Options

I can believe what we've started selling....

Comments

• Options
    Fairyprincess0Fairyprincess0 Posts: 30,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    steveh31 wrote: »
    I loved it except the management at the time were so incompetent they were losing £4000 worth of clothes a quarter from thieves.

If your busy. There is no shoplifting deterrent....
  • Options
    steveh31steveh31 Posts: 13,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If your busy. There is no shoplifting deterrent....

Well we had an area manager turn up one evening at 6pm he stood there and basically said " we are all letting our manager down he had her in tears".

We had 4 aisles and an assortment of clothing aisles we couldn't stack shelves, work the till and be security guards but he wouldn't have it we suggested cctv - too expensive, turnstiles - too dangerous if people needed to get out in an emergency, security guard - not needed what staff were for.

No matter what we said we couldn't make him understand that 4 or 5 people can not cover everything, we actually had thieves who smiled at us when they left.
  • Options
    D_Mcd4D_Mcd4 Posts: 10,438
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When I got my first flat and my savings were wiped out, Poundies was great. But their loo brush snapped in half, the lid fell off their bin, their "stainless" steel cutlery tarnished and the static off their "cotton rich" bedding would make your hair stand on end. False economy! :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pound shops never really are a bargain as you end up buying again, I bought some earphones lasted a week.
  • Options
    MonsterMunch99MonsterMunch99 Posts: 2,475
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's better to be a poundstretcher customer, then work there. Believe me....

I worked in Poundies as a 16 year old, earning a frankly-taking-the-piss £1.94 an hour going up to £2.40 when I turned 17. No idea how I lasted as long as I did before going to university.

It was f*cking horrendous.
  • Options
    Duffman2000Duffman2000 Posts: 1,372
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well we had an area manager turn up one evening at 6pm he stood there and basically said " we are all letting our manager down he had her in tears".

We had 4 aisles and an assortment of clothing aisles we couldn't stack shelves, work the till and be security guards but he wouldn't have it we suggested cctv - too expensive, turnstiles - too dangerous if people needed to get out in an emergency, security guard - not needed what staff were for.

No matter what we said we couldn't make him understand that 4 or 5 people can not cover everything, we actually had thieves who smiled at us when they left.

I wouldn't have hesitated to chase the shoplifters if necessary.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wouldn't have hesitated to chase the shoplifters if necessary.

Not allowed to plus they knew that the police didn't turn up as when we used to ring them they would issue a crime number but not send anyone.

The only way we could deal with it was to stop them getting in it was a cat and mouse game you would stand on the door and watch them hover outside waiting for you to be called away.

A lot of the stolen items were taken in prams and sold in the council estate behind the shop from the houses.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The most demoralised staff I have ever come across are Pound Stretcher ones.

For the last 4-5 years, the ones in my local have been convinced they are about to be shut down.

And I have no idea why they havent been closed down!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not allowed to plus they knew that the police didn't turn up as when we used to ring them they would issue a crime number but not send anyone.

The only way we could deal with it was to stop them getting in it was a cat and mouse game you would stand on the door and watch them hover outside waiting for you to be called away.

A lot of the stolen items were taken in prams and sold in the council estate behind the shop from the houses.

But what if they pushed past you at the door?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But what if they pushed past you at the door?

They didn't they were quite smart did it for a living they used to sneak in because if they were seen they were followed around.

Poundstretcher staff always think it's going to shut because it changes hands so much we were the same after I left rebranded to Instore then Poundstretcher Home & Garden before returning to Poundstretcher.
  • Options
    cris182cris182 Posts: 9,595
    Forum Member
    He left early.

I can't be the only one, who think these signs have a potential for offense?

Has anyone ever called their toilets, the poo room?

Why not go the whole hog and knock up signs that say 'the crapper', and 'the shit house'?

Isn't it all the same?

