Options

Caroline North RSL

Comments

• Options
    bigd558bigd558 Posts: 215
    Forum Member
    As it says on the Caroline North website

"The station shall be playing a wide selection of music of music from when Caroline started in 1964 and also including music from the 70s and 80s to the wide audience profile. Three decades of great music is what you will hear".

Pointer Sisters and Prince tracks are both from 1984
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 61
    Forum Member
    Enda Caldwell ! LOL
  • Options
    Condor7Condor7 Posts: 424
    Forum Member
    Adverts, Sky news, and Dj's from 9am this morning.
    Sounding good so far. :)
  • Options
    InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Now streaming in glorious 56kbps mono. I'm sure it was in stereo yesterday.
  • Options
    darnall42darnall42 Posts: 4,080
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    not overly impressed so far - sounds like a poor community radio station ;)
  • Options
    MrRayDOMrRayDO Posts: 1,144
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    its ok . just sounds like any other RSL station .
  • Options
    William128William128 Posts: 1,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Patchy reception in south Liverpool - while I've been driving about.

Some friends have visited the London Carolines stream/s - and site this morning, and come back with the comments of "this isn't what it sounded like in the 60s"! They have tuned back into the Liverpool Caroline! :D
  • Options
    LaurelandHardyLaurelandHardy Posts: 3,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    William128 wrote: »
    Some friends have visited the London Carolines stream/s - and site this morning, and come back with the comments of "this isn't what it sounded like in the 60s"! They have tuned back into the Liverpool Caroline! :D

Well like it or not, Radio Caroline changed its format in the 1970s. But when a certain generation talk about Caroline they remember the pop music station of the 60s...something that it hasn't been for a long time.
    I had a funny feeling that a lot of people would tune in to the official Radio Caroline having heard the Liverpool station and would be very disappointed with what they hear.
    Incidentally, I am listening to Caroline North right now and I like what I hear. Much better than what the official Radio Caroline is sounding like.
  • Options
    AndradAndrad Posts: 81
    Forum Member
    Radio 1 doesn`t sound like it did in the 60`s.
  • Options
    AndradAndrad Posts: 81
    Forum Member
    Glad that RCN got it together in the end. Good luck to them.
  • Options
    AmaraAmara Posts: 5,376
    Forum Member
    Only able to listen online here in Norfolk but nice to hear live programmes at last. Good luck to John & his team.
  • Options
    oscar1oscar1 Posts: 5,081
    Forum Member
    Andrad wrote: »
    Radio 1 doesn`t sound like it did in the 60`s.

maybe that is why there have lost so many listeners.

This is like a breath of fresh air and must strengthen the case for a permanent UK WIDE frequency.
    Great guys --- shame it is only going to last a month.
    Regards
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well like it or not, Radio Caroline changed its format in the 1970s. But when a certain generation talk about Caroline they remember the pop music station of the 60s...something that it hasn't been for a long time.
    I had a funny feeling that a lot of people would tune in to the official Radio Caroline having heard the Liverpool station and would be very disappointed with what they hear.
    Incidentally, I am listening to Caroline North right now and I like what I hear. Much better than what the official Radio Caroline is sounding like.

ride on 100%
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Patchy reception in south Liverpool - while I've been driving about.

you are right .
  • Options
    MikeBrMikeBr Posts: 7,905
    Forum Member
    MrRayDO wrote: »
    you are right .

Since the publicity last week Radio Caroline streaming hours have settled down to an increase of 10%. Sales of merchandise on the Mersey Planet will give Radio Caroline a boost in income.
  • Options
    dave1152dave1152 Posts: 240
    Forum Member
    What is the relationship between Caroline north and the Caroline on www.radiocaroline.co.uk?
  • Options
    William128William128 Posts: 1,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dave1152 wrote: »
    What is the relationship between Caroline north and the Caroline on www.radiocaroline.co.uk?

They are both online - tributes
  • Options
    Forum Member
    They are both online - tributes

I could have told you that.

to clarify is is the same organization
  • Options
    MikeBrMikeBr Posts: 7,905
    Forum Member

John Dwyer wanted to do an RSL, got permission to use the name and was happy to sell merchandise and mention radiocaroline.co.uk regularly on air. Albert Hood delivered the merchandise at the weekend and presumably the banner that's up on the ship.
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/thecrookedfoo/with/13588452684/

John also used to work for the offshore Caroline in the 80s as did Dave Collins.
  • Options
    AmaraAmara Posts: 5,376
    Forum Member

John Dwyer who is organising the Caroline North RSL was a deejay on the Ross Revenge in the 80's.

I am not sure that whether you like it or not it is fair to call Radio Caroline from Maidstone a tribute station. It maintains the last Caroline radio ship Ross Revenge and Peter Moore has managed the station since its offshore days in the 80's
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Caroline from Maidstone is the original, just in its latest phase.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 61
    Forum Member
    Caroline in Maidstone also uses a host of DJ's from the offshore days of the 70s and 80s.
    Definitely the real McCoy
  • Options
    oscar1oscar1 Posts: 5,081
    Forum Member
    I hope that, at the end of the month, it doen't become a "them and us" between the 2 Carolines.
    Something concrete towards a MW frequency must come from this ....
    Regards
  • Options
    JELLIES0JELLIES0 Posts: 6,709
    Forum Member
    Enda Caldwell was sounding pretty darned good this morning. A very pleasant 3 hours listening.

Wouldn't it be great if it could become a permanent station?
  • Options
    richie wildrichie wild Posts: 9,898
    Forum Member
    Been recording the first real day of transmissions, just in the pub having enjoyed the 60's show from Brian Cullen. Wonder who's up next to drown out the Quiz guy? :D