The BBC has announced that it axing children's programming from BBC One and BBC Two

Comments

• GPWGPW Posts: 3,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is just absolutely disgraceful. The BBC needs to grow and change of course, but this is a move very much in the wrong direction.

I wish the BBC were accountable to someone, but sadly that's not the case.

Why? they will still be available on their own channels.
  • PorkchopExpressPorkchopExpress Posts: 5,534
    Forum Member
    GPW wrote: »
    Why? they will still be available on their own channels.
    It means a yet lower profile for childrens TV. Quality will suffer and BBC1 will fill the gaps with utter shite.
  • CaxtonCaxton Posts: 28,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is just absolutely disgraceful. The BBC needs to grow and change of course, but this is a move very much in the wrong direction.

I wish the BBC were accountable to someone, but sadly that's not the case.

Please explain why this is a step in the wrong direction, how can it be, the BBC are at least moving with the times now that TV has gone digital where everyone come the end of October has the ability to receive ALL of the BBC range of channels. To put childrens' programmes on their own dedicated channel appears to be a perfectly logical and sensible idea.

The digital age is here, live with it
  • PorkchopExpressPorkchopExpress Posts: 5,534
    Forum Member
    Caxton wrote: »
    Please explain why this is a step in the wrong direction, how can it be, the BBC are at least moving with the times now that TV has gone digital where everyone come the end of October has the ability to receive ALL of the BBC range of channels. To put childrens' programmes on their own dedicated channel appears to be a perfectly logical and sensible idea.

If you want answers from me, improve your tone.
  • douknowotimean?douknowotimean? Posts: 1,799
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Makes perfect sense now that nearly everyone can receive all BBC Digital Channels.

What is interesting is what will they show in place of Kids TV? Could they put out more news bulletins despite there being a dedicated news channel? First at 4.30 perhaps?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Nothing wrong with his tone!
  • mikwmikw Posts: 48,715
    Forum Member
    Caxton wrote: »

Of course, you're right. The kids come home and sit in front of THEIR TV channel anyway.
  • exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member

Why does CBBC, the Twaggers' Channel, exist at all?

You do realise that kids are also part of society and not just you, also I pity any kids you might have, or are planning to have, with such a selfish parent.

IMO the decision to move is a good one and was also inevitable come DSO.
    Forum Member
    It means a yet lower profile for childrens TV. Quality will suffer and BBC1 will fill the gaps with utter shite.

Nonsense, kids having their own channel is a higher profile.
    Forum Member

Narked because someone had the audacity to disagree with you?
  • Neda_TurkNeda_Turk Posts: 8,447
    Forum Member
    Is there a need for CBeebies & CBBC to be in HD?

Yes as HD it always better. So much so that they already make some Children's programmes in HD. But will now not have an HD channel to show them on.

Programmes like Blue Peter being a flagship programme are much in need of HD.

You could say in this day an age of HD programming why should children put up with sub standard quality?

Also there are a lot of HD programmes on adult BBC that could be argue if they really need to be in HD, but they are!

HD is the way TV is slowly going and this move blocks off all progress in that area as there are no options now to show any HD children's programmes at all ever. (Until years to come when they all go HD)
  • omeletpercyomeletpercy Posts: 341
    Forum Member
    HANG ON GUYS !

There are two whole bloody BBC kids channels now- available to everyone. Therefore they are right to put everything there instead.
  • emily222emily222 Posts: 2,009
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    thats a shame OP childrens programmes are about the only fun thing to watch left on the beeb with a small amount of exceptions
    getting up at 6am and watching them instead of the booooring bbc or sky news is great!
    LOL
  • TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If the BBC were being run by a private firm I can't see that it would look much different. Dumping the PSB away from the main channel, cutting funding for such PSB a few years down the road. Making programmes with both eyes on the US market. Attempts at sponsorship deals on BBC programmes. Plans to sell programming online etc etc.

What is confusing some people who blindly support everything the BBC executive do, is this belief that as long as BBC executives are behind this stuff then it must defacto be PSB.

It really isn't that way any more.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Neda_Turk wrote: »
    Yes as HD it always better. So much so that they already make some Children's programmes in HD. But will now not have an HD channel to show them on.

Programmes like Blue Peter being a flagship programme are much in need of HD.

You could say in this day an age of HD programming why should children put up with sub standard quality?

Also there are a lot of HD programmes on adult BBC that could be argue if they really need to be in HD, but they are!

