Options

Graham Norton - Embarrassing.

Comments

• Options
    Chris1964Chris1964 Posts: 19,802
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It doesn't matter at all, but clearly he was very keen for Conchita to win. No doubt there. Very apparent towards the end when he forecasting the possible numbers from the last few countries might not be great.
  • Options
    DC1983DC1983 Posts: 601
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought Graham did a fabulous job last night. He was hilarious, although I did struggle to hear him throughout the evening. I think if someone else did it, the show would be boring.
  • Options
    Sammy2Sammy2 Posts: 2,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I do not enjoy his commentary at all
    How many wrong mini predictions did he make during the voting?

I could do without the 'would you believe it, I quite like the next song' but maybe that's just to suit the audience
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    brb wrote: »
    *bearded lady in a dress

here we go again....

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
  • Options
    posiepebblesposiepebbles Posts: 1,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OK, so be constructive. Who would you prefer? Vernon Kay? Tess Daly?
  • Options
    brbbrb Posts: 27,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bornslippy wrote: »
    here we go again....

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

I agree. It's a discussion we shouldn't even need to be having ;-)
  • Options
    Peter the GreatPeter the Great Posts: 14,229
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BBAnne wrote: »
    This

What used to grate more is that Wigon would bleat on about how disgusting it was that neighbours voted for neighbours, yet berated Ireland if they didn't give the UK big enough (in his opinion) points. Nasty bitter old man

Norton is stratospherically better
    Sorry I much preferred Wogan. Wogan's knowledge of Eurovision was second to none where as Norton's knowledge is poor. And seriously how he described The Netherlands entry. Country and Western? The Western was taken out of Country decades ago.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wogan was a bitter old man. His commentary of the 2007 contest was vile. He, at one point commented on Marija's weight, and said something along the lines of he didn't understand why people were voting for her because she wasn't a looker.

He was a moron, and I am thankful he's gone.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 157
    Forum Member
    Graham is perfect for the job - a natural successor to Terry Wogan. Just the right amount of irreverence for the whole shebang that is Eurovision :o - I thought he was quite restrained :D
  • Options
    piimapoikapiimapoika Posts: 285
    Forum Member
    I don't see why we have a commentator at all. All Eurovisions are conducted entirely in English as it is.
  • Options
    darren1090darren1090 Posts: 211
    Forum Member
    Sorry I much preferred Wogan. Wogan's knowledge of Eurovision was second to none where as Norton's knowledge is poor. And seriously how he described The Netherlands entry. Country and Western? The Western was taken out of Country decades ago.

Wogan's knowledge of Eurovision was none, basically. He regularly made basic errors, like mixing up the Balkans and the Baltics; accusing Georgia of neighbourly voting for Bulgaria (who are several hundred miles apart), etc. During the 1990s he announced (IIRC) Russia's 1995 entry as their debut when they had entered the previous year.

It was quite clear that any non-basic information he did give out correctly must have been provided in advance by researchers, because of the basic errors he made elsewhere. This didn't matter so much until his last few years when he became cynical and unpleasant.

Graham Norton does seem to treat the contest with far more respect, much more than I would expect anyone else to do so, so I hope he continues for many years. Would you expect someone who hates football and doesn't know who won the Premiership last year to present Match of the Day?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14
    Forum Member
    piimapoika wrote: »
    I don't see why we have a commentator at all. All Eurovisions are conducted entirely in English as it is.

Totally agree. It doesn't even work listening to the Radio 2 commentary because the TV picture is out of sync.

Graham Norton IS embarrassing, as others have said, plus his remarks are bitchy, sarcastic, boring, unfunny and some of the time, factually incorrect. I'm actually ashamed to share a sexuality with him.
    And having said all that doesn't mean I want Wogan, with his constant moaning at neighbouring countries' voting patterns, back.

What I really hope for next year is just a red button function that enables the viewer to choose no BBC commentary. It's been done on sports programmes before.
  • Options
    notinnotin Posts: 1,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought Graham N was very bland, there was no moment when I chuckled with larfter...he was minding his ps and q's ....he was treading safe water....unlike Terry who would have said it as it is. As a gay man he probs felt that he should not give an opinion .....controversy ...... And viewers reactions... Love graham , but felt that he is in a tricky position on this one and played it very safe
  • Options
    SpotSpot Posts: 25,126
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ken Bruce's radio commentary was available via the red button and despite him obviously having to describe things for an audience not watching the TV pictures, I just find his style and professionalism so much more appealing. I suggest others try it next year if they are looking for an alternative.
  • Options
    Sherlock_HolmesSherlock_Holmes Posts: 6,882
    Forum Member
    Yeah, his personal bias was odd (a commentator should surely be unbiased). Mind you, in my country we had the same problem (one of the co-commentators is gay). The best commentary was on the Belgian tv (a woman & man commentary).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought that Graham only started to support Conchita once it was clear she was the winner.

His comment did annoy me about Moj Svijet. Scott Mills was a disgrace though. Biased from the beginning, and even said about Georgia that he wasn't sure why anyone would want to vote for them...
  • Options
    BurstfireBurstfire Posts: 980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    notin wrote: »
    I thought Graham N was very bland, there was no moment when I chuckled with larfter...he was minding his ps and q's ....he was treading safe water....

