Options

Spelling, punctuation and grammar pedants: What annoys you the most?

Comments

• Options
    Bulletguy1Bulletguy1 Posts: 18,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Some are annoying......others can be unintentionally funny.
  • Options
    UKMikeyUKMikey Posts: 28,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    People seem to be sneaking a few examples of pronunciation "errors" into this thread as if spoken English were supposed to be held up to the same standard as written English. It's pretty difficult to edit a spoken sentence, I'd've thought.

As for the people who supposedly capitalise every word in a sentence I think DS does that to all-capitals posts so they don't look quite as threatening.
  • Options
    WhatJoeThinksWhatJoeThinks Posts: 11,037
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    People who spell the noun licence (as in TV LICENCE) license.
    'License' is the American spelling. Are we being taken over or what? :confused:

Drives me nuts :o
    Oh and text speak. I would never have a relationship with a man who writes in text speak. What else is he going to take short cuts over? ;-)

I think I've discussed this with somebody on here before...

Anyway, yes it turns out that license is a verb and licence is a noun, but I find most people err more the other way, always using a c. The American spelling is fool-proof, as you might expect. Native English people try to spell things differently from American English if there seems to be an option, so that we don't look foolish, and show ourselves up in the process. Without realizing it, of course. ;-)
  • Options
    QT 3.14QT 3.14 Posts: 1,771
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Native English people try to spell things differently from American English if there seems to be an option, so that we don't look foolish, and show ourselves up in the process. Without realizing it, of course. ;-)

No, native English people use the correct English lexicon because that is what they were taught at school. That's how it is for me any way.
  • Options
    shankly123shankly123 Posts: 598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Scotty 567 wrote: »
    Why do some people think that the plural of "you" is "yous"? I have noticed it quite a lot recently.

That's very common in Liverpool. There's an old joke about a teacher saying to an unruly pupil 'Stand up, Hughes!' and the whole class stood up.
  • Options
    kampffenhoffkampffenhoff Posts: 1,556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There are so many spelling and grammar mistakes everywhere it simply isn't worth getting bothered about it.
  • Options
    bobcarbobcar Posts: 19,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There are so many spelling and grammar mistakes everywhere it simply isn't worth getting bothered about it.

It's not worth getting bothered about it though it would be nice if places like DS had automatic highlights for such errors so people making them would realise and not make the same mistakes in the future.
  • Options
    SoundboxSoundbox Posts: 6,247
    Forum Member

But at what point does it matter - who decides? I see it on forums, on signs, in news articles, job applications - but as long as there are people writing correctly, the incorrect version will still flag up as incorrect. Sometimes wily people use this to their advantage when selling stuff so that they can say something without saying it, relying on the reader correcting a word to read something else other that written.

So until it truly does not matter and I can mash out a job application and compete with the best on level terms I will continue to try to write as well as I can.
  • Options
    SaturnVSaturnV Posts: 11,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    shankly123 wrote: »
    That's very common in Liverpool. There's an old joke about a teacher saying to an unruly pupil 'Stand up, Hughes!' and the whole class stood up.

Yous was imported from Ireland, it's a good word.
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think I've discussed this with somebody on here before...

Anyway, yes it turns out that license is a verb and licence is a noun, but I find most people err more the other way, always using a c. The American spelling is fool-proof, as you might expect. Native English people try to spell things differently from American English if there seems to be an option, so that we don't look foolish, and show ourselves up in the process. Without realizing it, of course. ;-)

This is especially annoying for me as I work for an American software company so all of our documentation and product information has to be written in American English. It just means that I have to be bilingual.
  • Options
    pearlsandplumspearlsandplums Posts: 29,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SaturnV wrote: »
    Yous was imported from Ireland, it's a good word.

The even better version of 'yous' is 'yousuns'. Are yousuns going to the cinema?

My mum says 'do be /does be' instead of 'is/are' a lot. 'There does be a lot of people in the shops near Christmas'.
  • Options
    Hugh JboobsHugh Jboobs Posts: 15,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    shankly123 wrote: »
    That's very common in Liverpool.

My mother-in-law is originally from Merseyside and she uses this. She pronounces it "yuz".

It really grates on me. But then again I detest the Scouse accent, so that may be why.
  • Options
    MmmbopMmmbop Posts: 924
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In front of me at work is a whiteboard on which people write the days off they have booked, at the top in permanent ink is written "holiday's"... Makes me want to rip it down and smash everyone in the office over the head with it.

