Options

F1 Coverage - The Verdict: 2014 Season

Comments

• Options
    kriZbiikriZbii Posts: 1,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Johnny Herbert's fanboyism with Hamilton is getting pretty unbearable, he refuses to let the Rosberg thing go and his comment in their drive around Monaco that Lewis seems calmer this season was particularly weird when Hamilton has been complaining about every little thing and seems completely paranoid that people are out to get him.

Maybe Sky are just being extra nice to him because they're worried that he'll take his ball home and stop talking to them, but the race build-up was too much of a Hamilton love-in from Simon and Johnny.
  • Options
    JSemple3JSemple3 Posts: 8,652
    Forum Member
    Anthony Davidson working the pits today during the race
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 22,383
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What the heck is Crofty on about here? Hamilton's catching Rosberg but Rosberg was faster on that lap but the gap has been constant at 0.8 pretty much continuously?
  • Options
    patpendingpatpending Posts: 1,621
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lettice wrote: »
    Great pitwalk from Martin today on a manic packed grid.
    Great chats from Thierry Boutsen, Jackie Ickx, Alain Prost, Niki Lauda, Derek Warwick and Captain Picard.
    Out of those, Kai Ebel only found Captain Picard, though Benedict Cumberbatch is clearly quite knowledgeable.

Toto Wolff at Mercedes was good value:

"So do you have to play referee between Lewis's and Nico's teams?"

"No, they get on really well!".

"Really?"

[thinking hard for ages] "No"

Waiting outside the ladies' with a rolling camera for drivers like Hülkenberg could surprise quite a few women!
  • Options
    eladkseeladkse Posts: 1,948
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cumberbatch for a second time doing the interviews.

Also, why have all the cameras suddenly gone yellow?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RTL missed the beginning of the trophy ceremony because Kai (in an incredibly bright shirt) was talking to Rosberg's girlfriend about why Nico had fallen out of bed... but they are very unimpressed with Hamilton...

Kai Ebel: "How do you deal with this? There's a bit of rivalry between Nico and Lewis...?"
    Dieter Zetsche (CEO Mercedes): Forget "a bit" - it's "a lot"
  • Options
    EchtiEchti Posts: 435
    Forum Member
    eladkse wrote: »

Looks like they switched to FOM cameras for the interviews.
  • Options
    stefmeisterstefmeister Posts: 8,397
    Forum Member
    OnBoard-Mix was a bit poor today.

Stuck with the forward shot on Rosberg for a long time when nobody was ahead of him & did the same with Bianchi for most of the mid-part of the race again when nobody was ahead of him.

TV Monte-Carlo/VCF didn't do too bad a job, Although it was irritating that they kept going back to Rosberg/Lewis when the gap wasn't changing & staying at around 1+ seconds when there was some closer racing/overtaking going on a bit further back (Sutil early on for instance).
  • Options
    Aaron_ScotlandAaron_Scotland Posts: 8,487
    Forum Member
    eladkse wrote: »

Looked like a couple had their white balance wrong, Noticed it too!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know Pinkham gets a lot of criticism, personally I don't like how she presents the F1 Show, but I've got to say I think her questioning of Hamilton today and yesterday was really good. Credit where it's due.
  • Options
    hobnob_monsterhobnob_monster Posts: 2,163
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shame BT aren't used Keith to present the 500 coverage. At least they've got Mowlem there.

EDIT: did the presenter just pronounce Penske "pensk"? Not impressed with the idea of having a "Twitter expert" in the studio either... No time for that.
  • Options
    D.M.N.D.M.N. Posts: 34,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shame BT aren't used Keith to present the 500 coverage. At least they've got Mowlem there.

EDIT: did the presenter just pronounce Penske "pensk"? Not impressed with the idea of having a "Twitter expert" in the studio either... No time for that.

