Soap Ratings Thread (Part 5)

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,352
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    IMO I think soaps should change their episodes around each other. Anyone saying that EE got only those ratings because of the quality of the show are being ridiculous. Not many people would switch over from Emmerdale after watching it for 30 minutes. It would be the exact same if Emmerdale started at 8 and EE had an hour episode from half 7.
  • dan2008dan2008 Posts: 37,271
    Forum Member
    jojo2008 wrote: »
    EastEnders usually beats Emmerdale regardless of the head start. I think the reason EastEnders suffered badly last night is due to the quality of the show, which IMO, isn't great at present
    There's noting wrong with the quality of the show IMO
    they Have just added drama and Comedy in most episodes it's just laid down the gritty drama for a whille.
    Tuesday EastEnders beat Emmerdale by quite a bit in the clash and The BBC repeat showing had quite a high one.

I think the hour-Long Emmerdale took people by surpise
    Forum Member
    gmc93 wrote: »
    IMO I think soaps should change their episodes around each other. Anyone saying that EE got only those ratings because of the quality of the show are being ridiculous. Not many people would switch over from Emmerdale after watching it for 30 minutes. It would be the exact same if Emmerdale started at 8 and EE had an hour episode from half 7.
    Thats exactly it.
    Last nights Hour Emmerdale would have took people by surpise and there's the chance to catch up with EastEnders BBC3 at 10:00pm and Sunday Omnibus which both pull in quite a good rating.

There is a clash Next Thursday Emmerdale 7:00pm-8:00pm and EastEnders airs 7:30pm-8:30pm (they could have had ahalf hour wednesday imo)

and the following week Both soaps Clash Tuesday and Thursday where imo Emmerdale could air sundays at 7:00pm or something.
    There's allways away around it
    Forum Member
    I think going from 9.9million to 5.9million is saying something, 4 million people obviously didn't enjoy this week's episodes! lol
    Tuesdays episode was around 7million and that clashed with Emmerdale also (But Emmerdale didn't have head start)
    James J wrote: »
    Time for ITV to cut Emmerdale back to 5 a week, or put it back on Sunday.

Hour longs/doubles are stupid.
    I agree 6 episodes/sometimes 7 is stupid but then again without Corrie/Emmerdale and endless reality rubbish then ITV1 wouldn't cope.It just seems like they know of nothing else and afraid to actually try something new
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,980
    Forum Member
    I think its more to do with the fact the hour clashes get one up on EE.

At least this thread always reveals people's true agendas and feelings towards certain soaps.

What??:yawn:
    How? Emmerdale was down itself...

Was it? It was up on Wednesdays episode and virtually the same as last Thursdays episodes despite there being no clash. On the other hand EE was 3.5m down.

If Emmerdale will permanently clash with EE then I would say ditch the 6th episode, but for the most part the show airs at 8pm on Thursdays and is only moved when there's no other free slots.
    Forum Member
    Just a quick mention Last november there was a clash with Emmerdale coming out on top and EastEnders had just over 6 million so nothing todo with Quality of either show
  • Pop_ArtPop_Art Posts: 5,116
    Forum Member

Was it? It was up on Wednesdays episode and virtually the same as last Thursdays episodes despite there being no clash. On the other hand EE was 3.5m down.

If Emmerdale will permanently clash with EE then I would say ditch the 6th episode, but for the most part the show airs at 8pm on Thursdays and is only moved when there's no other free slots.

Come on. The only reason EE was down last night was because of the head start Emmerdale had over it. It wasn't down for any other reason. Trying to make out it was is pointless and a waste of time. Watch it be back up over 9 million on Monday.

The last time Emmerdale and EE clashed consistantly EastEnders pulled out in front of Emmerdale once the novelty had worn off. Which made ITV stop the clashes. So if a weekly clash ever came about again the same pattern would probably happen.

Good ratings for Corrie last night but it was a big episode with it being Jack's funeral. Shame they didn't go all out for him though with the actual episode.
    Forum Member

EastEnders only just got over 7million on Tuesday during the Clash actually so it's not down 3.5m on last epiosde
    Pop_Art wrote: »
    Come on. The only reason EE was down last night was because of the head start Emmerdale had over it. It wasn't down for any other reason. Trying to make out it was is pointless and a waste of time.

The last time Emmerdale and EE clashes consistantly EastEnders pulled out in front of Emmerdale once the novelty had worn off. Which made ITV stop the clashes. So if a weekly clash ever came about again the same pattern would probably happen.
    Tuesday EastEnders beat Emmerdale but nothing got said about that(despite a good lead in from that ITV news special) Come Monday EastEnders will be back over 9million
    Forum Member
    Come on. The only reason EE was down last night was because of the head start Emmerdale had over it. It wasn't down for any other reason. Trying to make out it was is pointless and a waste of time.

The only reason EE was down was because of the Emmerdale clash. I know that. Nowhere did I say otherwise. :confused:Without an Emmerdale clash it would have got 9m+.
    Forum Member
    The only reason EE was down was because of the Emmerdale clash. I know that. Nowhere did I say otherwise. :confused:Without an Emmerdale clash it would have got 9m+.

So why single out EE for being down by '3.5m' then? you didn't need to if you knew the reason for it being lower than normal.
    Forum Member
    dan2008 wrote: »
    EastEnders only just got over 7million on Tuesday during the Clash actually so it's not down 3.5m on last epiosde

Tuesday EastEnders beat Emmerdale but nothing got said about that(despite a good lead in from that ITV news special) Come Monday EastEnders will be back over 9million

3.5m down on last Thursdays episode!

