Jonathan Ross and Russell Brand fans *****Complain in your thousands******

Comments

• starbuckstarbuck Posts: 807
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's a shame that the tabloids say jump and a SMALL minority of self righteous shallow deluded people ask 'how high'

What's your source for this "small minority" ?. Either way if you don't like it perhaps they should do away with the TV Licence and the public wont have as much say
  • welwynrosewelwynrose Posts: 33,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Binnman wrote: »
    Yep for sure, as soon as your IQ goes above 10, you no longer find him funny. Just a sad old lecherous man.

Binnman

LOL that made me laugh - not sure what it means about my IQ though :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 224
    Forum Member
    The BBC is supposed to represent and cater for the people of the UK, I find some of it's output, old, dated, dull and of no interest, however, Russell Brands radio show was one of the best pieces of comedy put out by the BBC, I'm very sad to see it go.

If people don't like it, then they didn't have to listen - if they Daily Mail hadn't have made a massive issue of this we'd still be enjoying the show.

30,000 Mail readers have complained, how many of them actually listened to the show?

The BBC can't survive if it's forced to be a bland watered down version of other channels, it shouldn't have to tip-toe around, aiming to upset no one. Comedy can be a little 'edgey' at times and yes they maybe went a little far - surely Andrew Sach's agent knew the format of the show?

An apology should have been enough. Saying that "I pay my license fee, so I demand they're taken off the air" is nonsense, I pay my license fee and I don't like the archers or Eastenders, am I to demand that it's stripped from the airways? Of course not..
  • stateofgameplaystateofgameplay Posts: 3,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sebright wrote: »
    I've got an IQ in the top 5% of the population in the last test I took, but if you are really intelligent, you'll know that IQ tests actually test little more than talent in taking IQ tests. Basically, so what?

Well you are the one suggesting that you have to have a low IQ to appreciate Jonno Ross. Mine is higher than yours, so obviously you need a low IQ not to appreciate him.

Yes, I realise IQ tests mean rather little really, but if you realise it too, why even bring up IQs in the first place?

You Daily Mail reading complainers, you love taking both positions on things don't you! :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,055
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There are around 61,000,000 people in the UK and around 30,000 people complained.

By my estimates that is 0.049% of the population of this country, less than 0.05% of the country complains and the rest of us loose a show that we like to watch, pathetic really!
  • BinnmanBinnman Posts: 4,644
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rich2k wrote: »
    There are around 61,000,000 people in the UK and around 30,000 people complained.

By my estimates that is 0.049% of the population of this country, less than 0.05% of the country complains and the rest of us loose a show that we like to watch, pathetic really!

So Ross and Brand pulled in an audience of 60,970,000 listeners/viewers?

Gee wizz, memo to DG, increase these guys salary, they're worth more than they're getting ;)

Binnman
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,055
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Binnman wrote: »
    So Ross and Brand pulled in an audience of 60,970,000 listeners/viewers?

Gee wizz, memo to DG, increase these guys salary, they're worth more than they're getting ;)

Binnman

I didn't say that, but conversely how many of those 30,000 actually listened to the show when it was aired, I bet it wasn't many.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No! I'm trying to get people to write in!

I'd write in if I knew what address to contact.
  • Isle_Of_WeatherIsle_Of_Weather Posts: 4,344
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    having listened to RB radio show I think it is a blessing is disguise. It was weak, with weak cast members and little raison d'etre. At best the main thrust was him attempting a mock upper class accent and using little used verbose words.

Mostly it was about him, with his acolytes vaguely criticising him and then his fey indignation.

See, now I am sounding like him, gadzooks.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rich2k wrote: »
    I didn't say that, but conversely how many of those 30,000 actually listened to the show when it was aired, I bet it wasn't many.

Read your post again;
    less than 0.05% of the country complains and the rest of us lose a show that we like to watch

Binnman
  • wavy-davywavy-davy Posts: 7,122
    Forum Member
    Ross resigns from comedy awards.. :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    See, now I am sounding like him, gadzooks.

Now, now, that's quite enough. We'll march you off Kinnoull Hill, if you continue ;)

Binnman
  • daclickdaclick Posts: 3,393
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i cant believe ross has stepped down as host for the comedy awards this is pathetic
  • CAMERA OBSCURACAMERA OBSCURA Posts: 8,010
    Forum Member
    Frood wrote: »
    Well if you're sufficiently brain dead not to see that such calls are illegal and bring huge disrepute on to their employer (generally a sackable offense) - let alone actually thinking it 'funny' (:confused:) you can make a post like the above.

If you could point me to where in my I said I found the prank call funny I would be most grateful, or was this something you made up in order to respond.

Have the police been involved in this illegal crime or have they seen it for what it really was a highly ill thought out and disrespectful prank made in the 'heat' of the moment.

Mr Sachs isnt some bewildered old man, this guy has been in the business for years, he knows how things work and has probably seen and heard far worse in his time.

Ys, it was a prank that should never have happened, but jezz, who's died?
    Starbuck
    What's your source for this "small minority" ?. Either way if you don't like it perhaps they should do away with the TV License and the public wont have as much say

My source is seeing things with my own eyes and not jumping when the tabloids tell me to.