Presenter is Abi Griffiths who presents Motorsport Tonight - https://twitter.com/abigriffiths1

And the 'Twitter expert' is Keith Collantine, who runs F1 Fanatic - https://twitter.com/keithcollantine
  • Options
    FOMFanFOMFan Posts: 5,467
    Forum Member
    D.M.N. wrote: »
    Presenter is Abi Griffiths who presents Motorsport Tonight - https://twitter.com/abigriffiths1

And the 'Twitter expert' is Keith Collantine, who runs F1 Fanatic - https://twitter.com/keithcollantine
    This may be controversial, I don't know, but I'm not a fan of Keith. I dislike his style of journalism, he's bit of a moaner tbh. I mean it's OK to criticise stuff every now and then when there's genuine concern, but he just takes it too far each time IMO.
  • Options
    Jules 1Jules 1 Posts: 2,543
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kriZbii wrote: »
    Johnny Herbert's fanboyism with Hamilton is getting pretty unbearable, he refuses to let the Rosberg thing go and his comment in their drive around Monaco that Lewis seems calmer this season was particularly weird when Hamilton has been complaining about every little thing and seems completely paranoid that people are out to get him.

Maybe Sky are just being extra nice to him because they're worried that he'll take his ball home and stop talking to them, but the race build-up was too much of a Hamilton love-in from Simon and Johnny.

Maybe he is right about the Rosberg thing though, in this case there two sides to it, and it is right to show mention both of them.

Didn't seem the best of races today, it always seemed likely that Rosberg would win, almost impossible to pass, if the car in front is not compliant/ doesn't make an error.

Great for the Championship battle going forward though.

The story of the day for me was Bianchi getting some points for Marussia.
  • Options
    k0213818k0213818 Posts: 5,916
    Forum Member
    I'm going to take back a lot of bad that I've said about Suzi after seeing Abi on the 500 coverage, very tedious and unprofessional.

Kats been great though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    BTS should just switch to the abc pre-race coverage, There showing some good features apparently.

I also hope that there not going to go to do what Sky used to do & constantly cut to the studio coverage throughout the race.
  • Options
    DanielFDanielF Posts: 2,006
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I also hope that there not going to go to do what Sky used to do & constantly cut to the studio coverage throughout the race.

I'd rather they did that than constantly go to breaks, no matter how dire this presenter is!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    DanielF wrote: »
    I'd rather they did that than constantly go to breaks, no matter how dire this presenter is!
    There's no need to go to Ad-Breaks as abc keep the feed running as normal even while there on Ads, Just with no commentary playing.

What Sky started doing the last few years they had coverage was kept the video playing from the track but as there was no commentary they just switched the audio to there studio.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Very amateurish mistakes from BT as well, missing 'Back Home Again In Indiana' for one thing.
  • Options
    alexj2002alexj2002 Posts: 3,930
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's no need to go to Ad-Breaks as abc keep the feed running as normal even while there on Ads, Just with no commentary playing.

What Sky started doing the last few years they had coverage was kept the video playing from the track but as there was no commentary they just switched the audio to there studio.

Yeah, although the feed does become very basic coverage while the US are on commercials. Still makes sense to stay on the action and cover it with a "Voice of..." caption for the guys in the studio rather than showing some heads. ITV did some PiP of their guys in the studio during the intervals in the Champions League football last night, and it looked quite messy, so hopefully they won't try that.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    The worst build up I have ever seen for sport
    Why on earth did they leave and make a threesome with the two girls and the guy in the chair, odd.

Nice we have the espn commentary.

edit: Oh no they are doing ad breaks and now back to studio.
  • Options
    RedSnapperRedSnapper Posts: 2,569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lettice wrote: »
    Why on earth did they leave and make a threesome with the two girls and the guy in the chair,

Well they have to try and bring in more viewers somehow.......;-)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    And the ironic thing is that ABCs coverage has been the best for a while, Alan Bestwick is a vast improvement on Marty Reid.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jules 1 wrote: »
    The story of the day for me was Bianchi getting some points for Marussia.
    Epic story missed by the RTL commentators during the race on a par with Salo's 5th with no stop.

The BBC reported it!
  • Options
    gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,625
    Forum Member
    The BBC did have the commentators talking about the Button / Magnussen battle as if it were on screen although we were actually seeing the two Mercs at the time. Poor QC in the editing suite.
This discussion has been closed.