Options

I need helping with Samsung products

We have:- this DVD recorder, this telly and this surround sound. They were all connected via scart and you can view them by changing the 'source' on the telly (also, PS2 can be used without changing cables etc). Everything worked fine etc. We then got some HDMI cables and used those instead of scarts etc. The DVD Recorder started to play up after that. The counter sort of stutters. It will tick over fine and then sort of pause for a second and then count fast to catch up. Then when watching the programme we have recorded on the hard-drive, it pauses at the same places the counter stuck. Sometimes it sorts itself out, but other times we have to tell it to FF past that point. So we took the HDMI cables out and went back to scart thinking it was the new cables. But now the telly wont pick up the DVD Recorder. So tried again with the cables and the counter did the same.

So, we did what we thought was the logical thing and called Samsung. They said it was our ariel. We explained that they are 2 years old and were checked in September when we got the telly and all was fine (they are digital ariels too). The bloke on the phone then said that the signal is either too strong or too weak, but the DVD Recorder was fine (got it at the end of December and was working ok). He told us to make the freeview in the DVD Recorder restore all the channels and then it should work ok. But no, it doesnt.

Are we missing anything? Any advice? We're not brilliant at technology, but we know something is wrong somewhere.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,087
    Forum Member
    digital signal should be 80 to 85 % or it swamps the analogue signal so look for a meter when changing channels

when analogue gets switched off digital will increase the signal

you could fit an attentuator to reduce the signal and maplin have them

you could try a rescan as i think this is what samsung meant ?

you could also try this firmware update , if thats what it is ? its 0.0 so could be the one it came with but you will need to find out what firmware you have on it

http://www.samsung.com/uk/support/download/supportDown.do?group=homeentertainment&type=dvd&subtype=dvdrecorder&model_nm=DVD-SH853M&disp_nm=DVD-SH853M&language=&dType=D&mType=FM&vType=R&prd_ia_cd=03010700
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32
    Forum Member
    We did a rescan whilst on the phone to Samsung and its no better.

Would the signal strength change like that? The Recorder has been fine (even if watching freeview through it) and only started playing up once we put a HDMI cable in it. Although i'm not sure how that will make it play up.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    whats your postcode and I will check the transmittor
  • Options
    Forum Member
    dn34. We use the Belmont ariel thing if thats any help. It does all of Lincolnshire and Yorkshire (maybe other areas too)

Last night we managed to find the signal info. On BBC is was 90+% but on the liks of Ideal World its at 46-48%. We recorded both Coronation Streets and Eastenders on Monday. Eastenders was terrible and kept pausing every min or so. We have watched 5 mins of Corrie and it hasnt paused yet.

We're still within our 28days to take it back if needed. We're just a bit confused at how its suddenly become a problem.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    http://www.ukfree.tv/txdetail.php?a=TF218836

this is info on your transmittor and some of the channels are low power at the transmittor , however if you are getting bbc at 90% thats ideal !!

so what to do ?

it sounds as if the hard drive is faulty to me and you havent mentioned that you have problems watching LIVE telly only recorded programmes. So take back and get another one or money back
  • Options
    Forum Member
    http://www.ukfree.tv/txdetail.php?a=TF218836

this is info on your transmittor and some of the channels are low power at the transmittor , however if you are getting bbc at 90% thats ideal !!

so what to do ?

it sounds as if the hard drive is faulty to me and you havent mentioned that you have problems watching LIVE telly only recorded programmes. So take back and get another one or money back

Yes, watching telly though it is fine. Even watching the channel its recording and its fine, until you watch what its recorded.

Thanks so much for your help.