Are the BBC "moderating" website comments to suit themselves?

2»

Comments

• mikwmikw Posts: 48,715
    Forum Member
    So, what have we learnt?

That DS is more draconian in moderating than the BBC is!:)

Mods, please note the use of the "smilie":)

(oh dear : that's me banned for life!)

Mods : That is another joke!:)
  • henderohendero Posts: 11,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mikw wrote: »
    I just said to a poster "you're always wrong anyway" -that was enough to get me a DS ban for a week.

I would imagine there was more to it than that.

You're always wrong anyway.
    Forum Member
    hendero wrote: »
    I would imagine there was more to it than that.

If you knew the poster concerned i don't think you'd say that!

Besides, i protested to the mods and he was banned also!
    You're always wrong anyway.

Says he who doesn't think that commercial TV does Free and bonus play adverts!:D

Good job i have a sense of humour otherwise i'd report you for that!:)
  • henderohendero Posts: 11,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Says he who doesn't think that commercial TV does Free and bonus play adverts!:D

You might want to go back and re-read what I posted. It was that during the shows which draw the bulk of the advertising revenue, ie the popular ones, the commercial channels don't have to give away many of those spots.
    Good job i have a sense of humour otherwise i'd report you for that!:)

Good thing! My own policy is I couldn't imagine reporting anyone to a website's forum monitor, no matter how much abuse was directed my way. Seems like going to the prefects at prep school if someone shot a rubber band at me in maths class.
  • lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    afx237vi wrote: »
    "Are considered likely to disrupt, provoke, attack or offend others".

Calling the main presenter of their F1 coverage arrogant, irritating, a fool and a schoolboy is quite likely to offend, no?

I am a moderate of a mailing list and comments like those tend to provoke a whole series of replies which can get more and more heated. It is easiest to stop the original message so it cuts down the work later.
  • JELLIES0JELLIES0 Posts: 6,709
    Forum Member
    I was banned from the Points of View website for criticising Sarah Kennedy. I certainly did not use any abuse. I merely pointed out a great list of her failings such as interrupting an enjoyable record (rare on her show) to say "Terry is wearing taupe this morning", etc etc It was completely factual and I was still banned.
    Anyway that was quite some time ago, Sarah Kennedy has departed and yet I still can't get back into the Points Of View forum. The BBC don't like criticism much. Just listen to Feedback on Radio 4 and every week you will hear one of their spokespersons repeating the same mantra "I'm very sorry but we're right and you're wrong " :mad:
    Forum Member
    hendero wrote: »
    You might want to go back and re-read what I posted. It was that during the shows which draw the bulk of the advertising revenue, ie the popular ones, the commercial channels don't have to give away many of those spots.

I understand exactly what you posted, they do it more often than you think, because programmes are made with big gaps for adverts, those gaps have to be filled even if not enough adverts have been sold.

Good thing! My own policy is I couldn't imagine reporting anyone to a website's forum monitor, no matter how much abuse was directed my way. Seems like going to the prefects at prep school if someone shot a rubber band at me in maths class.
    indeed,
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 804
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The answer to the title of this thread is "of course they are", and why not?

It's just the same as callers to a phone-in or texts sent to a radio or TV station. Just because you've sent it doesn't mean it will be used automatically, and if it is used it may be edited or the grammar tidied up to make it intelligible to the audience.

It's just what newspapers have been doing with their letters columns for years. They edit the letters and often only print part of them.

The only reason for complaint is if you could genuinely prove that your views had been misrepresented.
  • carl.waringcarl.waring Posts: 35,579
    Forum Member
    Radio Vet wrote: »
    The answer to the title of this thread is "of course they are"...
    You'll have proof then. Let's see it.
  • TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't know why anyone would use BBC forums.

They seem like the letters page of a free newspaper.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Here's the main part of a Points of View from 1985 (which is an enjoyable watch generally):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQgPgi0n9rY

Oh my - Nostalgia Alert with that theme tune!!!!! Also, 'Feeling A Little Old' Alert too!