Options

Currys Retail Store and Sky+HD

FIFA1966FIFA1966 Posts: 1,101
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Does anyone know whether or not if it's possible to buy a Sky+HD box from Currys?

Comments

• Options
    BangersBangers Posts: 3,649
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You mean walk out the store with a Sky box there and then as opposed to just taking out a new subscription? If so, no you can't. Freesat boxes you can however.
  • Options
    Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,524
    Forum Member
    FIFA1966 wrote: »
    Does anyone know whether or not if it's possible to buy a Sky+HD box from Currys?

No it's not - Currys aren't even an ASA, the only Sky connections they had were taking customer orders and passing them on to Sky for Sky to supply the equipment and do the install.

If you could find a local ASA (and there aren't many left) you could walk in there, hand over cash, and walk out with a box - but it's NOT cheap.

You'd be better off walking into Cash Converters and handing over £25-30 for a nearly new box, where's even some of the latest WiFi boxes available in that way - although it's more likely you'll find a slightly older one, but at least those have RF out built-in.
  • Options
    simon194simon194 Posts: 1,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't remember when the chain store stopped selling them in-store but it was after 2002 because I remember buying my first Sky+ box (a good ol' PVR1) from Comet when they were first launched. If I recall it was £399 if you agreed to connect the box to the phone line for 12 months or £499 if you didn't.

It makes me laugh when people complain about having to pay £149 for a 2TB box these days. :):)
  • Options
    KodiakKodiak Posts: 267
    Forum Member
    simon194 wrote: »
    It makes me laugh when people complain about having to pay £149 for a 2TB box these days. :)

I know exactly what you mean as I remember buying my First SKY Box back in 1991. I bought a ITT Nokia System and that cost then £599.99 + Installation Fee of £60.00.

How times change. Mind you I also remember back in 1971 when I worked for Curry's and we were selling a 20" Grundig Colour Television, Push Button and NO Remote and you could only get 3 or 4 Stations depending on where you lived. Price £629. Also the Size of it and not to mention the weight.

So it is true, some things do change for the better.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Kodiak wrote: »
    Mind you I also remember back in 1971 when I worked for Curry's and we were selling a 20" Grundig Colour Television, Push Button and NO Remote and you could only get 3 or 4 Stations depending on where you lived.

There's a number of mistakes in that sentence :D

There weren't any 20 inch TV's in 1971 (they were 19 inch), nor were there 4 channels - the choice was only 2 or 3 (the 3rd been BBC2), CH4 didn't appear until 1982.

I'm also dubious about Grundig sets back that early?, I don't recall ever seeing Grundig sets in the UK until considerably later.

But TV's WERE expensive back then :D
  • Options
    popeye13popeye13 Posts: 8,573
    Forum Member
    Tesco used to have huge area's in their superstores with Sky and a demo box.
    Bit odd that Sky took them out
  • Options
    Dave-HDave-H Posts: 9,940
    Forum Member
    There's a number of mistakes in that sentence :D
    There weren't any 20 inch TV's in 1971 (they were 19 inch), nor were there 4 channels - the choice was only 2 or 3 (the 3rd been BBC2), CH4 didn't appear until 1982.
    I'm also dubious about Grundig sets back that early?, I don't recall ever seeing Grundig sets in the UK until considerably later.
    But TV's WERE expensive back then :D
    I would agree about Grundig.
    I bought a (very expensive) Grundig TV in the late 70s, but I don't think they were around as a TV brand in the early 70s.
    Tape recorders and radios yes, but not TVs.
    :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    popeye13 wrote: »
    Tesco used to have huge area's in their superstores with Sky and a demo box.
    Bit odd that Sky took them out

Sky had a VERY short term (and disastrous) episode with Tesco, it lost Sky a great deal of money and cost them a good few subscribers.

Basically because Tesco completely ignored their contract with Sky and simply sold the boxes off to the public like cans of beans - with most of them been bought by Spanish residents at the cut price.

I'd like to think that the idiot at Sky who arranged it was taken out and shot, or at the least sacked :p
  • Options
    popeye13popeye13 Posts: 8,573
    Forum Member
    Sky had a VERY short term (and disastrous) episode with Tesco, it lost Sky a great deal of money and cost them a good few subscribers.

Basically because Tesco completely ignored their contract with Sky and simply sold the boxes off to the public like cans of beans - with most of them been bought by Spanish residents at the cut price.

I'd like to think that the idiot at Sky who arranged it was taken out and shot, or at the least sacked :p

Oh right, i didn't realise it that bad...
  • Options
    DWA9ISDWA9IS Posts: 10,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Is this why you dont see Sky boxes just being sold of the shelf in shops now then?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    lotrjw wrote: »
    Is this why you dont see Sky boxes just being sold of the shelf in shops now then?

Partially I suppose, but mostly because there are hardly any ASA's left, and only ASA's can get Sky boxes.
  • Options
    chenkschenks Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Partially I suppose, but mostly because there are hardly any ASA's left, and only ASA's can get Sky boxes.

i take it satbuyer.co.uk must be an ASA then? as they never have any problem supplying boxes to the public.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    chenks wrote: »
    i take it satbuyer.co.uk must be an ASA then? as they never have any problem supplying boxes to the public.

Possibly, but it's also possible they buy FROM an ASA.
  • Options
    chenkschenks Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Possibly, but it's also possible they buy FROM an ASA.

but if only ASA's can "get boxes" then either satbuyer are an ASA or it's not true that only "ASA's can get boxes", otherwise they wouldn't be able to "get them".

you go on a lot about ASA's (and the lack of them). sounds like you may have a gripe there.... did you lose your ASA status at some point and are bitter about it?

the bottom line is that it's extremely easy to purchase a brand new sky box from many places. so the "only from an ASA" line you constantly push it is far from the reality.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    chenks wrote: »
    but if only ASA's can "get boxes" then either satbuyer are an ASA or it's not true that only "ASA's can get boxes", otherwise they wouldn't be able to "get them".

you go on a lot about ASA's (and the lack of them). sounds like you may have a gripe there.... did you lose your ASA status at some point and are bitter about it?

No, we're still a top award winning ASA (one of the few).

the bottom line is that it's extremely easy to purchase a brand new sky box from many places. so the "only from an ASA" line you constantly push it is far from the reality.

Not at all, Sky boxes are ONLY available direct from Sky, and ONLY available to ASA's.