Options

DVD Decoder Needed!

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,486
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I have a Region 2 / Region-Free DVD player on my computer, but I need a Region 4 decoder to play a couple of Australian DVDs I've come into possession of. Can anyone point me to a website that will provide a free/cheap download to enable me to see these on my computer?

Comments

• Options
    max99max99 Posts: 9,002
    Forum Member
    The free VLC Player will do the job.

During the install, untick the relevant 'File Associations' if you don't want the program to become the default for opening things like MP3s and Audio CDs.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm afraid the download didn't work. this is what I got when I tried to play the DVD:
    Your input can't be opened:
    VLC is unable to open the MRL 'dvd://D:\'. Check the log for details.

Are there any other free downloads available?
  • Options
    DaedrothDaedroth Posts: 3,065
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • Options
    RoushRoush Posts: 4,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The problem here will be the drive. If it's set to region 2 then it won't read any other region DVD's regardless of which media player is used.

Normally you can change the drive's region a number of times before it locks to a region. Open Device Manager and open the drive's properties and there should be a tab for the DVD region setting.

Alternatively you could look online to see if there is any region free firmware for your drive. Get the model number of the drive from Device Manager and search for 'xxxxx region free firmware' and see what you get.

I found region free firmware for both my DVD drives on The Dangerous Brothers site.

Even then some DVD player software (Windows Media Player is a good example) will do its own region checking and refuse to play out-of-region discs. Other players, such as VLC for example, ignore the region code so will play discs from any region as long as the drive unlocks the disc.

There are software based solutions too, such as AnyDVD, that run in the background intercepting data from the DVD drive and altering or removing the DVD region code information and then passing it to Windows as normal.
  • Options
    newda898newda898 Posts: 5,466
    Forum Member
    Another alternative is to rip the DVD using DVD Decrypter (Look at wikipedia page for download locations).

And then play the ripped version off the hard drive using something like VLC.
  • Options
    frostfrost Posts: 4,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Katherine wrote: »
    I have a Region 2 / Region-Free DVD player on my computer, but I need a Region 4 decoder to play a couple of Australian DVDs I've come into possession of. Can anyone point me to a website that will provide a free/cheap download to enable me to see these on my computer?

Maybe I'm missing something, but if you have a region free player, why cant you just play the region 4 dvds on that?
  • Options
    chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    frost wrote: »
    Maybe I'm missing something, but if you have a region free player, why cant you just play the region 4 dvds on that?

I was wondering that myself. Unless the OP meant Region 0 not Region Free?
  • Options
    neo_walesneo_wales Posts: 13,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rip with free programme dvdshrink it will take out the region settings. burn to blank disk and watch on your computer or TV player.
  • Options
    RoushRoush Posts: 4,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chrisjr wrote: »
    I was wondering that myself. Unless the OP meant Region 0 not Region Free?

Yeah, that's what I took it to mean, as a drive clearly can't be region locked and region free at the same time.