Options

James Arthur confirms Syco departure "The future is bright"

spaceoddityspaceoddity Posts: 4,814
Forum Member
✭✭✭
James Arthur has confirmed that he is no longer signed to Simon Cowell's record label Syco.

It was first reported in April that the label had dropped the former X Factor winner, but Arthur has denied any split before now.

"Just to clear things up - I am no longer with Syco. I would like to thank all at the label for making a great record with me," Arthur tweeted today (June 11).

"I now have to move on and do something different - the future is bright! #LOVE."

The singer had reiterated at the end of May that he was unaware of any split with the label, saying: "People make up stories... which is something I'm not really sure how to handle, I don't know what to say about it. As far as I know I've got a record deal and nothing's changed."

However, he did go on to admit: "Obviously Syco and X Factor won't be happy with some of the things I've said against the brand which weren't intended in the way they've been taken."

Controversies surrounding the star have included the use of homophobic lyrics in a rap.

Cowell has previously said that Arthur should "shut up and just put the records out".

"I think James, unfortunately, has had so many issues with what he has done publicly - which is a real issue with me," the Syco boss explained.

Arthur made one self-titled album with Syco, reaching number two in the UK album charts.

Just a week after Leona announced her departure. Little Mix & Sam Bailey remain the only winner's left signed to the label.

Comments

• Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And with the greatest of respect to Sam Bailey, she's not exactly going to be filling Wembley Stadium any time soon.

Thing is, some smaller indie label will likely pick up Arthur in a heartbeat as they'll love the publicity he brings with his shenanigans.

But then he's only really got himself to blame here. Rather spectacular own goal really.
  • Options
    Luner13Luner13 Posts: 2,968
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    His future may be bright but I doubt his musical future will be bright without a major label and X Factor performance slots.
  • Options
    BryanandLucBryanandLuc Posts: 1,056
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No surprise, the surprise is that he lasted as long as he did
  • Options
    blueface2222blueface2222 Posts: 3,001
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I actually own James Album - its not anywhere the best output from the show but its good. I never liked him as a person however, even from the second he won. I always said things like 'You're Nobody because NOBODY loves you' and 'The most unlikeable reality tv winner ever' etc...

However, over time James has really really been a difficult one. His constant digs at other artists, X Factor contestants etc did not go unnoticed by Simon Cowell. It ALL MAKES SENSE why he was slagging off his management and promo team - i knew it THEN that he was dropped, no one signed would EVER do that i knew it when he slagged off his own debut single that he went on shows praising - and forbid co-write, how the heck do you slate songs you helped write i dont think i've ever seen that from any artist. The minute he started talking about XF he was dropped - its just been made official now. I remember when Matt said welcome to the flip heap i knew that meant he had been dropped.

However!!
    I sadly get a little tiny bit of satisification out of this dropping. He slagged off the other male winners previous to him Steve, Shayne, Leon, Joe and Matt. Especially the latter 4 produced very good records that were good. He labelled them all as puppets and slagged them off and said if they were unsuccessful it was because the music wasn't good and because they wern't good enough. Well James now that you are in the same boat, are you dropped because of your poor quality of your music NO - simple as with all the other male winners you didn't sell enough records that a winner is expected to sell he should have sold around about 300,000 minimum probably just for the label to break even. I think for them when Get Down (a good song with a decent video and promotion thanks to his rants) flopped there was no turning back. He only did 240k i think and Matt did a bit more than that. So, it's understandable but i think Simon also weighed up his attitude as well when he dropped him and made the decision.

On the night of XF when Ella was evicted (incidentally no.1 now) i would never have chosen James over Ella (its madness) in the judges decision. But i bought his album because i liked the single and some other songs. His poor attitude made him unlikeable and suddenly he had previous to that been doing quite good on sales - when he did this he probably expected more exposure would give him more sales and underneath it all he tried doing that but it backfired (perhaps it would make him interesting unlike the other male winners). His sales tanked and thus this.

The good news for him is however, we all learn from our mistakes and clearly he is a difficult charachter but i think the chance of him being taken by a indie record label is VERY high and i think even if that he could go independent.
  • Options
    rattierattie Posts: 7,050
    Forum Member
    Perhaps he denied it before because they hadn't told him at the time.

No one knows for sure what will happen with him musically but I suspect he may find many doors which once were open are now shut and he has the reputation of being difficult, so other labels may not be interested.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The editor of the Mirror:
    Following his tweet, I can confirm James Arthur was axed from Syco in last few days. Simon Cowell didn't take up 2nd album option.

