Pack Mentality

124»

Comments

• MargMckMargMck Posts: 24,115
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    flowers786 wrote: »
    but i love the fact gary can stick up for himself and doesn't take it personally even though dee seems to think so.

and why has this been pinned?

Some angels came down, entered the hearts of the Mods who have lived many past lives and YEAH! it was done.
    Oh I dunno, perhaps by mistake.
  • The FBIThe FBI Posts: 2,205
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So the mods are biased and trying to influence opinion by pinning this?
  • patsylimerickpatsylimerick Posts: 22,124
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hisdogspot wrote: »
    Interesting that you mention 'Pack mentality' because there really are comparisons to be drawn from a wolf pack and this group of housemates

James and Dee are the Alpha male and female ( Audley is content to be Beta male but reserves the right to challenge the Alpha )

The rest are followers in the pack who take their lead from the Alphas

Then there is the Omega wolf ... the one selected for bullying and aggression who is never fully accepted as part of the pack

In classic wolf pack behaviour this Omega wolf would have been George given that the Omega is traditionally submissive and instigates play in order to gain affection and acceptance

They have made the mistake of selecting Gary as the Omega, when he is actually that rarity ... the Lone Wolf

What a great analogy! :) I disagree in one aspect, though; I think Audley really is the Alpha male. The rest tease James but have stopped doing to so Audley because he bites back. Or else we have two Alpha males. Or...... hang on a sec..... can James by the female Alpha's 'bitch'? And Audley the REAL Alpha male? :D
    It seems to me it angers them more that they can't get a rise out of him. He deflects their negativity and animosity perfectly with humour or a quick quip and calmness. They want him to admit that he is all these things they constantly accuse him of being but he can't cos he isn't. Drives them mad :D

BIB : That is the million dollar question ;-)

I think you're spot on. I like Gary because he is NOT a victim. He doesn't allow himself to be and, yes, he winds them up. It's so easy - how could you resist?
    MargMck wrote: »
    Some angels came down, entered the hearts of the Mods who have lived many past lives and YEAH! it was done.
    Oh I dunno, perhaps by mistake.

HONK! ;-)
  • Rufus KnightsRufus Knights Posts: 3,142
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For the first time since being a fan of the show I had to actually switch off last night. It's beyond belief the treatment a 70 year old disabled man is receiving in that house.
  • rowens08rowens08 Posts: 739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Played last nights highlights show to my other half (not a BB fan) there as I was so disgusted with the treatment of Gary, to see what he thought having not seen any of the previous treatment and he could not get over why they were picking on him so much and annoyed him too, both our theories are that they (James, Dee, George, Rikki & newbie sheep Edele) just can't handle or accept that a successful American could possibly win the show over them. They know he is popular outside and are really scrapping at the bottom of barrel to make him look bad....all they can throw out is he is "rude" and I would say a possible reason he got his warning was because one of the Housemates went crying to BB>:(
  • ToricoTorico Posts: 1,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BB is part of the pack since they believe that no-one has ever gotten nude or shown their bits in the house aside from Gary.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 204
    Forum Member
    The FBI wrote: »
    So the mods are biased and trying to influence opinion by pinning this?

Would not surprise me. Seems like some kind of DS illuminati going on here

Get everybody to jump on the Gary bandwagon then have more gullible folk actually believe the crap about Gary being "bullied"

All I'm gonna say is, notice how almost every HM at one point has had an issue with Gary, if said person was a perfectly nice and normal HM to live with, then why would so many of them show genuine aggression towards him? It's not like say they dislike him so they stay away, he's clashed with maybe 80% of the house each on separate occasions, for some, more than once
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 301
    Forum Member
    It must be hard living with Gary in such a small space 24/7, but the way they are treating him is horrible.
    For someone who is 70 years old, has hearing problems, leg problems, brain damage etc etc, i think he is doing pretty good.
  • SegaGamerSegaGamer Posts: 29,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm confused, why is this thread pinned ?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,158
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SegaGamer wrote: »

Probably went for a poll to pin it and missed and got this thread instead, I doubt there's any ulterior motive, just a mistake is all.
  • Deb ArkleDeb Arkle Posts: 12,584
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think one of the mods must have been on the beer at lunchtime ;-)
  • Ms Ann ThropeMs Ann Thrope Posts: 7,213
    Forum Member
    This is what happens when one of the group tries to assert their authority by 'telling it like it is', being themselves, being honest, all that crap that they use to deflect from the reality which is that they are trying to manipulate and influence.

When it's brutal, as with James and Helen before him, the others will fall into line behind them for fear of being on the receiving end, and some of them get a tongue lashing as a warning to the others (Lauren, Jale).

The brutality then becomes normalised, and the others will do it in order to survive. Lord of the Flies in action.

