some of the 'regulars' were from the cast of a play on in London at the time.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 46
    Forum Member
    In my top 10 horror films of all time this is. Clearly made for buttons, and spent all the budget on the rick baker make up for the transformation scene, but there is just something about it I love.

I love wearing this tshirt on a regular basis too http://www.lastexittonowhere.com/shop/product/the-slaughtered-lamb/
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In my top 10 horror films of all time this is. Clearly made for buttons, and spent all the budget on the rick baker make up for the transformation scene, but there is just something about it I love.

I love wearing this tshirt on a regular basis too http://www.lastexittonowhere.com/shop/product/the-slaughtered-lamb/

I love that T-shirt!
    Forum Member
    goldberry1 wrote: »
    I love that T-shirt!

It's super cool isn't it? Be careful on that site though its an absolute money pit for me! Just have to have most of if not all of the shirts on there!
  • TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Aw, it's out of stock. I would buy that for my brother's birthday (29 Dec). He loves AAWIL. Let's see what else is there.
  • Ancient IDTVAncient IDTV Posts: 10,174
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't like many horror films, but I like this one. I've found it good for repeat viewings.
  • mikwmikw Posts: 48,715
    Forum Member
    A great film!

When the boy in the zoo says "Mummy, a naked American just stole my balloons" it's hilarious, probably unitentionally.

Top film
  • rikstan87rikstan87 Posts: 2,359
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    love this film, never tire of watching it.

one thing i love is that the same guy who directed it, also directed Thriller!!
    Forum Member
    rikstan87 wrote: »
    love this film, never tire of watching it.

one thing i love is that the same guy who directed it, also directed Thriller!!

He also directed National Lampoons Animal House and The Blues Brothers too. Perhaps less impressively though Oscar starring Sylvester Stallone.
  • MicknsivMicknsiv Posts: 187
    Forum Member
    One of my favourite movies ever. It's just a classic isn't it! Terrifying and at times hilarious. Sergeant McManus' antics still make me laugh.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53,142
    Forum Member
    its great film...

A naked man had stolen my balloons :D
  • spiney2spiney2 Posts: 27,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i once almost got lost on ilkley moor in fog ....... seems very true to life.

jenny agutter. enough said.

this is the best AAWIL appreciation thread since the last one .......
  • spiney2spiney2 Posts: 27,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The interior shots of the pub were filmed in London, iirc, and some of the 'regulars' were from the cast of a play on in London at the time.

was brian glover not appearing in the cantebury tales ?
  • stvn758stvn758 Posts: 19,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    One of those stand out movies, still don't think they have matched the transformation scene in any werewolf film since, black humour and Jenny Agutter.
  • pburke90pburke90 Posts: 14,758
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He also directed National Lampoons Animal House and The Blues Brothers too. Perhaps less impressively though Oscar starring Sylvester Stallone.
    And that Twilight Zone film in which a man and two children were decapitated on set by a malfunctioning helicopter.
  • Big Boy BarryBig Boy Barry Posts: 35,389
    Forum Member
    It's awesome. By far the best werewolf movie. I preferred the days when being a werewolf was a curse and a very unpleasant experience, rather than the days when being a werewolf means you're a terrible actor walking around pointlessly with no shirt on showing how muscular you are.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,174
    Forum Member
    It's a great movie. To this day, I still think of the tube scene whenever i'm on it, walking empty corridors :D And I loved the dark humour of it when David started to meet all his victims, who got progressively more decomposed each time :D