JJ Abrams CONFIRMED to direct Star Wars

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,599
Forum Member
✭✭✭
http://www.thewrap.com/movies/article/jj-abrams-set-direct-next-star-wars-film-exclusive-74596

Part of me wishes it went to a more of an outsider director, as it is kind of a safe pair of hands. However I would rather it be with a safe pair of hands than someone like McG or Bay.

So goodbye Star Trek trilogy... hello Star Wars!

Comments

• BlurayBluray Posts: 661
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "An individual with knowledge of the production has told The Wrap"

So not exactly confirmed then.

It may well be true but I'll take it with a pinch of salt until an official press release from Disney.
  • MotthusMotthus Posts: 7,280
    Forum Member
    Yeah its just rumours at the moment untill its officially confirmed
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,488
    Forum Member
    I'm sure JJ Abrams has repeatedly said it is NOT him. I read somewhere that he was asked by Walt Disney but he didn't want to do both Trek and Wars and would rather watch Star Wars as a fan so turned the offer down.
  • PunksNotDeadPunksNotDead Posts: 21,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I read somewhere that he was asked by Walt Disney but he didn't want to do both Trek and Wars and would rather watch Star Wars as a fan so turned the offer down.

JJ was 4 Months old when Walt died? Looking forward to Episode VII just wonder how the fans will react as Star Trek & Star Wars fans don't tend to get on very well with each other! :D
    Forum Member
    JJ was 4 Months old when Walt died? I'm looking forward to it i just wonder how the fans will react as Star Trek & Star Wars fans don't tend to get on very well :D

I was referring to The Walt Disney Company :D and I very much doubt JJ Abrams would do it, seeing as he has a good working relationship with pretty much every studio but Disney, and presumably wants to continue working Trek...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 91
    Forum Member
    Is this fulfilling the prophecy of the one who will bring balance to the Sci-Fi genre? Uniting both Star Trek and Star Wars with copious quantities of lens flare?
  • Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I just hope he doesn't bring along Lindelof to write it...
  • lordo350lordo350 Posts: 3,633
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hmmmm interesting
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why is 'confirmed' ALWAYS IN BIG BLOCK CAPITALS LETTERS?
  • FizzbinFizzbin Posts: 36,827
    Forum Member
    I'm sure JJ Abrams has repeatedly said it is NOT him. I read somewhere that he was asked by Walt Disney but he didn't want to do both Trek and Wars and would rather watch Star Wars as a fan so turned the offer down.
    The prospect of twice the amount of lens flare he could get from the twin suns of Tattooine made him reconsider...
  • dee123dee123 Posts: 46,195
    Forum Member
    Let the lens flare be with you.
  • dee123dee123 Posts: 46,195
    Forum Member

:eek: I hope he have a Ouija Board with him when he was asked!
  • tremetreme Posts: 5,445
    Forum Member
    Lens flare will destroy the new Super Dooper Death Star
    Forum Member
    Digital Spy are reporting it as fact, has it actually been announced yet or are they overblowing rumours and murmuring?

(EDIT: Disney's ABC News are still suggesting it's just rumours and not actual fact http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/wireStory/reports-jj-abrams-direct-star-wars-18307820 I'd be tempted to believe them over anyone else)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you follow the link in the OP which is the website that "broke the news", you'll read in the first few lines that this apparent confirmation comes from someone working close to the production.
    This is almost like a Sun report saying "an insider" said.......

It could quite well be true, but as i said earlier, i'll believe when Disney make the official announcement via a press conference/release.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So who is Simon Pegg going to play?
  • The TerminatorThe Terminator Posts: 5,312
    Forum Member
    I'm suspecting the media+celebrity reaction is treating it as fact because it may have been a bit of an open-secret in their business that this was likely to happen.
  • DarthchaffinchDarthchaffinch Posts: 7,558
    Forum Member
    Fizzbin wrote: »
    The prospect of twice the amount of lens flare he could get from the twin suns of Tattooine made him reconsider...

That made me laugh thanks! :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The amount of vitriol aimed at JJ Abrams on the net is shocking but funny at the same time.

Some people really do hate him don't they!
  • tremetreme Posts: 5,445
    Forum Member
    Let's hope Lindelof joins and writes a truly baffling script which deals with the origin of the Jedi, a quest to find the answers to the Force, and Jedi Knights doing stupid stuff like trying to befriend Rancors and other dangerous aliens.
  • PunksNotDeadPunksNotDead Posts: 21,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So who is Simon Pegg going to play?

He will be replacing Anthony Daniels as C3PO:)
  • balthasarbalthasar Posts: 2,824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    treme wrote: »
    Let's hope Lindelof joins and writes a truly baffling script which deals with the origin of the Jedi, a quest to find the answers to the Force, and Jedi Knights doing stupid stuff like trying to befriend Rancors and other dangerous aliens.
    The flare is strong in this one.
  • treefr0gtreefr0g Posts: 23,595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

lol :D

Brilliant
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member

Bravo sir :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,809
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    “There were the very early conversations and I quickly said that because of my loyalty to Star Trek, and also just being a fan, I wouldn’t even want to be involved in the next version of those things. I declined any involvement very early on. I’d rather be in the audience not knowing what was coming, rather than being involved in the minutiae of making them.”

— J.J. Abrams on being offered the role as directing Star Wars Episode VII, Empire magazine Feb 2013