They may well be exasperated by Gary, but they are not stopping for a moment to think about how they are coming across. They are feeling justified because James is so unforgiving.
  • Cats_EyesCats_Eyes Posts: 20,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can you give me an example of when Audley "tried to care for him" . I think Audley mostly ignores him. James has tried to care for him in his ham fisted way - he encouraged him to shower, wiped the coffee up after him on the stair, got a cloth to dry him when Edele spilt his coffee. David tried to help him with his knee and go \t short shift for it from both Gary and his fans alike.

I think I may be watching a different show though :D

And on every single occasion made a big deal of it and ensuring all the other housemates were looking - and then,after Gary was out of earshot ,followed it up by a few snidy remarks about it all so - yes - you and I might have been watching a different show.
  • xorosetylerxoxorosetylerxo Posts: 6,674
    Forum Member
    I think some housemates are in the pack because they don't want the treatment Gary is getting.
  • Cats_EyesCats_Eyes Posts: 20,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've felt like this pretty much from the off as soon as they started on Gary ... it has just got even more unbearable to watch as each night has rolled on. If these housemates are representative of the majority of British folk then I dearly wish I wasn't one :(
    Whether you like someone or not they way he has been treated really is appalling. They mither on about all his faults and preach how he should change as though they are perfect flawless beings! Where do they get off? >:(
    He is who he is. How about accepting him as that as he has them?
    As for him being so rude ... none have shown such rude behaviour as them towards him - more often than not unprovoked!
    Shitbags, the lot of them!

>:(>:(>:(

Thanks for that reply.

I stopped watching eight or nine days ago for that very reason and kept up only with the forums - until last night when I watched again.

What a night to pick ! - it was incredible and shocking to see and I fail to understand that BB did not step in - other than the weak callling for Deee to go to the diary room to calm down !

She should have been kicked out.
  • SnowStorm86SnowStorm86 Posts: 17,273
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SegaGamer wrote: »

Not sure but it had been pinned now for 6 hours and counting so one would assume it would already be unpinned if done by mistake.
  • neversaydieneversaydie Posts: 1,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What has been so offensive to you Jay that you felt the need to respond how you have:confused:

I said that blaming a victim (as I see it) is classic deflection for the bully. If you took that to mean I was accusing you of being a bully, I most certainly was not. Wouldn't dream of it. Just in case you didn't comprehend or I wasn't clear, it was the housemates I was referring to.

Moroever, I am fully congnizant with the Terms and Coditions of the Digital Spy forum:)
    bravo,good reply,applause.
  • Stone_AngelStone_Angel Posts: 328
    Forum Member
    I don't really buy the 'bully' thing, though I think the housemates who have reared up most violently at Gary could have exercised more temperance - but not because he is an 'old, disabled' man. These impairments do not confer instant sainthood or indeed victimhood - I've posted on dedicated disability forums for seven years and I can tell you that nastiness, rudeness, stubbornness, etc can come as readily from a disabled person as an able one! And yes, a couple of the most unpleasant characters I can remember happened to be 'elderly' as well....

Gary should 'stand or fall' on his behaviour and nothing else, just like the rest of them. And by the way, I have loved watching him and think he's been a very entertaining housemate - doesn't mean I have to excuse him at every turn, though!
  • DangermooseDangermoose Posts: 67,878
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think some housemates are in the pack because they don't want the treatment Gary is getting.

Indeed. Look how quickly Lauren was rounded up on the other night - yes she was drunk and talking stupidly but they were like vultures some of them!
  • Kay2000Kay2000 Posts: 3,906
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh dear...bully...bully...bully....it's like a playground in here.

Gary has been unpleasant and anti-social from the start.

They have tried to care for him and reason with him. One by one they snapped and now they're all against him. That does not make them bullies.

A bully is when an entirely innocent person is picked on. Gary has been rude and winding them up from the start. And they have all lost their tolerance and are venting - not the same as bullying.

You want pack mentality? Look at the forum right here!

Hold on, Gary has been winding them up. James is the wind up merchant in that house, and not once has he received the treatment that Gary has.
  • kimindexkimindex Posts: 68,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't really buy the 'bully' thing, though I think the housemates who have reared up most violently at Gary could have exercised more temperance - but not because he is an 'old, disabled' man. These impairments do not confer instant sainthood or indeed victimhood - I've posted on dedicated disability forums for seven years and I can tell you that nastiness, rudeness, stubbornness, etc can come as readily from a disabled person as an able one! And yes, a couple of the most unpleasant characters I can remember happened to be 'elderly' as well....

Gary should 'stand or fall' on his behaviour and nothing else, just like the rest of them. And by the way, I have loved watching him and think he's been a very entertaining housemate - doesn't mean I have to excuse him at every turn, though!
    Well said and a well-balanced view.
This discussion has been closed.