Who would be offended, You don't have to buy them....It's not like they are using offensive wording
  • Options
    AnnieBakerAnnieBaker Posts: 4,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So has anyone bought one yet?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They didn't they were quite smart did it for a living they used to sneak in because if they were seen they were followed around.

Poundstretcher staff always think it's going to shut because it changes hands so much we were the same after I left rebranded to Instore then Poundstretcher Home & Garden before returning to Poundstretcher.
    The one nearest to me is a shadow of its former self since it rebranded to instore. :( It has since gone back to Poundstretcher, and has been extended, but still quite crap since it changed in late 2007....
  • Options
    D_Mcd4D_Mcd4 Posts: 10,438
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    AnnieBaker wrote: »

Yes, that is my wife's Christmas present sorted.

:o:D
  • Options
    jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member

One day somebody will hopefully steal stuff from them and then they may think differently. But there again a lot of people don't give a shit these days and are just free loading scum. I see it all the time.

People like that should have their legs broken. Honestly. Sub human scum.
    We rented a house once in Sarasota Fl. which had a printed sign suspended from the deck roof next to the pool.
    It said OOL, you'll notice there is no P in our pool, please keep it that way.

I saw this on a house the other day. Words to this effect.

'To all cold callers. Beware of the cat. He has an attitude problem and very bad wind. You have been warned.'
    Male and female underwear, I remember one tubby woman age mid 40's bought 5 boxes and some body paint boy did I have fun serving her on the till, a comment here a comment there. :-D

That generally tends to piss people off though.
  • Options
    80sfan80sfan Posts: 18,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I loved it except the management at the time were so incompetent they were losing £4000 worth of clothes a quarter from thieves.

When you consider the average price of an item in Pounstretcher, that is a LOT being stolen >:(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    AnnieBaker wrote: »

I might pop in to my local branch tomorrow when I'm in town and see if they are in stock ;-)

If I'm feeling cheeky I may ask a staff member where I can find 'The Poo Room'!! :D:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    80sfan wrote: »
    When you consider the average price of an item in Pounstretcher, that is a LOT being stolen >:(

Clothes were not necessarily cheap as some items of course and imagine they sometimes were picking up handfuls and handfuls of items in the hidden corners of the shop and stuffing them in shoulder bags and prams.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 503
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd buy it :)

me too.

in my uni house the downstairs loo was the "poo loo". That sign would have been perfect!!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I once had a bloke come to the till with a packet of sweets the label said 94p the till charged him 95p, well the fuss he caused insisted on seeing a manager, wanted a full refund kept saying "well if you sell 1000 of those" etc.

I happily gave him the 1p but he would not accept it.

But had he gone to the till & said 'Its 94p but can I pay you 93p', your computer system / management / staff would have gone into meltdown
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But had he gone to the till & said 'Its 94p but can I pay you 93p', your computer system / management / staff would have gone into meltdown

No they wouldn't. Lots of kids these days say 'keep the change'. And we don't have a charity box, so any spare change goes straight into the till.

So, often there's a tiny surplus in the float. So we can sometimes let people of with a penny or two. Other times, management have put their hands in their pockets too....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Have you had many customers buying these 'Poo' signs yet Fairyprincess? I'm curious! :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    80sfan wrote: »
    Have you had many customers buying these 'Poo' signs yet Fairyprincess? I'm curious! :D

Today's a day off. I'm hoping there won't be a 'poo' on the shelves when I get back....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You do realise some smart alec is going to do one under that sign.
  • Options
    CaxtonCaxton Posts: 28,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shops and supermarkets are full of ornamental tacky crud that serves no real useful purpose, among them Wooden-type cut-out signs that depict "Love", "Welcome", "Bath", "Home", etc. Plastic garden gnomes, windmills and other ornamental crud are other items that serve no useful purpose.

We then hear that people are feeling the pinch, short of money, cannot pay bills, etc., yet shops are full of this crud, it must sell well as the shops would not stock them. The people you see buying this rubbish are not the rich but those always moaning about their lot in life and pleading poverty.