https://twitter.com/mirrorjeffers/status/476829039165210624
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    I knew it THEN that he was dropped, no one signed would EVER do that i knew it when he slagged off his own debut single that he went on shows praising - and forbid co-write, how the heck do you slate songs you helped write i dont think i've ever seen that from any artist. The minute he started talking about XF he was dropped - its just been made official now. I remember when Matt said welcome to the flip heap i knew that meant he had been dropped.
    Or he's just kind of a jerk with severe mood swings. Simon actively said he wasn't dropped a few months ago, after the first rumors surfaced.
    He didn't sell enough records that a winner is expected to sell he should have sold around about 300,000 minimum probably just for the label to break even. I think for them when Get Down (a good song with a decent video and promotion thanks to his rants) flopped there was no turning back. He only did 240k i think and Matt did a bit more than that. So, it's understandable but i think Simon also weighed up his attitude as well when he dropped him and made the decision.
    Keep in mind it's not just UK album numbers or single placings, Union J probably didn't clear 100k sales and they're getting a second album and have a busy festival schedule coming up. The difference is that they can move a huge amount of merch to a passionate hardcore base and seem to have more growth potential.
  • Options
    Crabbie123Crabbie123 Posts: 8,478
    Forum Member
    No surprise, the surprise is that he lasted as long as he did

Especially after he slagged off the label and his own album on a recorded interview, so no chance of deleting the evidence, as is the norm with his tweets. I thought he would have been sacked that week, rather than a few months later. I am convinced, despite later denials, that the villain in "I Can't Sing" was a rather cruel caricature of James, and that speaks volumes about the attitude towards him. But James is his own worst enemy and has brought all this on himself - he has made himself unmarketable to the mainstream audience that Syco is interested in most.

All that said, I do respect him for publicly apologising to Matt, and I am sure there are a few independent labels that would happily sign him.
  • Options
    blueface2222blueface2222 Posts: 3,001
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nissl wrote: »
    Or he's just kind of a jerk with severe mood swings. Simon actively said he wasn't dropped a few months ago, after the first rumors surfaced.

Keep in mind it's not just UK album numbers or single placings, Union J probably didn't clear 100k sales and they're getting a second album and have a busy festival schedule coming up. The difference is that they can move a huge amount of merch to a passionate hardcore base and seem to have more growth potential.

Dont be sure of Union J either for all we know they've been dropped and with a small independent label or self-releasing. They didn't sell anywhere near to be honest and their 3rd single totally tanked. Whatever they say i don't believe, writing/recording an album may be talk of management continuing to work with them rather than anything else. It would go against every other artist that has been dropped who sold much more who didn't have their album contract renewed. I very much doubt the 2nd album will be under Sony.

I think with Sam we may get a christmas themed album at xmas and dependent on that they will do something else with her, she sold no wear near what she should have either despite first week sales being good.

Nicholas Mcdonald is more or less dropped.

Union J and Lucy Spraggen sold no were near enough. Very much doubt they'll be renewed.

I reckon that Rebecca Ferguson may be in risky place she did clear 100k so they may see her as a long term investment but if her third flops also she'll move somewhere else too.

Leona got dropped because even Christmas With Love didn't sell the big numbers Cowell hoped. Cowell's one track mind wanted a quick easy cash in album and even that didn't do it - themed albums are fave.

Don't believe Jahmene either. He's going on about a second album, and despite having an amazing voice and coming second they didn't put in the investment in him and treated him like Ray, Nicholas, Sam, Marcus etc - a quick mothers day cash in thats it. His album didn't sell enough either.

It's the truth...these people may release albums again but it won't be with Sony. Will Young talks in his book about how SonyBMG were tense about just even him clearing 400,000 with Let It Go. Sales expectations are high and you must go at least platinum. Look what Cowell did to Johnatan and Charlotte, first album wasn't as huge as hoped heck apparently they sold 250k - they still left Syco as Syco Cowell wants ridiculous sales.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I can see your thinking but I don't agree with some of your reasoning. You can't really compare sales of XF alumni from years ago when music sales were so much higher across the board. Expectations in terms of sales figures must logically be very different now with the labels. Only a very few can pull in platinum sales. Artists who sell over 100k are worth keeping on, like Rebecca.

Leona's sales of a Xmas album were good, that went gold as well. She may well have felt it was time to try something new as she was at the end of her term, especially if she already knew she had an offer from Island.

James sold over 120k here and he also sold well in Europe etc, so he was probably a platinum seller across the board, which he did claim himself on Twitter. Whether it justified the investment, I have no idea. They did seem to spend a lot on him, so perhaps that wasn't enough.

The Syco source quoted in the press said:
    "We have basically taken the decision not to take up the option of another album.

“James’ record sales were good but he has become a liability and he didn’t listen to anyone.

“He was told a few days ago and has now obviously made the news public himself.

"It is a shame this has happened but he hasn't helped himself."
  • Options
    MatejaMateja Posts: 731
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm not sure Leona got dropped. Her Christmas album and single sold okay, considering they were released only three weeks before Christmas.

But to be quite honest, it was time for her to move on from Syco and try to make music with someone else in charge. I do think Syco understood that. Sure, unless Leona's contract with them was up for renewal, they had options for more albums and could force her to stay with them. But often the labels let artists go upon request.

James Arthur got dropped because aside from his winner's single, nothing from his debut album era stuck. His album sales weren't even that dire, considering the overall decline in album sales. But no single stuck a chord with the public and due to his behaviour he got blacklisted by radio. Being blacklisted by radio is worse than bad album sales. Radio is the main promo for musicians.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 478
    Forum Member
    And with the greatest of respect to Sam Bailey, she's not exactly going to be filling Wembley Stadium any time soon.