When the show was aired it received 2 complaints, in the context of the shows audience figures I would say that this is a small minority wouldn't you?

Since then because of the media hypo boil more people have complained, though does anyone really think the majority of complaints were for the prank call or just that the complainants just do not like Brand and or Ross, that seem to be the real crux of the complaints, but tough, many people DO like them.

So now we are left with 30000 complaints, still in the context of actual audience figures it is STILL a minority, no? or do you disagree.
    :)
  • ftakeith2ftakeith2 Posts: 3,002
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Here in Ireland comedian Tommy tiernan's appearance on the late late show did much worst things than Brand by slagging off persons in worst bad taste

So British persons just grow up I am put off by Brand's and Ross behaviour

Come to Irish tv for much worse fare
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    daclick wrote: »
    i cant believe ross has stepped down as host for the comedy awards this is pathetic

Then you should tell Mr Ross that.

He stepped down, was not sacked.

Binnman
  • stateofgameplaystateofgameplay Posts: 3,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    starbuck wrote: »
    What's your source for this "small minority" ?. Either way if you don't like it perhaps they should do away with the TV Licence and the public wont have as much say

37,500 complaints
    2,000,000 listeners

2 complaints in the 7 days it was available to listen to online.
    37,500 complaints from day 8 to day 13.

2 complaints - 1 millionth of 1 percent of the listeners
    37,500 complaints - 1.875% of the listeners

50,000,000 is the audience number the BBC use for ALL of their audience across all stations.

37,500 complaints is 0.075% of their entire audience.
    2 complaints is a 25 millionth of 1 percent of the listeners.
    I think you'll find that it isn't just a minority, its a mathematical inconsequential statistical minority.
  • OreoOreo Posts: 1,145
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    daclick wrote: »

It would be impossible. Every utterance he made would be transcribed in the Daily Mail with the best bits in CAPITALS and then complained about endlessly by their readers, resulting in ITV canceling their entire schedule. :D
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    and he undoubtedly would have been referred to as "cocky jonathan ross" or "arrogant jonathan ross" by the mail as well.

so ultimately I think he really didn't have a choice.

if he had resigned along with russell, he could have probably laid low for a year to eighteen months and resumed his career, but i think it's going to be very difficult to re-introduce him after this because he will be under microscopic scrutiny from the mail for one, and probably a lot of other corners of the press as well and he will have to completely change the way he acts on camera and essentially lose the qualities that made him popular.

but that said, his future is really of no major concern to me as i am firmly a fan of ol' Russ. As I said on one of the other threads, Russell's decision to resign was honourable for one, but also very clever - by falling on his sword in the way he has, he's all but guaranteed that he can resume his radio career somewhere down the line.

as i'm sure has been discussed, what I find quite sad is that the wider implications of this affair will result in a heavily over-sanitized BBC, much like some of the US networks where people are afraid to speak out of turn for fear of upsetting the media.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,271
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    as i'm sure has been discussed, what I find quite sad is that the wider implications of this affair will result in a heavily over-sanitized BBC, much like some of the US networks where people are afraid to speak out of turn for fear of upsetting the media.
    it's all part of the 'unique way the BBC is funded'.

the reality is not so easy to cope with as everyone feels they are paying for it, so have a right to have an input.

The licence fee can be as much a burden as anything else.
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the licence fee has nothing to do with anything in this case.

i fully expect the bbc to operate under different guidelines because of this incident - probably both official and off the record.

the likes of never mind the buzzcocks and mock the week will be heavily monitored and probably just as heavily edited to avoid causing offence.

comedians appearing on the bbc will be given a talking to before their appearance and "made aware" of what is and isn't acceptable.

i would imagine the above-mentioned shows will also be quietly shunted to later timeslots as well.

although it's just occured to me as well - i don't remember seeing any outrage and hysteria over paul merton claiming prince philip was a murderer and making jokes about richard whiteley on have i got news for you ?

two "jokes" far more offensive that "that" phonecall i think ..
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 154
    Forum Member
    I think what happened was out of order, but the reaction has been so over the top.

I really feel punished by this.

We need to equal those middle England, Mail reading old farts.

Lets get thousands of complaints into the BBC over the loss of Ross over the next few weeks and the permanent loss of Brand from Radio 2.

Actually I think youllfind that thousands have complained about the BBC's action in the HYS forum, the same forum the BBC keeps quoting as '40,000 complaints' talk about inaccuracy, not something you would expect from the BBC would you?:rolleyes:
  • Blake ConnollyBlake Connolly Posts: 9,509
    Forum Member
    There's going to be a protest outside the Daily Mail offices tomorrow at noon.
  • You_moYou_mo Posts: 11,334
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The fact is, if they didn't make those stupid phone calls the show would still be running no matter what the scum of The Mail and it's angry mob says about Brand's humour. He gave them what they wanted... an opportunity.
  • lalalala Posts: 21,175
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wonder if all those complaining about this and mock the week would find this clip offensive:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x2OUJ8ZUTiI&feature=related

Watch what he says at the end of that about her kids. I found it quite funny myself... in a shocking way :o