Also, just in general, "would of", "could of", "should of" etc... really piss me off. It doesn't even make sense!
  • Options
    deans6571deans6571 Posts: 6,137
    Forum Member
    ....I can't stand it when I hear people say, 'arks' instead of 'ask' - really irritating!! >:(

...and another one: when I hear people use the word, 'us' but when they say it, they say it as 'uz'.... AARGGGGGGHH - STOP IT...!!!!!! >:(:D

Just thought of another one!!! At work, everyone seems to say the following saying : '...what's that got to do with the price of eggs?' when talking about something that has nothing to do with the subject being discussed.

I've always known the saying to use the word 'cheese' in place of the word 'eggs' so hearing them say 'eggs' all the time, sounds SO WRONG..!!!! >:(>:(
  • Options
    Hugh JboobsHugh Jboobs Posts: 15,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Another one I've noticed a lot recently (on this very forum actually) is a large number of people writing "ect" instead of "etc".

At first I just assumed it was a simple typo. But the frequency I've seen it used is making me think these people actually think it is "ect" and not "etc".

>:(
  • Options
    mrsgrumpy49mrsgrumpy49 Posts: 10,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    One thing that gets to me is the use of the terms 'spice' and 'spicy' on cookery programmes to mean 'chilli' and 'hot'. Even chefs do it - as in 'too much spice'. Do they mean nutmeg or cloves or cardammon or what? What spice are they talking about :confused:
    There are a zillion spices out there and chilli is just one kind.

Jamie Oliver on the radio today talked about a curry that was 'fragrant rather than spicy'.
    What an idiot.
  • Options
    barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jamie Oliver on the radio today talked about a curry that was 'fragrant rather than spicy'.
    What an idiot.
    Nothing wrong with that at all. It is quite possible for some types of curry to be fragrant. It's merely an articulate and imaginative observation, rather than stating the blatantly obvious.

What really annoys me is the use of that horrible word, "gotten". The use of got should be avoided whenever possible, but gotten is even worse.

Teen-speak also grates but can actually be quite amusing. One of my younger relatives posted photo's of home-made Christmas decorations on his Facebook page, to which a female friend replied: "You should sell these... People would totally buy them!"

That makes me laugh every time I see it :D
  • Options
    gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I do not like the "spoken" use of the word "to", when it sounds like "tuh".

Female radio presenters do this a lot. I find it very grating. Sounds affected.

White wine, yah, sort of thing.

And I can't stand "them footballers". The BBC should sack them instantly, #RobbieSavage.

But starting sentences with And and But is fine. A preposition is something you should never end a sentence with. Finally, to boldly split infinitives was not a problem in the past.

I think people should use better English, like what I do.
  • Options
    jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member

Innit. I iz da bomb where Inglish iz conserned.
  • Options
    valkayvalkay Posts: 15,726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    . Native English people try to spell things differently from American English if there seems to be an option, so that we don't look foolish, and show ourselves up in the process. Without realizing it, of course. ;-)

I agree that "ize" is an Americanism, but according to Susie Dent on Countdown and O.E.D lexicographer, it is correct in English.>:(
  • Options
    d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,530
    Forum Member
    And I can't stand "them footballers". The BBC should sack them instantly, #RobbieSavage.

But starting sentences with And and But is fine. A preposition is something you should never end a sentence with. Finally, to boldly split infinitives was not a problem in the past.

From what you have posted, I can see what you are getting at. Robbie Savage must go! :cool:
  • Options
    Maisymoo82Maisymoo82 Posts: 1,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've noticed on Facebook a lot, people writing "why" instead of "while", e.g. "Having a glass of wine why I wait for my takeaway".

It really annoys me when people leave out vowels (again a Facebook thing) "jst gt in frm wrk cnt w8 2 c ma bby". I'd say it was laziness but I've just typed out that sentence and had to undo the autocorrect on every word which took me twice as long as typing it out normally!
  • Options
    AsmoAsmo Posts: 15,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    UKMikey wrote: »
    People seem to be sneaking a few examples of pronunciation "errors" into this thread as if spoken English were supposed to be held up to the same standard as written English. It's pretty difficult to edit a spoken sentence, I'd've thought.

What does editing have to do with it? Many of the written examples also exist in spoken form - 'eksetra' (ect) instead of etc, 'wander' instead of wonder (& vice versa - incidentally that's another one "visa versa"), 'should/would of' in place of have. You'll hear them all the time. I wouldn't wish him on anyone, but in the interest of research, watch Jeremy Kyle in action, as he mangles his metaphors, mispronounces and drops 'should of' and 'would of' like confetti. Don't get me started on Sky News crop of presenters. Their scrolling ticker sometimes has some real howlers wafting by too.
  • Options
    Chuck WaoChuck Wao Posts: 2,724
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    life's too short :)
  • Options
    daniellehdanielleh Posts: 7,852
    Forum Member
    I have to agree with a few posters on here, "should of" really irks me.