When booking your holiday at travel agents do you need your passport

phantom sneezephantom sneeze Posts: 1,064
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I'm going through Thomas Cook holidays and booking on Monday, I was wondering do you need your passport details or can you book without passport? Thanks. If you do would a photocopy on a sheet of paper do?

Comments

• AnitaSAnitaS Posts: 4,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You don't need your passport to book a holiday. You obviously need one to go though.
  • RellyRelly Posts: 3,469
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I didn't have a passport at all when I booked my last holiday at a travel agent's. I booked it no problem, then sorted out the passport before I travelled. I think they'll be more interested in your money.
  • JulesandSandJulesandSand Posts: 6,012
    Forum Member
    No you don't but check the country you are visiting as some require a passport valid for 6 months (from the date of entry).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No you don't but check the country you are visiting as some require a passport valid for 6 months (from the date of entry).

Oh good advice! I never knew that! It's a good job I was only going to Spain then. :D
  • AVTECHAVTECH Posts: 1,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ensure that all names on the booking are EXACTLY as listed on the respective passports, so it may be handy to have passports or photocopies if you are booking a group of friends and may not be aware of different spellings of names.

There can be ridiculous charges for corrections after the booking is confirmed, and don't expect the travel agent to admit responsibility even if it is caused by a typo by their staff in the shop.
  • Blondie XBlondie X Posts: 28,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No but you will need your full passport details to be entered on your booking before you travel because of the API rules.
  • nuttytiggernuttytigger Posts: 14,053
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Blondie X wrote: »
    No but you will need your full passport details to be entered on your booking before you travel because of the API rules.

You can do that at home though.
  • dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,501
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No you don't need your passport to book a holiday, though it is wise just to check spelling of names, as they need to match the passports. Known many a time somebody has booked a wrong name, especially when people prefer to use their middle name as opposed to their Christian name, or you know somebody as Bob and their actual name is Robert etc.

The other reason a passport is required (though not at the time of booking), is as said by the poster above, because certain Countries require the passport information (API), but this usually only has to be given about a week before departure, and can be done either via the agent or by yourself at home.
  • gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Depending how you pay for your currency, you may need id such as a passport at that tome, though.
  • walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,818
    Forum Member

Which ones are those?
  • mo mousemo mouse Posts: 38,764
    Forum Member
    Which ones are those?

I think Ghana is one but I've never been so I'm not sure.
  • DMN1968DMN1968 Posts: 2,875
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Whilst many countries do not have restrictions on how long you must have left on your passport before it expires, some package tour operators themselves insist on a minimum amount remaining.

Also many package tour operators insist that you demonstrate to them that you have travel insurance in place. I do believe the law was changed a couple of years back so they could not mandate you to use their insurance.
  • CitySlickerCitySlicker Posts: 10,414
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd double check for Spain - last time I travelled I had to provide my passport details before I travelled.
  • JulesandSandJulesandSand Posts: 6,012
    Forum Member
    Which ones are those?

I'm sure we needed 180 days left on our passports (and 2 blank pages) to get a visa for India last year. We're going to Russia next year and the requirements are the same as India.

I thought USA was another but UK citizens are exempt from that rule
  • Mystical123Mystical123 Posts: 15,820
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought USA was another but UK citizens are exempt from that rule

A lot of airlines still won't let you fly to the US on a passport with less than 6 months' validity though, and really it's pointless to even try.

As far as I can remember Turkey is another that requires a specific minimum passport validity, though it may be 3 months rather than 6.
  • grumpyscotgrumpyscot Posts: 11,353
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And for the USA, you'll need an approved ESTA before you can travel (or visa if you have certain convictions)
  • xp95xp95 Posts: 2,439
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Relly wrote: »
    Oh good advice! I never knew that! It's a good job I was only going to Spain then. :D
    A lot of airlines insist on the 6 months rule even if you are only flying to another EU country such as Spain or France! :rolleyes:
  • detroitcitydetroitcity Posts: 4,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A lot of airlines still won't let you fly to the US on a passport with less than 6 months' validity though, and really it's pointless to even try.

All airlines will let you fly to the US if you are a UK citizen carrying a UK passport no matter how long is left on it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    xp95 wrote: »
    A lot of airlines insist on the 6 months rule even if you are only flying to another EU country such as Spain or France! :rolleyes:

Such as?

I deal with Ryanair, Easyjet, BA, and Monarch regularly and it's none of them.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All airlines will let you fly to the US if you are a UK citizen carrying a UK passport no matter how long is left on it.
    All airlines will let you fly to the US without an ESTA or a visa if you are lucky enough to be a holder of a Canadian passport! :cool:
  • walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,818
    Forum Member
    Such as?

I deal with Ryanair, Easyjet, BA, and Monarch regularly and it's none of them.

Yes, lots of people saying 'certain' airlines and 'certain' countries but not many people saying which ones.
  • cris182cris182 Posts: 9,595
    Forum Member
    Yes, lots of people saying 'certain' airlines and 'certain' countries but not many people saying which ones.

To be fair i also know these rules exist. But i don't know the exact details and would only check the country/airline i was travelling with and not learn all the lists and rules. So people may be vague but with good reason
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Indeed, the only instance I have ever heard of an airline denying boaring on a short haul European flight is this one - http://www.independent.co.uk/travel/news-and-advice/easyjet-admits-bungle-after-barring-passenger-with-two-months-left-on-his-passport-8665863.html and Easyjet owned up to making a mistake.

Validity: What counts

Within the EU, a full British passport is valid for travel up to and including the last day of validity. The same applies to many non-EU countries within Europe, and to the USA – so long as a visa or “Esta” is obtained.

Many countries outside Europe stipulate a minimum period of validity, usually three or six months – often calculated from the intended date of departure, not arrival.

Those imposing a six-month minimum include popular destinations such as Egypt and Thailand.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    xp95 wrote: »

Wow, rolling your eyes at me for not knowing something - how positively delightful of you. Not. When I booked that package holiday with the travel agent, not one word was said about my passport, so I'm assuming British Airways isn't included in that "a lot of airlines" you mention? Or did I somehow slip into Spain as an illegal immigrant?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Indeed, the only instance I have ever heard of an airline denying boaring on a short haul European flight is this one - http://www.independent.co.uk/travel/news-and-advice/easyjet-admits-bungle-after-barring-passenger-with-two-months-left-on-his-passport-8665863.html and Easyjet owned up to making a mistake.

Validity: What counts

Within the EU, a full British passport is valid for travel up to and including the last day of validity. The same applies to many non-EU countries within Europe, and to the USA – so long as a visa or “Esta” is obtained.

Many countries outside Europe stipulate a minimum period of validity, usually three or six months – often calculated from the intended date of departure, not arrival.

Those imposing a six-month minimum include popular destinations such as Egypt and Thailand.
    I think countries like Canada, Japan, Australia, New Zealand and Fiji etc also impose a six months validity period as well.