He's doing commentary for the eurovision, not a stand up comedy show.
    Yes he makes some sarcastic remarks but if you're watching it expecting to chuckle with laughter then maybe you should be watching something else.
  • Options
    Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,875
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I enjoyed his ramblings. He doesn't take it too seriously, and neither do I.
  • Options
    skf1skf1 Posts: 7,857
    Forum Member

I really didn't want to get into this topic - but I am going to. When was Western taken outta country? Explain that please? Do you know how the Billboard chart works? I didn't think so! I live in Northern Virginia and around me in my neighboring states - We still have Country and Western nights/songs - Have you heard of bluegrass?. Country is what we call 'Cosmopoltain country' these days. CHECK YOUR FACTS!

Country and Western still exists!! Depending on how you would describe the genre/music.

Steph x
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    skf1 wrote: »
    I really didn't want to get into this topic - but I am going to. When was Western taken outta country? Explain that please? Do you know how the Billboard chart works? I didn't think so! I live in Northern Virginia and around me in my neighboring states - We still have Country and Western nights/songs - Have you heard of bluegrass?. Country is what we call 'Cosmopoltain country' these days. CHECK YOUR FACTS!

Country and Western still exists!! Depending on how you would describe the genre/music.

Steph x
    I KNOW MY FACTS! No one who knows anything about the genre sais 'Country and Western'. Of course I know what bluegrass is. What has that got to do with anything? Are you suggesting that The Common Linnets are bluegrass? Because if you are you are the one that doesn't know what bluegrass is and bluegrass is not described as Country and Western
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    darren1090 wrote: »
    Wogan's knowledge of Eurovision was none, basically. He regularly made basic errors, like mixing up the Balkans and the Baltics; accusing Georgia of neighbourly voting for Bulgaria (who are several hundred miles apart), etc. During the 1990s he announced (IIRC) Russia's 1995 entry as their debut when they had entered the previous year.

It was quite clear that any non-basic information he did give out correctly must have been provided in advance by researchers, because of the basic errors he made elsewhere. This didn't matter so much until his last few years when he became cynical and unpleasant.

Graham Norton does seem to treat the contest with far more respect, much more than I would expect anyone else to do so, so I hope he continues for many years. Would you expect someone who hates football and doesn't know who won the Premiership last year to present Match of the Day?
    I would say you're knowledge of Eurovision is none if you think that of Wogan. Put it this way set up a competition between the 2 and Wogan would win by a mile.
  • Options
    sheff71sheff71 Posts: 8,286
    Forum Member
    Graham Norton is usually funny - seems to treat it like we're all in on the joke with him, so he can make his usual snide or bitchy comments but it's all okay as it's only Eurovision, and no-one really takes it too seriously...

The sound wasn't too great from him the other day though - and of course, he was only too happy to be positive about Austria, and make a number of digs at East European states implying they wouldn't support such an act.

I wonder if Clarkson had made exactly the same comments, he would get away with it so easily! Can you imagine the minefield he would be walking through, so tempted to throw in a cheap jibe as Norton did (and Wogan did before him).
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    Same here, the sound was terribly off, but he was, as usual in fine form. ;-), he even had his own moment of glory when they focused on him in his little commentary room....now that was startling in it's appreciation! Didn't see any other country get that treatment...I will stand corrected if I 'm wrong.:)

I loved it when he said 'It's so fun' in that deadpan tone. :D:D
  • Options
    vauxhall1964vauxhall1964 Posts: 10,359
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would say you're knowledge of Eurovision is none if you think that of Wogan. Put it this way set up a competition between the 2 and Wogan would win by a mile.

you're wrong and the other poster is right. Wogan was clueless (he even admitted in all his decades he'd never backed a winner..quite an achievemnet for someone supposedly knowledgeable about the show). He did confuse the Baltics with the Balkans, he did accuse countries of being neighbours when they were nowhere near each other, he even famously asked one time where a countries 9 points had gone to... I appreciated his commentary for the humour (until it became rancid with bile towards the end) but Wogan knowledgable about ESC? Absolutely not. That said I do not like Norton as our commentator at all.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    you're wrong and the other poster is right. Wogan was clueless (he even admitted in all his decades he'd never backed a winner..quite an achievemnet for someone supposedly knowledgeable about the show). He did confuse the Baltics with the Balkans, he did accuse countries of being neighbours when they were nowhere near each other, he even famously asked one time where a countries 9 points had gone to... I appreciated his commentary for the humour (until it became rancid with bile towards the end) but Wogan knowledgable about ESC? Absolutely not. That said I do not like Norton as our commentator at all.
    You must be talking about a different Wogan because his knowledge was bordering on being a complete anorak. He was often quizzed about it and I think Graham would admit himself that he cannot beat Wogan for knowledge. With regards to bile the problem was up until 2008 Eurovision had become a farce. Terry could always guess where 12 points would be given before they even announced it! Eurovision needed to change and it has and for the better especially this year which was completely unpredictable on who was going to win and where points would be coming from. I don't have anything against Graham Norton and I can't think of anyone better that could replace him but he is and never will be the master that is Wogan.