Options

Would you emigrate if you had the chance and why.

Neil5234Neil5234 Posts: 1,515
Forum Member
✭✭✭
After living in oz for most of my life I am looking forward to the answers.

Comments

• Options
    johnathomejohnathome Posts: 1,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If i was rich enough never to work again then yes.

I'm fed up with the weather and i'd like a slower pace of life.
    I'd still have to be able to come back to Blighty a couple of times a year though.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I used to work overseas (not quite classed as 'emigrated' but I had residency papers) and loved it. Work brought me back here (due to the recession ex-patriot positions were culled somewhat) but luckily I still travel.

I would go again like a shot - money's good, standard of living is good, time off and weekends are like mini holidays because there are new things to see, and for some reason being away from "home" is less stressful even when doing the same job.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,383
    Forum Member
    Yes, Australia, tomorrow, wouldn't look back....
  • Options
    mountymounty Posts: 19,189
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    what is your definition of having the chance to emigrate? As anyone with a UK passport could go and live in another EU country if they wanted to
  • Options
    goldframedoorgoldframedoor Posts: 1,649
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LCDMAN wrote: »
    Yes, Australia, tomorrow, wouldn't look back....
    See ya then, bye bye! :p

Seriously though, these type of threads always make me feel like crying! :cry:
  • Options
    RiverMRiverM Posts: 1,323
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i'm happy in England but only cause the UK has some of my favourite pieces of totty in it
  • Options
    Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No I love the UK. If I won the Euro Lotto though, I'd buy a large yacht and spend a year or two travelling the world.
  • Options
    the ocelotthe ocelot Posts: 388
    Forum Member
    Would love to return to Australia again.

Can't stand Cameron, the weather, the liberal brigade, EDL, GCHQ spying on us all and it's impossible to earn a living because wages are frozen from five years ago. Britain is finished.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,704
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes I would. I did type out a long winded post to advise what sort of place would get us to leave Blighty, but decided to delete that element.

So yes, we absolutely would if given the right opportunity.
  • Options
    Phoenix LazarusPhoenix Lazarus Posts: 17,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If I had the money, I'd like two or three homes in America.

I'd still spend part of the time here, though.
  • Options
    Lil_MLil_M Posts: 2,105
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes I would. The UK is finished, and you can see. Potholes, taxes, eye watering bills, starvation, food banks, poverty, lack of infrastructure, lack of jobs, just at every level whether economically or socially, the UK has gone downhill. It is finished.

I am feeling the effects. Despite working, despite my university education, I am still not earning enough to even get food on my table.

I am somewhat swayed by the dreams of the East.
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't really know, to be honest. I think my area's okay, but living in New York, that could be quite a bit better. I don't really know.
  • Options
    asyousayasyousay Posts: 38,838
    Forum Member
    Yep , I would leave tomorrow if I could . I am only 26 and this country is a shit hole and it has nothing to offer me unless I get pregnant and have 5 kids by different fathers and the biggest factor is I am also white .
  • Options
    lucifer samlucifer sam Posts: 688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No. I do like the idea if living in a place where it snows like the blazes and you have to go everywhere on a sledge but I know I couldnt cope with it in reality.

I lived in Australia, very, very expensive to live. We struggled to make ends meet even on two wages. A friend has moved there and is more than likely having to move back to the uk because the cost of living is way too high.

I am happy here with my family about me.
  • Options
    kulmarkulmar Posts: 1,965
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't mind somewhere warm but still has to be a modern country,( good infrastructure no religious looneys) Australia looks nice and the people are so friendly.
  • Options
    Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    asyousay wrote: »
    Yep , I would leave tomorrow if I could . I am only 26 and this country is a shit hole and it has nothing to offer me unless I get pregnant and have 5 kids by different fathers and the biggest factor is I am also white .

Of course. White people have it so tough.
  • Options
    lucifer samlucifer sam Posts: 688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I dont think you missed anything apart from a picture of a carrot.
  • Options
    asyousayasyousay Posts: 38,838
    Forum Member
    Of course. White people have it so tough.

In this country we do , we are not the ones who can scream racism as soon as something does not please us .
  • Options
    Watcher #1Watcher #1 Posts: 9,053
    Forum Member
    No.

I like to visit other countries, but, while not perfect (nowhere is), I've never seen anywhere I'd rather live than Blighty
  • Options
    Sorcha_27Sorcha_27 Posts: 138,998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Probably america
  • Options
    Watcher #1Watcher #1 Posts: 9,053
    Forum Member
    In this country we do , we are not the ones who can scream racism as soon as something does not please us .

No, we scream 'PC gawn mad' or 'Elf & safety'. The mindlessly unoppressed have many battle cries
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I did, but alas it was TO England. Then again it was from Ireland, and as much as I miss my family & close friends and the greenery, I wouldn't live there again for the foreseeable if you paid me.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 457
    Forum Member
    I love it here (West Sussex), I spend a lot of time in other countries (because of my occupation). I am yet to come across a country that I'd rather live in other than the UK, although Sweden is up there.

I generally find that people that take issue with the UK either have "the victim" mentality, or have a rose-tinted view of the rest of the world.
  • Options
    Zizu58Zizu58 Posts: 3,658
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Neil5234 wrote: »
    After living in oz for most of my life I am looking forward to the answers.

I'd move tomorrow .

Reason - just look around you .
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,720
    Forum Member
    I can never fathom why everybody wants to live in Australia. It's basically England but with virtually no history and bristling with animals that want to kill you.