Options

Posting with mistakes

Jenny_AustinJenny_Austin Posts: 367
Forum Member
Who here reads and rereads their posts for errors and readability, then realizes that what they have just posted is badly written just as the time allowed to edit them expires?:blush:

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,899
    Forum Member
    Who here reads and rereads their posts for errors and readability, then realizes that what they have just posted is badly written just as the time allowed to edit them expires?:blush:

I always read over them and sometimes my posts can come across as badly written :D
  • Options
    Tess-gTess-g Posts: 29,049
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Who here reads and rereads their posts for errors and readability, then reali[highlight]z[/highlight]es that what they have just posted is badly written just as the time allowed to edit them expires?:blush:
    Oops :D

Sorry but it was irresistible :blush:
  • Options
    bookcoverbookcover Posts: 6,216
    Forum Member
    Tess-g wrote: »
    Oops :D

Sorry but it was irresistible :blush:

I rarely give two hoots, but love it when the Nazi's pounce on me and make errors in their judgmental pontifications. :D:D:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Ramo1234 wrote: »
    I always read over them and sometimes my posts can come across as badly written :D

But typos and word play can be such fun at times...even Shakespeare was a master at it...Enjoy. :D:D:D
  • Options
    planetsplanets Posts: 47,784
    Forum Member
    bookcover wrote: »
    But typos and word play can be such fun at times...even Shakespeare was a master at it...Enjoy. :D:D:D

do you remember the Prompos thread?:D
    one of my all time favourites :D:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    planets wrote: »
    do you remember the Prompos thread?:D
    one of my all time favourites :D:D

No, I missed that.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Depends on how drunk I am:):)
  • Options
    AndrueAndrue Posts: 23,364
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I always read mine and nearly always end up editing it.
  • Options
    RandomSallyRandomSally Posts: 7,072
    Forum Member
    bookcover wrote: »
    I rarely give two hoots, but love it when the Nazi's pounce on me and make errors in their judgmental pontifications. :D:D:D

Nazis. No apostrophe.
    :p
  • Options
    kampffenhoffkampffenhoff Posts: 1,556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I usually check mine over for errors and if I see them in time I correct them. However, judging by the errors all over the place here, hardly anyone else does that. I don't correct other people though, not usually, but here is an interesting bit from an article on how to spell a certain word----

Although realize is now regarded by many in the U.K. and Australasia as the American spelling, it is not an Americanism. In fact, the -ize spelling variant is older than -ise—realize predates the United States and Canada by nearly two centuries—and has been the preferred spelling throughout most of the word’s history in English. If we can believe the ngram below, which graphs the use of realize and realise in British books and journals published between 1800 and 2000, realise had a brief ascendancy in British English from the late 19th century through the early 20th, but realize was preferred before around 1875 and is again preferred today—perhaps because of the influence of dictionaries like Oxford, Cambridge, and Collins, which encourage -ize over -ise.
  • Options
    PeteAPeteA Posts: 759
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I always proof-read my posts before submitting them, just in case there's any smelling pisstakes.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Nazis. No apostrophe.

Oh blows raspberry very loudly :p:D:D:D
  • Options
    grumpyscotgrumpyscot Posts: 11,354
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I prof rid ol my pasts befor pisting but sumthymes I git it wrang and misc the chans to erect it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    grumpyscot wrote: »
    I prof rid ol my pasts befor pisting but sumthymes I git it wrang and misc the chans to erect it.

:D:D:D Good Moaning...I was just pissing by, when I nosey thus paste...its luck 'ello 'ello Policeman. :D:D:D
  • Options
    Doctor_WibbleDoctor_Wibble Posts: 26,580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    [... but here is an interesting bit from an article on how to spell a certain word ...]

Although realize is now regarded by many in the U.K. and Australasia as the American spelling, it is not an Americanism. [...] realise had a brief ascendancy in British English from the late 19th century through the early 20th, but realize was preferred before around 1875 and is again preferred today [...]

I don't know who wrote that but it is not an accurate reflection of my experience of stuff with words in it. Having '-ize' instead of '-ise' in stuff written over here is infrequent enough that it gets noticed so I call BS on that one because it doesn't reflect 'normal stuff wot normal people read', quantity not equivalent to quality (etc).
    There's also the spell-checker US-by-default issue which skews the results.
  • Options
    DJGMDJGM Posts: 3,934
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So we've covered realize vs realise ... how about license vs licence ... ?!?
  • Options
    Jean-FrancoisJean-Francois Posts: 2,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DJGM wrote: »

As I understand it, license is a verb; I am licensed to run this pub, he is licensed to drive a taxi, licence is a noun; here is my licence, he has a licence, etc.
  • Options
    Jean-FrancoisJean-Francois Posts: 2,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nazis. No apostrophe.

Nice shooting Sally, bullseye, straight in the pickle barrel.
  • Options
    spiney2spiney2 Posts: 27,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i bake quiet a phew selling mishtakes in mi pots .......
  • Options
    nessyfencernessyfencer Posts: 9,195
    Forum Member
    Tess-g wrote: »
    Oops. :D

Sorry but it was irresistible. :blush:

Hmm...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    spiney2 wrote: »
    i bake quiet a phew selling mishtakes in mi pots .......

Excellent...peeps could be dyslexic, be on medication, anything...I personally have seizures etc and sometimes my thinking is not too clear...I make huge mistakes sometimes, so what? enjoy, I do...:D:D:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    DJGM wrote: »

Its both. :p
  • Options
    meglosmurmursmeglosmurmurs Posts: 35,109
    Forum Member
    I find the 'Preview Post' option quite useful to have a read of it before posting.

There's nothing worse than posting something you think is pretty good, only to look back at it later on and notice a couple of careless mistakes. Turning it from something you hope someone replies to, to something you hope is ignored and disappears.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I find the 'Preview Post' option quite useful to have a read of it before posting.

There's nothing worse than posting something you think is pretty good, only to look back at it later on and notice a couple of careless mistakes. Turning it from something you hope someone replies to, to something you hope is ignored and disappears.

I agree, or worse still the meaning of what you have said is taken out of context by one letter or a comma. :blush:>:(:p
  • Options
    kitty86kitty86 Posts: 7,034
    Forum Member
    I only really have that problem if I post from my phone after it helpfully autocorrects some of my words. I don't realise until reading back, usually well after the time expires :(