Firefox 25 Update

2»

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,003
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Early days, but all three copies I run are fine and running in slightly less memory than before, which is very handy on the much loved old EEE PC.
    It also seems to have cured a problem on a Vista machine in the house (it's not mine, guv, honest) where Firefox 24 would fade and show 'not responding' for up to 2 minutes for no apparent reason.
  • neo_walesneo_wales Posts: 13,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm running 25 at the moment and its fine. To be honest I don't see any difference in performance in browsers these days, IE10, FF, Chrome, Torch and Opera are all on mine. They all open very quickly; FF has the edge for me with the range of add ons available.
  • SuperwombleSuperwomble Posts: 4,361
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just done the upgrade to 25, now the process keeps running after Firefox closes. Attempting to re-open leads to the message 'Firefox is running but not responding' and having to open the Task Manager and stopping the process, or restarting the system, before Firefox will re-open properly.

I agree Firefox is becoming a bloody nuisance. If it werent for my bookmarks which are quite detailed, Id be using another browser now. Get your fingers out, Mozilla. Stop sodding around with it and make sure it works properly before you auto-update people.
  • call100call100 Posts: 7,264
    Forum Member
    Just done the upgrade to 25, now the process keeps running after Firefox closes. Attempting to re-open leads to the message 'Firefox is running but not responding' and having to open the Task Manager and stopping the process, or restarting the system, before Firefox will re-open properly.

I agree Firefox is becoming a bloody nuisance. If it werent for my bookmarks which are quite detailed, Id be using another browser now. Get your fingers out, Mozilla. Stop sodding around with it and make sure it works properly before you auto-update people.

It does here.....and for several others in this thread alone, so, is it Mozilla?
    Perhaps take it back to 24 and retry the update?....Tech eh!? never straight forward...:(
  • koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    What is the best way to trouble shoot Firefox?

I have a delay in two plugins when I first start Firefox, after that they work OK, but I'm not sure what is happening.
  • LION8TIGERLION8TIGER Posts: 8,484
    Forum Member

I have a delay in two plugins when I first start Firefox, after that they work OK, but I'm not sure what is happening.

Have you clicked on 'check to see if your plugins are up to date' at the top of the plugins page.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    LION8TIGER wrote: »
    Have you clicked on 'check to see if your plugins are up to date' at the top of the plugins page.

Yes they are up to date.
    Forum Member
    Yes they are up to date.

I don't know then but you could either uninstall Flash and Silverlight, reboot and reinstall (Windows update for Silverlight) then see is it fixed. Or uninstall Firefox and reinstall.

Whenever I've had problems with Firefox that I can't fix I remove and reinstall it, rarely happens.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I don't know then but you could either uninstall Flash and Silverlight, reboot and reinstall (Windows update for Silverlight) then see is it fixed. Or uninstall Firefox and reinstall.

Whenever I've had problems with Firefox that I can't fix I remove and reinstall it, rarely happens.

How do I reinstall with out affecting my saved passwords?
    Forum Member
    How do I reinstall with out affecting my saved passwords?

I think Firefox gives you the option to keep your profile when you uninstall it which should keep passwords.
    Not too sure though as I have always deleted the profile as well :confused:. There is Mozbackup which is supposed to do this but it didn't work for me so I just do screenshots of bookmarks and things and do them all again. Passwords are in my head so just have to put them back in once ..... doesn't take long.

Edit: some info here on profiles.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think Firefox gives you the option to keep your profile when you uninstall it which should keep passwords.
    Not too sure though as I have always deleted the profile as well :confused:. There is Mozbackup which is supposed to do this but it didn't work for me so I just do screenshots of bookmarks and things and do them all again. Passwords are in my head so just have to put them back in once ..... doesn't take long.

Edit: some info here on profiles.
    I found out how to save the passwords, and have reinstalled FF.

So far no problems with the add ons.
  • call100call100 Posts: 7,264
    Forum Member
    Just updated to 26.....No problems so far....
    Forum Member
    I found out how to save the passwords, and have reinstalled FF.

So far no problems with the add ons.

Great stuff.
    I found out how to save the passwords

How ?, if you don't mind me asking.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Great stuff.

How ?, if you don't mind me asking.

You need to save these files from the profile directory.

signons.sq;lite file and the key3.db file to restore the passwords.
    Forum Member
    You need to save these files from the profile directory.

signons.sq;lite file and the key3.db file to restore the passwords.

OK thanks.
  • NewWorldManNewWorldMan Posts: 4,890
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

the recomended procedure is

1. Run in safe mode with all disabled.
    2. If that works try re-enabling extensions (if applicable) one by one.
    3. If still no joy, try creating a new profile after backing up the old one.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    the recomended procedure is

1. Run in safe mode with all disabled.
    2. If that works try re-enabling extensions (if applicable) one by one.
    3. If still no joy, try creating a new profile after backing up the old one.

Cheers, after finding out how to save my passwords I did a completely fresh install, but I'll try that way next time.
  • Molly BloomMolly Bloom Posts: 2,318
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm having issues with Firefox since it updated automatically on me a couple of days ago. Is there anything I can do, like uninstalling Firefox and downgrading to a slightly older version? Thanks. :)
  • StarDeltaStarDelta Posts: 485
    Forum Member
    You can pick an earlier version here. http://www.filehippo.com/download_firefox/