Options

Roger Daltrey surprises newly weds.

Comments

• Options
    Blondie XBlondie X Posts: 28,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good bloke Roger.

My mum and stepdad were on a cruise a few years back and Roger was a passenger along with Chris Difford from Squeeze. One night, Roger asked if he could sing a few numbers and he gave a free performance to the rest of the travellers.
  • Options
    goonernataliegoonernatalie Posts: 4,179
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Very nice of him
  • Options
    Heston VestonHeston Veston Posts: 6,496
    Forum Member

At least he didn't sing "Won't Get Fooled Again" to the happy couple.
  • Options
    bryemycazbryemycaz Posts: 11,738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Or "I'm a Substitute for another guy"
  • Options
    Eddie BadgerEddie Badger Posts: 6,005
    Forum Member

:) I saw a wedding video where the groom was older than the bride and the first song the band played was "Lyin' Eyes" by the Eagles. Maybe they knew something...
  • Options
    kampffenhoffkampffenhoff Posts: 1,556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He's quite a lot older than my Mum, if my partner and I decided to get married and he turned up and started to sing something from when my Mum was a child we would be very upset indeed.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He's quite a lot older than my Mum, if my partner and I decided to get married and he turned up and started to sing something from when my Mum was a child we would be very upset indeed.

"I'd turn down a rock legends charitable and selfless efforts!"
    Maybe you should stop cowering and abiding by men who view women as lowly women simply because a woman can be forthright and modern, instead of living in the 80s and living barefoot between the bedroom and kitchen.

Roger Daltry's skills have diminished but the intent was honest and sincere. As is, frankly, he's a credit to his industry.
  • Options
    Forum Member

Yes, I'd be upset as well if Rog sang something at your wedding.
  • Options
    Phoenix LazarusPhoenix Lazarus Posts: 17,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maybe you should stop cowering and abiding by men who view women as lowly women simply because a woman can be forthright and modern, instead of living in the 80s and living barefoot between the bedroom and kitchen.

You can't be more than about twenty if you have that sort of view of the 1980s. Women weren't living like that, on the whole, back then.

About the Who's best track, for my money, with You Better You Bet.
  • Options
    gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,657
    Forum Member
    Roger Daltry's skills have diminished
    But still blows away many of today's singers.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "I'd turn down a rock legends charitable and selfless efforts!"

Roger Daltry's skills have diminished but the intent was honest and sincere. As is, frankly, he's a credit to his industry.

I can't see what this has to do with what I said. I have heard Daltry and I didn't like what I heard. This has nothing to do with what you have posted. If someone you don't like suddenly turns up at your wedding and starts to sing something from years before you were born you are entitled to not like it and I never said the bit you have put in quotes either.
  • Options
    Ella NutElla Nut Posts: 9,063
    Forum Member

Don't worry petal, I'm sure it's something you'll never have to worry about.

Meanwhile back to the actual people involved in this story, thankfully the whole thing went down a storm. “Everyone in the room went mental when he appeared, it was epic.”

Anyway, how do you know he didn't actually ask the couple if it was alright for him to get up and sing?? The article says he asked the band, so it's not unreasonable to think he also asked the bride and groom. The headline "gatecrashed" is probably a bit misleading.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ella Nut wrote: »
    Don't worry petal, I'm sure it's something you'll never have to worry about.

Meanwhile back to the actual people involved in this story, thankfully the whole thing went down a storm. “Everyone in the room went mental when he appeared, it was epic.”

Anyway, how do you know he didn't actually ask the couple if it was alright for him to get up and sing?? The article says he asked the band, so it's not unreasonable to think he also asked the bride and groom. The headline "gatecrashed" is probably a bit misleading.

A non story then. He asks if he can sing, they say yes, he sings. Mind you, I love the idea of a whole room full of people going mental. I might have to say yes sing just to see some of my somewhat numerous German and Scottish relatives going mental. It sounds great fun.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    A non story then. He asks if he can sing, they say yes, he sings. Mind you, I love the idea of a whole room full of people going mental. I might have to say yes sing just to see some of my somewhat numerous German and Scottish relatives going mental. It sounds great fun.

It's really not a non-story. Complete legend rock star (for he is, regardless of what you think) turns up at your wedding and sings a song with the band is a very nice story. Don't underestimate what a heck of a lot of people would make of it if it happened to them - me included. In fact in years to come, it's what a lot of the guests are likely to talk about more than the wedding itself!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    You can't be more than about twenty if you have that sort of view of the 1980s. Women weren't living like that, on the whole, back then.

I love You Better You Bet.
  • Options
    paul2307paul2307 Posts: 8,079
    Forum Member
    Just to shut up some of the moaners on here the couple are fans of the Who and when Daltrey found out he he went along to give them his best wishes , the Daily Record didn't mention that bit

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2855292/Look-Roger-Daltrey-impromptu-wedding-singer-Rock-star-performs-amazed-couple-staying-hotel-reception-held.html
  • Options
    Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 118,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I love this story. :):) Nice to read a cheerful story for a change.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Wish he'd sung at my wedding - all I got was the ex's Uncle Bob bellowing My Way.
  • Options
    barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Those just happen to be two of their tracks that I really can't stand and you can add Squeeze Box and Magic Bus as well. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    barbeler wrote: »
    Those just happen to be two of their tracks that I really can't stand and you can add Squeeze Box and Magic Bus as well. :D

Won't Get Fooled Again - masterpiece
    You Better You Bet - meh
    Magic Bus OK
    Squeeze Box - meh

Baba O'Riley, I Can See For Miles, 5:15, Love Reign O'Er Me, Behind Blue Eyes, My Generation, ...
  • Options
    Blondie XBlondie X Posts: 28,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wish he'd sung at my wedding - all I got was the ex's Uncle Bob bellowing My Way.

:D:D:D

He should meet my aunt Val. She's about 87 now and still guaranteed to be belting out Show Me The Way To Go Home at 2am any family occasion
  • Options
    i4ui4u Posts: 55,053
    Forum Member
    Is it true he offered sing 'Won't Get Fooled Again' at the divorce?
  • Options
    CFCJM1CFCJM1 Posts: 2,065
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He does so much for charity especially the Teenage Cancer Trust - no idea why he hasn't had a knighthood - when so many other idiots have been given one over the years.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    CFCJM1 wrote: »
    He does so much for charity especially the Teenage Cancer Trust - no idea why he hasn't had a knighthood - when so many other idiots have been given one over the years.

Totally agree. Some recognition is long overdue.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He may not quite have the voice that he had when The Who were at their peak but he can still out sing people half his age. He showed he still has the ability on the album he did with Wilko Johnson. He's remarkably well preserved for his age.