Thing is, some smaller indie label will likely pick up Arthur in a heartbeat as they'll love the publicity he brings with his shenanigans.

But then he's only really got himself to blame here. Rather spectacular own goal really.

Could have been his goal all along- get the wider exposure then get signed elsewhere so he can have more control. He never seemed the typical Syco type.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    JFoster1 wrote: »
    Could have been his goal all along- get the wider exposure then get signed elsewhere so he can have more control. He never seemed the typical Syco type.

Except that plan doesn't work if you've got yourself blacklisted by radio and the press are anti. No platform to promote your music irrespective of an independent label's interest. Why would they be interested in someone they can't market?
  • Options
    drakhendrakhen Posts: 1,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    James' success in Europe was overestimated. Yes he had a big hit with Impossible, but none of the follow-up singles were successful and the album underperformed in most territories.
  • Options
    CharlotteswebCharlottesweb Posts: 18,680
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    drakhen wrote: »
    James' success in Europe was overestimated. Yes he had a big hit with Impossible, but none of the follow-up singles were successful and the album underperformed in most territories.

I think talking about record sales here is kind of redundant.

James Arthur was dropped because he's a gigantic dick, not because of his album.
  • Options
    annushkaannushka Posts: 3,959
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

James Arthur was dropped because he's a gigantic dick, not because of his album.

If he had sold as many albums as he sold his single Impossible in the UK & Europe, I think Syco might have looked passed the attitude & not dropped him (not that I can say for sure).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    annushka wrote: »
    If he had sold as many albums as he sold his single Impossible in the UK & Europe, I think Syco might have looked passed the attitude & not dropped him (not that I can say for sure).

I disagree. He included European venues in his tour and has gigs across Europe through the summer. He charted highly abroad and the bookings reflect that.
  • Options
    DaewosDaewos Posts: 8,345
    Forum Member

Excuse the pun but - bollocks. If his sales were what was wanted he could have been photographed kicking puppies for all Cowell would care.
  • Options
    jonner101jonner101 Posts: 3,410
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mateja wrote: »
    I'm not sure Leona got dropped. Her Christmas album and single sold okay, considering they were released only three weeks before Christmas.

But to be quite honest, it was time for her to move on from Syco and try to make music with someone else in charge. I do think Syco understood that. Sure, unless Leona's contract with them was up for renewal, they had options for more albums and could force her to stay with them. But often the labels let artists go upon request.

James Arthur got dropped because aside from his winner's single, nothing from his debut album era stuck. His album sales weren't even that dire, considering the overall decline in album sales. But no single stuck a chord with the public and due to his behaviour he got blacklisted by radio. Being blacklisted by radio is worse than bad album sales. Radio is the main promo for musicians.

Yeah a pretty reliable source has confirmed that Leona was in fact offered a new deal but turned it down in order to move to Island.
  • Options
    earldbestearldbest Posts: 3,894
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    James Arthur was practically asking to be dropped. If he focused on his craft instead of everything else, he could still be in Syco.
  • Options
    Hollie_LouiseHollie_Louise Posts: 39,991
    Forum Member
    Was pretty much just a matter of time, sales weren't amazing and his piss poor attitude won't have helped matters.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,888
    Forum Member
    He's only got himself to blame. He had talent on the show but it seems to have backfired on him with the whole I am better than you attitude. It's a shame none of the male winners have managed to make it work. I don't know with him, I like some of his songs but I never want to see an arse get any attention.

Steve and James through their own attitudes, Leon, Matt, Shayne and Joe however were nice guys and had some appeal to different markets but just weren't successful with the SyCo crowd.
  • Options
    boddismboddism Posts: 16,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I doubt James Arthur would succeed with an independent label. firstly his image is tainted by homophobia & arguments with people. Secondly his image as a "credible" act is ruined by his association with SYCO. He ain't no Ed Sheeran.
    When you get into bed with Cowell you need to have the brains to know the deal. Keep your head down for the first couple of albums & if your successful you can do your own thing later when you're established.
    James Arthur has been dumb. He should've KNOW the deal when signing up for the Cowell music machine- its not rocket science!
    Obscurity beckons.
  • Options
    boddismboddism Posts: 16,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Daewos wrote: »
    Excuse the pun but - bollocks. If his sales were what was wanted he could have been photographed kicking puppies for all Cowell would care.

I think if he'd sold tonnes Cowell would be more tolerant of him, but Cowell is a very image orientated guy. Look at how stage managed HIS image is!
    More important to Cowell is his brand & Arthur has been tainting that. Its not as of there was one outburst- its a chain of behaviour. Cowell has to think of his brand going forward & Arthur has become a liability.
    Its not about championing music with Cowell its about sales, image & brand. Arthur no longer fitted the profile so had to go.
  • Options
    Ray_SmithRay_Smith Posts: 1,372
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    James Arthur confirms Syco departure "The future is bright"

Perhaps he's going to work for telecommunication company Orange?

http://www.superdream.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/futures-bright-futures.jpg

:D