2014 - The year of Leona?

Comments

• Options
    Dave0893Dave0893 Posts: 13,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes
    Zack06 wrote: »
    Syco are ridiculously stupid when it comes to Leona. Wrong singles, rejecting hits and botched promo campaigns.

Leona could easily find US success again if she called up Drake, Kendrick, Miguel, Justin Timberlake etc. and offered to sing some hooks for them. It would easily propel her back to fame if even just one collaboration became a hit and would gain her a new fanbase.

Personally I think Leona doesn't really want the fame, she's just happy as she is, I've never really got the "ambitious" vibe from her, but then she was at one point the biggest UK star in the world, so if she didn't like how that went then I don't blame her for not wanting it again. It's her life after all.

I think she'll do decently in 2014 provided Syco doesn't wait until October to premiere the first single of her next album. I don't think she'll find huge success again unless some changes are made.

I know what you mean, but I don't think it is as easy as Leona just picking up the phone.

I still don't understand why she hasn't been doing features, I really hope they can get her on some songs next year, especially if she is going to be away for a while recording.
  • Options
    d56d56 Posts: 5,471
    Forum Member
    Yes
    Syco are ridiculously stupid when it comes to Leona. Wrong singles, rejecting hits and botched promo campaigns.

Leona could easily find US success again if she called up Drake, Kendrick, Miguel, Justin Timberlake etc. and offered to sing some hooks for them. It would easily propel her back to fame if even just one collaboration became a hit and would gain her a new fanbase.

Personally I think Leona doesn't really want the fame, she's just happy as she is, I've never really got the "ambitious" vibe from her, but then she was at one point the biggest UK star in the world, so if she didn't like how that went then I don't blame her for not wanting it again. It's her life after all.

I think she'll do decently in 2014 provided Syco doesn't wait until October to premiere the first single of her next album. I don't think she'll find huge success again unless some changes are made.

Changes have been made though. She's changed management & they're a thousands better than Modest. I also think it's great how radio have supported her. Capital, Radio 1 & Radio 2 have all been playing the song. A-List on Radio 2 and Capital have had it on loop. She's in such a stronger position than she was this time last year.
  • Options
    SquatchSquatch Posts: 781
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I didn't vote in the poll because I really don't know.

They made mistakes from the start. Spirit was mega-hyped but it was a weak album. They ignored Take A Bow and one or two other good tracks that should have been singles.

They need to realise that Leona won for her voice. If she sings ballads, it must have a pleasant melody and there must be vocal fireworks. Her fans never wanted "boring". Leona also needs to stop with those irritating vocal quirks, such as singing really low and quietly, and that annoying wobble, in almost every song.
  • Options
    Zack06Zack06 Posts: 28,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dave0893 wrote: »
    I know what you mean, but I don't think it is as easy as Leona just picking up the phone.

I still don't understand why she hasn't been doing features, I really hope they can get her on some songs next year, especially if she is going to be away for a while recording.

It would have been very easy for her to do in 2008, and still would to an extent. Her vocals are distinctive and would sound brilliant on features.

Syco isn't big on features for some reason though. None of their acts tend to feature on other records much.
  • Options
    Zack06Zack06 Posts: 28,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    d56 wrote: »
    Changes have been made though. She's changed management & they're a thousands better than Modest. I also think it's great how radio have supported her. Capital, Radio 1 & Radio 2 have all been playing the song. A-List on Radio 2 and Capital have had it on loop. She's in such a stronger position than she was this time last year.

I meant more significant change than that. Leona would have to change her attitude, she can't just go missing for 9 months and then resurface expecting things to be the same. Her new management has been a great step, but I don't think it's enough.
  • Options
    Dave0893Dave0893 Posts: 13,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes
    I meant more significant change than that. Leona would have to change her attitude, she can't just go missing for 9 months and then resurface expecting things to be the same. Her new management has been a great step, but I don't think it's enough.

I really hope she won't be gone for months or years this time and I don't think she will be, she has admitted to having songs already recorded for the next album and is back in the studio in January.

So she isn't taking much of a break at all, which I thought she would after such a busy year, where she completed a tour with Art On Ice, her solo tour, recording the Christmas album, filmed a movie and promoted the Xmas album in the UK, Germany and America makes me think they are aiming to get something out as soon as possible.
  • Options
    NicoleRichNicoleRich Posts: 2,107
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No
    Nope, she sold moderately well because it was a Christmas album.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 571
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No
    This whole trying to force Leona on people and the constant trying to make us think she's going to be successful again with an original album is getting beyond.

Realistically I can't ever see her scoring a huge album again. Single's wise she might have the odd top 3 but that's beyond it.

