Options

Mobile Phone Without An OS?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 841
Forum Member
✭✭
Are there mobiles on the market that don't have an operating system such as Android? I just want a basic phone to text call and with a camera?:confused:

Comments

• Options
    sethpetsethpet Posts: 497
    Forum Member
    Are there mobiles on the market that don't have an operating system such as Android? I just want a basic phone to text call and with a camera?:confused:

Erm no...every phone has an OS
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sethpet wrote: »
    Erm no...every phone has an OS

But why?
  • Options
    Sunset DaleSunset Dale Posts: 1,732
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But why?

Why do you think? To control it. Otherwise you'd switch it on and there wouldn't be anything there. An expensive brick.
  • Options
    KesterKKesterK Posts: 3,485
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I presume what you mean is you don't want a smart phone? Just an old fashioned feature phone?
  • Options
    d123d123 Posts: 8,605
    Forum Member

The closest to that would be a "dumb" phone like a cheap Nokia or Samsung, just made for phone calls and texts.

For example
    Samsung E1200, no camera though.
    http://www.carphonewarehouse.com/phones/samsung-e1200/ppay?colourCode=BLACK

Or

Nokia 108 with a camera
    http://www.carphonewarehouse.com/phones/nokia-108/ppay?colourCode=BLACK
  • Options
    c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,624
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think OP is looking for a non-'smart' handset that basically makes calls, text and has a camera. The answer is yes they do still exist, something like Nokia 108 ?

http://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/mobile/phone/108/specifications/
  • Options
    finbaarfinbaar Posts: 4,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :o:o:o:o:o:o:o
  • Options
    PencilPencil Posts: 5,700
    Forum Member
    I long for the day when smartphones have no operating system, when you can pop into WHSmith or go to an online retailer and buy the latest version of iOS, Windows Phone or Android packaged, on a microSD card that auto-installs. I also long for the day when modular smartphones become popular.
  • Options
    BunionsBunions Posts: 15,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why do you think? To control it. Otherwise you'd switch it on and there wouldn't be anything there. An expensive brick.
    :D
    finbaar wrote: »
    :o:o:o:o:o:o:o
    :D
  • Options
    The Lord LucanThe Lord Lucan Posts: 5,054
    Forum Member
    Jam a SIM card into a Snickers or Mars bar. A candy bar mobile with no OS :D
  • Options
    noise747noise747 Posts: 30,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pencil wrote: »
    I long for the day when smartphones have no operating system, when you can pop into WHSmith or go to an online retailer and buy the latest version of iOS, Windows Phone or Android packaged, on a microSD card that auto-installs. I also long for the day when modular smartphones become popular.

i long for the day where there is a true open source Os for mobile phones that is as good as what is available now.
  • Options
    Jack_Wilson2Jack_Wilson2 Posts: 2,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The phones hardware components wouldn't know what to do without a O/S. It'd literally be a brick.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    noise747 wrote: »
    i long for the day where there is a true open source Os for mobile phones that is as good as what is available now.

There is its called android open source project. Download the code and give it a go.
  • Options
    neo_walesneo_wales Posts: 13,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

So whats wrong with whats available now?
  • Options
    Richard_TRichard_T Posts: 5,166
    Forum Member
    You could get an android device and, as above flash android open source project onto it, or you could install firefox OS, or Sailfish OS and theres probably a few more out there as well.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rosetech wrote: »
    There is its called android open source project. Download the code and give it a go.

If i had a old phone I would do.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    neo_wales wrote: »
    So whats wrong with whats available now?

It is not open source.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Richard_T wrote: »
    You could get an android device and, as above flash android open source project onto it, or you could install firefox OS, or Sailfish OS and theres probably a few more out there as well.

Sailfish seems to be getting there, firefox Os seems ok as well. but both Os needs a bit more time.

Great to see them. I think Ubuntu is a no go, it seems to have dies, but then I do not think i would bother with that.
  • Options
    DevonBlokeDevonBloke Posts: 6,835
    Forum Member
    Yes I think the OP meant "without a smart OS".
    All phones of course, have an OS of some sort.
    Plenty here http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2/275-2201437-2566757?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=cheap+mobile+phone
    All I did was go to Amazon and type Cheap mobile phone.
    Not quite sure why OP didn't try this first.
  • Options
    neo_walesneo_wales Posts: 13,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If i had a old phone I would do.

https://source.android.com/