Has there ever been any major gameshow disasters in the UK?

FundamentalFundamental Posts: 27
Forum Member
Like anything collapsing or malfunctioning or a fire starting for example? :D

Comments

• degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
  • Mumof3Mumof3 Posts: 4,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Deleted, already covered ^.
  • ktla5ktla5 Posts: 1,683
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    'Golden shot' 'live' shows were abandoned, and ended up being recorded after a bomb threat on one show.
  • Glyn WGlyn W Posts: 5,819
    Forum Member
    ktla5 wrote: »
    'Golden shot' 'live' shows were abandoned, and ended up being recorded after a bomb threat on one show.

That would have been quite some feat, seeing as the first round depended upon people directing a blindfolded shooter over the phone via a picture that had to be broadcast live...!

So it's rubbish, I'm afraid.
  • spaniel-loverspaniel-lover Posts: 4,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »

That's the only one I can think of.
  • Z StardustZ Stardust Posts: 430
    Forum Member
    I vaguely recall someone like Anneka Rice or Sarah Greene or someone(?) doing a live piece to camera and there was a motorcyclist jumping through a ring of fire or something like that but went out of control and veered towards the camera and the presenter. Sorry can't remember exact details. Anyone?
    Forum Member
    Obviously not a major disaster like a death, though.
  • intoxicationintoxication Posts: 7,059
    Forum Member
    Z Stardust wrote: »
    I vaguely recall someone like Anneka Rice or Sarah Greene or someone(?) doing a live piece to camera and there was a motorcyclist jumping through a ring of fire or something like that but went out of control and veered towards the camera and the presenter. Sorry can't remember exact details. Anyone?

It was Anthea Turner, I believe. I saw it on Greatest /TV cock ups or something like that. She was sitting on the back of this van thing and then the motorcyclist went the wrong way and there was a bang and she fell off the van... I can't explain it properly I'll try and find a link...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQo6t9vcZYc
  • HMOHMO Posts: 42,132
    Forum Member
    What about ratings disasters? Lots to choose from there :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 79
    Forum Member
    There was this accident on a game show.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Late,_Late_Breakfast_Show
  • Ted MurrayTed Murray Posts: 89
    Forum Member
    I remember years ago that all the stuff that someone won on a game show got nicked when someone burgled the winner's house. I suppose that's a bit of a disaster.
  • ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I seem to remember Eamonn Holmes presided over a quiz show on US TV which was actually cancelled before the end of its first week it was so bad:eek:
  • LW09LW09 Posts: 3,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was Anthea Turner, I believe. I saw it on Greatest /TV cock ups or something like that. She was sitting on the back of this van thing and then the motorcyclist went the wrong way and there was a bang and she fell off the van... I can't explain it properly I'll try and find a link...

I read that the motorcyclist didn't do anything wrong, it was the BBC's fault for the director ignoring health and safety restrictions and just let her sit there anyway. She was left scarred and had either full vision or hearing loss for a while, I can't remember which.
  • DemizdeeroolzDemizdeeroolz Posts: 3,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That time on the old Family Fortunes in the big money section, the bloke said turkey for 3 answers. Real blast from the past presented by Max Bygraves.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHiGT_odU2Y
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,012
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think once on Noels House Party some woman was going to be gunged and the gunge failed to materialise.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,584
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That time on the old Family Fortunes in the big money section, the bloke said turkey for 3 answers. Real blast from the past presented by Max Bygraves.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHiGT_odU2Y

It wasn't just at the big money section it was hilarious from the start, that episode which Bygraves described at the end as the funniest show he'd ever done. There was the question to the same guy with the turkey fixation in the first half who answered to 'Name a famous Irishman' with 'Shughie McFee' MB told him at the end to back and join his family in the asylum. His fellow members looked fit to be tied at the humilation.
  • DemizdeeroolzDemizdeeroolz Posts: 3,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It wasn't just at the big money section it was hilarious from the start, that episode which Bygraves described at the end as the funniest show he'd ever done. There was the question to the same guy with the turkey fixation in the first half who answered to 'Name a famous Irishman' with 'Shughie McFee' MB told him at the end to back and join his family in the asylum. His fellow members looked fit to be tied at the humilation.

Thanks, all I remember is the turkey part so i'll have to look up the full episode.
  • ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,603
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "Its a Royal Knockout" was pretty disasterous for Prince Edwards' TV ambitions:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A contestant died in an accident on a programme once. His name was Michael Lush.
  • intoxicationintoxication Posts: 7,059
    Forum Member
    LW09 wrote: »
    I read that the motorcyclist didn't do anything wrong, it was the BBC's fault for the director ignoring health and safety restrictions and just let her sit there anyway. She was left scarred and had either full vision or hearing loss for a while, I can't remember which.

A comment on the video said the director/production changed something at the last minute and when they gave the cue for her to start talking, the motorcyclist mistook it for his cue and went early. Either way if either of these versions are true it is the fault of the BBC/production not the guy on the motorbike
  • Pink KnightPink Knight Posts: 24,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Red or Black ?
  • Object ZObject Z Posts: 1,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A contestant died in an accident on a programme once. His name was Michael Lush.

Noel Edmonds Late Late Breakfast Show I believe.
    Something to do with a bunjie rope and not following BBC H&S.

See post 12
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    or post 2 ;)
    Forum Member

Thanks. That's kind of the one I'm thinking of but there was another incident and I've kind of melded them together in my memory. The other one, might have been a car went out of control and the presenter just noticed it careering towards them at the last seconds and ended up gettting thrown up on the bonnet?