Options

Any DLNA media player plans?

CuBz90CuBz90 Posts: 4,013
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Do Sky have any plans to add DLNA Media Player functionality? I currently use my Xbox 360 downstairs and Ps3 upstairs both mainly as DLNA media players, enabling me to watch videos, listen to music and view photos that are stored on my pc on any TV in my home.
It would be great if sky could do this as AFAIK it is possible on their Sky+HD boxes.

Comments

• Options
    MarkyMarky Posts: 628
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why would they do that, when they can charge you £10 for multiroom, and when planner sharing launches, you can watch things on either box, it makes no sense for Sky to launch that technology, unless there is a way they can charge for it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think you misunderstood. I meant a function enabling us to stream videos/music from our computers to our Sky boxes.
  • Options
    Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,522
    Forum Member
    CuBz90 wrote: »
    I think you misunderstood. I meant a function enabling us to stream videos/music from our computers to our Sky boxes.

Same answer - why should they?.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I never said they should. I was simply asking if they plan to do so.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 133
    Forum Member

why wouldn't they.
    you can only flog a horse so many times.
    the sky system has gone as far as it can on this platform.
    sky go is streaming isn't it.
  • Options
    sodafountainsodafountain Posts: 16,863
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    spudmorley wrote: »
    why wouldn't they.
    you can only flog a horse so many times.
    the sky system has gone as far as it can on this platform.
    sky go is streaming isn't it.

Yes, Sky Go is streaming, but it is streaming of Sky channels and content, it does not allow streaming of your own files, so hardly a comparison to what the OP asked.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, Sky Go is streaming, but it is streaming of Sky channels and content, it does not allow streaming of your own files, so hardly a comparison to what the OP asked.

Well maybe they could add it and like the Sky+ functionality, only enable it for paying Sky customers. That way it's another feature that makes Sky more appealing to those that could make use of it.

Anyway, I asked of there was any plans to implement it. I didn't ask if anyone thinks they should have it.
  • Options
    Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,522
    Forum Member
    Anyway, I asked of there was any plans to implement it. I didn't ask if anyone thinks they should have it.

No one replied to 'should they have it', only to 'is there a hope in hell that they will' - where the answer is NO.

It would Sky millions, assuming the boxes even have the spare capacity for adding such features (which seems likely), and would gain them nothing.

As you've already got two devices to do this, why should Sky waste their money and resources on giving you a third? - there's lot's more things they would be better off adding.
  • Options
    sodafountainsodafountain Posts: 16,863
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well maybe they could add it and like the Sky+ functionality, only enable it for paying Sky customers. That way it's another feature that makes Sky more appealing to those that could make use of it.

My post was to spudmorley (that's why I quoted his message - that's how forums work), who mentioned Sky already did streaming with Sky Go, I pointed out this was only for Sky content, not user content, I was not answering your question about whether they would or would not.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fair point. Thanks for the replies.