People did talk about it. I'm pretty sure I said somewhere Emmerdale was down 2m from Mondays episode. Everyone knows EE is and always will be the more popular soap, so there's nothing to worry about.
    Forum Member
    So why single out EE for being down by '3.5m' then? you didn't need to if you knew the reason for it being lower than normal.

Because a poster was stating Emmerdale was down, when actually it wasn't. I was simply stating that EE was down 3.5m, comparing it to Emmerdale not being down at all-meaning EE comes off a lot worse during the clashes (last nights inparticular). There's no hidden agenda. I watch both shows and enjoyed last nights EE.
    Forum Member
    3.5m down on last Thursdays episode!

People did talk about it. I'm pretty sure I said somewhere Emmerdale was down 2m from Mondays episode. Everyone knows EE is and always will be the more popular soap, so there's nothing to worry about.
    Because a poster was stating Emmerdale was down, when actually it wasn't. I was simply stating that EE was down 3.5m, comparing it to Emmerdale not being down at all-meaning EE comes off a lot worse during the clashes (last nights inparticular). There's no hidden agenda. I watch both shows and enjoyed last nights EE.
    But it was down because of a clash with another top rating soap !! Last week it wasn't.

It's not like when Corrie often loses 3/4 million from the Monday episode's to the Thursday episode without competition.
    Forum Member
    But it was down because of a clash with another top rating soap !! Last week it wasn't.

It's not like when Corrie often loses 3/4 million from the Monday episode's to the Thursday episode without competition.

I know it was down because it clashed with another top rating soap!

I give up:rolleyes:
  • wallo mr slugwallo mr slug Posts: 9,734
    Forum Member

Sometimes it's the best way.

With some, their only response to anything against EE is to claim you're a troll or a Corrie fan.
    Reason and debate goes out the window.
    Forum Member

With some, their only response to anything against EE is to claim you're a troll or a Corrie fan.
    Tell me about it. Damn EastEnders fans for being right all the time:eek:;):D
    Forum Member
    dan2008 wrote: »
    Tell me about it. Damn EastEnders fans for being right all the time:eek:;):D

I think to be fair, it's a mixture of both.
    Zoe McAllister wasn't even criticising EE and someone goes down her throat. It's not on.
  • rztrzt Posts: 21,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not surprising that EE was down to 6m because Emmerdale had a 30-minute headstart and was part of an "event TV" style schedule on ITV1 so people would've been more likely to stick with ITV1.

EastEnders' BBC3 repeat yesterday had 1.54m, which is brilliant. One of its top 5 BBC3 ratings that I can ever remember.
    Forum Member
    Zoe McAllister wasn't even criticising EE and someone goes down her throat. It's not on.
    I will agree but more more on the ITV soap fans side;)

Na i agree:)
    Forum Member
    rzt wrote: »
    Not surprising that EE was down to 6m because Emmerdale had a 30-minute headstart and was part of an "event TV" style schedule on ITV1 so people would've been more likely to stick with ITV1.

EastEnders' BBC3 repeat yesterday had 1.54m, which is brilliant. One of its top 5 BBC3 ratings that I can ever remember.
    Thats Exactly why the BBC never Moves EastEnders to avoid clashes as it simply helps out the BBC3 rating anyway.
    I think that rating has topped the EastEnders:LIVE repeat but their highest ever was 1.8million back in May when Enders and BGT clashed
    Forum Member

Erm hope this isn't directed at me as I have never called anyone who says a negative comment about EE a troll or a Corrie fan.

Well if you knew this was the reason I'm confused with why you used EE being down compared to Emmerdale being even or up on its own rating. Not most of all because Emmerdale had the advantage of having the half hour it didn't clash with EE as a boost on its average. If I've misunderstood then fine but its a weird logic comparing the way you did given you compared a EE clash rating with non clash ratings.

I never went down her throat at all. :rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    Erm hope this isn't directed at me as I have never called anyone who says a negative comment about EE a troll or a Corrie fan.

I never went down her throat at all. :rolleyes:

No the top bit wasn't directed at you.
    As for the rest, we'll just have to disagree.
  • MandyBudMandyBud Posts: 170
    Forum Member
    It's funny how some only comment on the bad yet are never around when there's any praise to be given. I wonder if these same people will mention how EE is up 3.xm on last night's ratings when Monday's overnights come through on Tuesday morning. Probably not. Yet they were quick to point out it was 3.5m down last night!

People have a right to respond to baiting comments like the ridiculous one from jojo about EE being down because of the quality. Why would it suddenly lose 2-3m of its audience in one night and for one night only? Soap viewing doesn't work like that. I can guarantee come Monday the ratings will be back up to 9m.

Corrie was poor for 2-3 years until recently, if we go by Jojo's theory by the time 2010 came around nobody would have been watching!

Emmerdale benefits massively when it has the headstart. On Tuesday both soaps started at the same time and EE won the clash. As for the comment on EE being 3.5m down, while that may be true it's out of context unless the reason why is mentioned. EE having almost 6m against Emmerdale which had a headstart advantage is good as far as I'm concerned and comments in this thread trying to suggest otherwise are clearly aimed at baiting the fans.

I do take on board the point that EE was winning the clashes before ITV stopped them but that was viewers voting with their remotes and getting fed up of the weekly clashes caused by ITV overkill. It was a gradual thing. Now that the clashes aren't regular any more, it's unfair to compare.
  • MandyBudMandyBud Posts: 170
    Forum Member
    rzt wrote: »

Excellent for EE on BBC3. :)
  • boogie woogieboogie woogie Posts: 16,299
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Very impressed with Corrie's Thursday night rating!:D However, it was bound to be dented by CIN last night, any figures in yet?
This discussion has been closed.