Her album has done dismally in the US. Then again knowing how untruthful Leona is she's probably describe her US performance as "incredible".
  • Options
    Maxine_RochMaxine_Roch Posts: 5,193
    Forum Member
    No
    Lool her fans are getting to excited because she's had one hit in a few years .
  • Options
    MarcusjllMarcusjll Posts: 1,161
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No

I don't understand comments like this! Why waste your time when you could be commenting on someone you like?! The world would be a much better place if everyone thought like that. It must be like a creepy obsession or something ;D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    No
    Marcusjll wrote: »
    I don't understand comments like this! Why waste your time when you could be commenting on someone you like?! The world would be a much better place if everyone thought like that. It must be like a creepy obsession or something ;D
    Defensive much and I actually do like Leona but I'm just being honest she's not had a real proper hit in years .
  • Options
    vagbreathvagbreath Posts: 1,215
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No
    d56 wrote: »
    Ohhhh the ignorance. Anyone is just one song away from a hit. Leona's new management are brilliant so I'm confident in her future. *plays One More Sleep*

Oh gosh yeah I forgot she got a top 3 single! My bad
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,899
    Forum Member
    Yes

So if you like Leona as you replied to someone a few posts earlier, would that be the best thing to say about someone you like?
    That sounds more like a mockery than a normal post.
  • Options
    Big Boy BarryBig Boy Barry Posts: 35,391
    Forum Member
    Good lord, I hope not.
  • Options
    CoreenBaconskinCoreenBaconskin Posts: 596
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I really liked Trouble and Glassheart by Leona. I'd be converted into a fan if she carried on down that path - even if no one else did!
  • Options
    konebyvaxkonebyvax Posts: 9,120
    Forum Member
    The Xmas album was the last roll of a desperate dice. The single has done OK of course. The album really hasn't and it's Xmas. Tells you all you need to know about where she's going in 2014. Plus she really really doesn't seem at all bothered about putting the effort in.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,899
    Forum Member
    Yes
    konebyvax wrote: »
    The Xmas album was the last roll of a desperate dice. The single has done OK of course. The album really hasn't and it's Xmas. Tells you all you need to know about where she's going in 2014. Plus she really really doesn't seem at all bothered about putting the effort in.

I'm sorry but what drivel. The album has done well and has been selling a lot. She also has been putting effort in by promoting the album and going on different shows eg. Graham Norton etc. and performing it.
    She now has a new management and they are doing extremely well at promoting her.
  • Options
    BrokenArrowBrokenArrow Posts: 21,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    konebyvax wrote: »

The album has sold better than Miley Cyrus's.

I guess Miley is just all washed up.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    No
    Ramo1234 wrote: »
    So if you like Leona as you replied to someone a few posts earlier, would that be the best thing to say about someone you like?
    That sounds more like a mockery than a normal post.
    Like I said I do like Leona I'm just not a deluded fan her last proper hit before One More Sleep that had any longevity was Run .
  • Options
    TributeTribute Posts: 820
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No
    Unexpected success of the single, and dismal failure of the album!
  • Options
    MicrokorgMicrokorg Posts: 2,670
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No
    Blandness personified
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are this many leona threads really necessary! I'm a fan of hers but really clogging up the music forum with threads about her isn't going to make people like or care about her. Some of the fans from the appreciation thread are just too much. It's obsessive! If you go on the appreciation thread and say anything negative they pounce on you and they do the same in these threads too. Everyone's a hater and blah blah... If you don't want to keep hearing negative things about her then stop with the constant threads about will she be successful this year and surprise success of the Christmas single/album. It's only successful in terms of her last few efforts in comparison to other artists at the moment it's nothing special what so ever...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 571
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No
    Are this many leona threads really necessary! I'm a fan of hers but really clogging up the music forum with threads about her isn't going to make people like or care about her. Some of the fans from the appreciation thread are just too much. It's obsessive! If you go on the appreciation thread and say anything negative they pounce on you and they do the same in these threads too. Everyone's a hater and blah blah... If you don't want to keep hearing negative things about her then stop with the constant threads about will she be successful this year and surprise success of the Christmas single/album. It's only successful in terms of her last few efforts in comparison to other artists at the moment it's nothing special what so ever...

THANK YOU!

...What's worse is how some of them start with personal hurtful insults if we say anything about Leona. Unfair. They're not really doing her any favours showing such nasty streaks. It'll most likely turn people off her.
  • Options
    joaniponijoaniponi Posts: 4,025
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes
    Attia_Ash wrote: »
    THANK YOU!

...What's worse is how some of them start with personal hurtful insults if we say anything about Leona. Unfair. They're not really doing her any favours showing such nasty streaks. It'll most likely turn people off her.

What I love about Leona fans is their sense of fun and generous natures: proximity to the love object. You are responding to a sad Mariah fan who is miserable because Mariah lost a good voice. Oh well, share the love:)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    joaniponi wrote: »
    What I love about Leona fans is their sense of fun and generous natures: proximity to the love object. You are responding to a sad Mariah fan who is miserable because Mariah lost a good voice. Oh well, share the love:)

This is exactly the type of person I was speaking about. The appreciation thread fans. And whatever. A sad mariah fan... okay great :) im a fan of many artists leona included im just not a blind fan who thinks Leona farts rainbows.