HD is the way TV is slowly going and this move blocks off all progress in that area as there are no options now to show any HD children's programmes at all ever. (Until years to come when they all go HD)

Somehow I don't think a 6 year old child is going to appreciate the difference between sd & hd transmission.
  • jzeejzee Posts: 25,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Somehow I don't think a 6 year old child is going to appreciate the difference between sd & hd transmission.
    Things like Deadly 60 benefit greatly from being in HD being natural history.
  • gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,623
    Forum Member
    Their eyesight will appreciate the difference a great deal more than that of your average 60 year old.
  • swillsswills Posts: 4,004
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But, having a strand on BBC1 can be useful, Parents can tell the kids once the Children's part of of the BBC has ended, they can then do the chores, homework, whatever, with CBBC and CBeebies, it just goes on for ever, and it is difficult to extract a child away from the 'box' !
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gomezz wrote: »
    Their eyesight will appreciate the difference a great deal more than that of your average 60 year old.

That's why I wear the glasses to appreciate the hd ;)
  • FuddFudd Posts: 167,000
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My question is - what will they replace it with? More repeats from the 1970s, antique programming, quiz shows and people escaping to the country to avoid daytime television? Or something more meaningful?

This is part of 'Delivering Quality First'; what will the quality be?
  • STEVE 03STEVE 03 Posts: 7,856
    Forum Member
    Yes it will be most interesting to see what the BBC shows in place of CBBC on both BBC1 and BBC2. My gut feeling is the BBC are likely to show more 'Cash in the Attic' and 'Escape to the Country' type programmes on BBC1 during the week day afternoons, although I hope the schedules are more appealing than that.

What will be shown on BBC2 interests me more though. Monday through to Saturday CBBC dominates pretty much the whole of the morning schedules, so there will be quite a big gap to fill once CBBC moves from the schedule. During the week will we get a 'Daytime on Two' type schedule (like during the 1980's) with school programming and documentaries or will they fill the schedule with a 'Best of BBC4' type format?

I for one hope for Saturday mornings at least they bring back the early morning films on BBC2. I used to love waking up to the old films on BBC2 in the 1990's. No other channel shows old films in the early morning slot, so it would be ideal I think :)

Anyway below is what I think the BBC1 and BBC2 schedules should look like after DSO:

Weekdays:
    BBC1:
    1.45pm Doctors.
    2.15 Weakest Link
    3.00 Escape to the Country
    4.00 Comedy or Drama Repeat
    5.00 Pointless

BBC2:
    6.00am Days That Shook the World
    7.00 Horizon. Rpt.
    8.00 Timewatch. Rpt.
    9.00 Best of BBC4: Various programming from BBC4
    11.00 A Film (Daily Politics on Wednesday's)
    12.30pm BBC World News
    1.00 Daily Politics
    1.30 Comedy Repeat
    2.00 A Film
    4.00 Documentary
    5.00 TOTP2

Weekends:
    Saturday's:
    BBC2:
    6.00am Days That Shook the World
    7.00 Film
    9.00 Film
    11.00 Eastenders Omnibus. Rpt.
    12.55pm Normal Daytime programmes.

Sunday's:
    BBC2
    6.00am Days That Shook the World.
    7.00 Film
    9.00 Film
    11.00 Saturday Kitchen - Repeated from BBC1 on Saturday.
    12.30pm Regular schedule.

It will be interesting to see what happens :)
  • TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    While an extra channel for kids might have been OK, I think it's important that they feel connected with the mainstream.

Too often I'm getting the sense that the BBC just wants rid of minority programming on BBC1.

Get lost to BBC3/BBC4 and CBBC. Sport on Red Button.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6
    Forum Member
    The problem with children and young peoples programming in Britain is that most of it is patronizing. That's why I say good ridance to Blue Peter (even though it's technically not axed).

Children and young peoples programming needs to be where children and young people are at rather than talking down to them and treating them like they're stupid. Also stop being so obsessed with education!! The last thing you want to have to put up with as a kid when you get home is more education! Kids need entertainment too! Horrible Histories is so successful in my view because it's funny to adults too. They write for a family audience and the show talks to this generation of young people.

Also there's nothing wrong with some US imports. The US at times makes the finest quality programming ever. Cartoon Network had the finest childrens programming ever in it's golden years, but i'm biased because I was young then :p I loved them again because they seemed raw, uncut, not talking down to me and more importantly funny and/or entertaining! Most of my favourite programmes as a kid still have a huge adult following and are still loved by many young people.

Childrens and young peoples TV these days sucks so much. It makes me sad :(
  • fugitivefugitive Posts: 4,174
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i think on all digital platforms the kids channels should move higher up the EPG to make them more visible.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6
    Forum Member
    fugitive wrote: »
    i think on all digital platforms the kids channels should move higher up the EPG to make them more visible.

It reflects society. Young people and children are the last. I mean on Sky from what I can remember the Childrens channels don't start until 600 :eek: