Does anyone else think the McQueens are the only enjoyable things on Hollyoaks now?

iMatt_101iMatt_101 Posts: 7,081
Forum Member
The show is in an awful state at the moment IMO
Awful acting, bad characters, badly thought out storylines, too much happening each episode, crap dialogue etc etc

Does anyone else find that the McQueens are the only saving graces at the moment?
They seem to be the only actors/actresses that turn the crappy scripts in to something good on screen
I don't even know what it is, I just suddenly enjoy the show when the McQueens are at the forefront

Take Carmel and Mercedes's death week for example

The actual plot was AWFUL

-Phoebe frames Carmel for setting up Theresa
-Carmel is kidnapped by Sonny
-Sonny manipulates sweet, innocent Carmel in to going back and KIDNAPPING Kathleen Angel
-The McQueens find out what Carmel did and disown her
-There is a contrived train crash and Carmel survives, it looks like Theresa is about to die...but Carmel suddenly saves her and dies instead
-The McQueens falsely accuse Mercedes of taking Carmel's ring
-Mercedes turns up drunk to Carmel's funeral, hurls abuse at her family, leaves and is randomly murdered aswell

When you put it like this the whole storyline is AWFUL
And I think if any other family had this SL they would have made it come across on screen as awful as it sounds

But the McQueens made this actually work
Despite the awful SL that must have been a nightmare to work with on screen, I actually enjoyed this week
Even though Carmel and Mercedes were my two favorite characters on the show and were both being killed off on the same week, I still enjoyed it an this week was actually the highlight of the year!

For example, any other family attempting to do the Phoebe/Sonny/Carmel/Theresa fiasco would have made it as OTT and contrived as it sounds like the Blakes or the Roscoes but the McQueens made it work and I actually felt sorry for Carmel even though TPTB seemed to be trying their hardest to ruin the character before her death. Same with Mercedes, her final scene in the church where she hurled abuse at her family - the stuff she was saying was unforgivable and most other actors would have let their character get ruined like that. But I still felt so much vulnerability in Mercedes despite what she was doing, especially her final walk out the church.

Why is it the McQueens seem to be the only enjoyable things ATM? Even the other long timers like Tony, Cindy, Darren and Nancy are letting their SL's seem as OTT as they actually are. Is it because the McQueens are better actors? Or is it to do with their off screen chemistry? They just seem to light up the screen when they're on!

Comments

• Scorpio2Scorpio2 Posts: 5,632
    Forum Member
    I agree the McQueens are possibly one of the best families in Hollyoaks infact they ARE Hollyoaks and once they are all gone Hollyoaks dies.
  • iMatt_101iMatt_101 Posts: 7,081
    Forum Member
    Scorpio2 wrote: »
    I agree the McQueens are possibly one of the best families in Hollyoaks infact they ARE Hollyoaks and once they are all gone Hollyoaks dies.
    Agreed
    It's like the Mitchell's in EE
    Without them, the show is nothing
  • lady_xanaxlady_xanax Posts: 5,662
    Forum Member
    The McQueens have always been OTT so can get away with these plots.
  • D.DotAD.DotA Posts: 2,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The McQueens are HO. I enjoy the McQueen SL's (except JP's SL's), along with the Blakes and Trevor and Grace. I don't really enjoy other SL's as much. Tegan's baby swap SL has actually been okay so far. They've done it in a realsic way, not how I epexted so am happy to admit HO has done it right so far.
  • vkmaxvkmax Posts: 3,093
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have to say I've grown to love Nana and I like Celine. I'd like to see more of Porsche she's barely been it since she arrived. Still not keen on Theresa but hate her less recently. JP I almost dont class as a McQueen as his stories have always been more seperated from the family.

Phoebe I like when she's old school (ala the Rick story) but hate when she's a plot device (Sonny)