Champions League Simultaneous Kick Offs

13»

Comments

• Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    UEFA would never agree to that.

It would mean non fans like me would be able to go for a quiet drink without the drone from the television when this is on and being asked whether or not such and such was offside when you're not interested. However, usually I avoid going out when it's on as apart from rights issues, football has zero interest to me anyway.
  • BelligerenceBelligerence Posts: 40,613
    Forum Member
    When games are played in Russia, and that region, games tend to KO at 5.45pm UK time.
    The final in Moscow ended at 1am local time IIRC. :D
    Andy79 wrote: »
    Are you suggesting UEFA change the format of the Champions League because ITV have lost the rights to it?

On a more general note, people who think less games are the answer are missing the point.

UEFA were forced to bring in these group stages to appease the clubs and stop them forming a European League of their own (away from UEFA). Clubs know how much money they can make from more games and therefore want to play more games so as to maximise their revenue. Anyone who thinks otherwise, is, IMHO, mistaken.
    The group stages and seedings were introduced to prevent a Real Madrid from exiting early.

Much prefer it if the competition could become straight knock outs like before, but in this day and age TV companies wouldn't agree to that. Nor would sponsors.
  • DDRickyDDDDRickyDD Posts: 5,250
    Forum Member
    I don't like idea at all, there's no atmosphere at European matches kicking off early, it's like players and fans are just going through the motions. Fans are too busy to spend 4-5 hours on a weekday watching football matches, it would ruin the experience if say Bayern-Man United, or any other big match, was on at 6pm.

Also, I think the Europa League would be better played on a Tuesday, that way you build up the the main event. It's a bit of let down watching the high quality CL, then 2nd rate EL players the day after.
  • rfonzorfonzo Posts: 11,772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think it is tradition for matches to be kicked off simultaneously and therefore it should stay that way. Teams and players are used to matches being played at a certain time in spite of their domestic matches being different.
  • Mr.LavigneMr.Lavigne Posts: 922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Slightly different issue, but wouldn't it be better for ITV to show a highlights package on a Wednesday when they can show all four ties, rather than the one on Tuesday, where they can only show you one game that hasn't already been shown?
  • PhilH36PhilH36 Posts: 26,295
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rfonzo wrote: »
    I think it is tradition for matches to be kicked off simultaneously and therefore it should stay that way. Teams and players are used to matches being played at a certain time in spite of their domestic matches being different.

Not really, simultaneous kick-offs were bought in after the 1982 World Cup in which West Germany and Austria conspired to produce a 1-0 win for the Germans which qualified both countries and eliminated Algeria-the latter having already completed their group games so the Germans and Austrians knew what was needed to send them both through.
  • Paul_CrawfordPaul_Crawford Posts: 5,860
    Forum Member
    Mr.Lavigne wrote: »
    Slightly different issue, but wouldn't it be better for ITV to show a highlights package on a Wednesday when they can show all four ties, rather than the one on Tuesday, where they can only show you one game that hasn't already been shown?

Its a rights issue, ITV can only show highlights on a Tuesday.
  • Steveaustin316Steveaustin316 Posts: 15,779
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    PhilH36 wrote: »
    Not really, simultaneous kick-offs were bought in after the 1982 World Cup in which West Germany and Austria conspired to produce a 1-0 win for the Germans which qualified both countries and eliminated Algeria-the latter having already completed their group games so the Germans and Austrians knew what was needed to send them both through.

I'm surprised they didn't start having simultaneous kick offs after the controversial Argentina v Peru game in 1978.
  • Scotty_WaldenScotty_Walden Posts: 1,544
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ShaunIOW wrote: »
    Have all Europa League matches on a Tuesday, all CL on a Wednesday, all matches in a round played on the same night, with 7.45pm kick-offs.

Even when clubs from the same city are playing at home in the same round?
  • batdude_uk1batdude_uk1 Posts: 78,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Even when clubs from the same city are playing at home in the same round?

How would that scenario work if AC Milan and Inter Milan were both say at home for their round of games in the Champions League?
  • Scotty_WaldenScotty_Walden Posts: 1,544
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How would that scenario work if AC Milan and Inter Milan were both say at home for their round of games in the Champions League?

Currently, they are 'paired' in the group stage, so they are not at home on the same night (or week). In knock out rounds, they would be changed around to suit.
  • Nick GNick G Posts: 1,099
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DDRickyDD wrote: »
    I don't like idea at all, there's no atmosphere at European matches kicking off early, it's like players and fans are just going through the motions. Fans are too busy to spend 4-5 hours on a weekday watching football matches, it would ruin the experience if say Bayern-Man United, or any other big match, was on at 6pm.

Also, I think the Europa League would be better played on a Tuesday, that way you build up the the main event. It's a bit of let down watching the high quality CL, then 2nd rate EL players the day after.

Agree with you about Europa league on a Tuesday but it should revert to being the UEFA Cup and a straight knockout. I'd make the Champions League 4 groups of 6 and scrap the elongated round of 16 stage. 9 games on Wednesday night, 3 on Thursday. The bigger sides will play each other more often with potentially one English, German, Italian and Spanish side in a typical group. Teams likes Dinamo Zagreb that are invariably outclassed in the group stage would have to get through two play-off rounds to qualify. Would the competition be any weaker for their absence?
  • AZZURRI 06AZZURRI 06 Posts: 11,173
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I suppose we should be grateful, I remember back in the days when European Cup, Cup Winners Cup (ask your father...) and UEFA Cup ties were all played on Wednesday nights!!!!!!!!
  • KarlHydeKarlHyde Posts: 1,830
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PhilH36 wrote: »
    Indeed that's the reason for having simultaneous kick-offs for the last round of group matches.

But in earlier World Cups, loads of games kicked off simultaneously, so that TV stations around the world could pick the most interesting match for live coverage. Nobody thought that people might actually bother to watch every single game.

Before 1978, up to 4 matches were played at the same time, even the quarter finals.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1966_FIFA_World_Cup#Quarter-finals