Options

What are the new HD channels lined up?

onecitizenonecitizen Posts: 5,042
Forum Member
I heard a radio advert for Freeview which said new HD channels are soon to be available on Freeview. Does anyone know what these channels will be and when will they start broadcasting?

Comments

• Options
    a516a516 Posts: 5,241
    Forum Member
    onecitizen wrote: »
    I heard a radio advert for Freeview which said new HD channels are soon to be available on Freeview. Does anyone know what these channels will be and when will they start broadcasting?
    If it's the love/hate football campaign promoting Freeview HD since 2nd June, they're referring to the new HD channels that are rolling out to 70% of the UK by mid June. (BBC Four HD, CBeebies HD, BBC News HD, Al Jazeera English HD, Community not-really-HD)
  • Options
    Colin_LondonColin_London Posts: 12,723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And I have a horrible feeling we won't be seeing any more than COM7 HD channels anytime soon. Arqiva appear to be being unsuccessful in attempts to rent the new capacity out - Community HD is effectively a charitable donation and the BBC will probably relinquish one slot next year when they reshuffle upon BBC Three closure in order to save money. COM8 is a receding prospect.

The recent Ofcom report into 700MHz stated that take up has been poor with channel providers preferring to keep their HD channels on pay TV - which is basically stating that Sky is winning in their campaign to subsidise channels to prevent them going FTV.

Of course Ofcom may be being biased as they would prefer to sell 700MHz to the mobile operators, but it doesn't sound promising.
  • Options
    kasgkasg Posts: 4,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    and the BBC will probably relinquish one slot next year when they reshuffle upon BBC Three closure in order to save money.
    They have already said that it will be replaced with BBC One +1, unless you are suggesting that this will be SD only.
  • Options
    mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And I have a horrible feeling we won't be seeing any more than COM7 HD channels anytime soon. Arqiva appear to be being unsuccessful in attempts to rent the new capacity out - Community HD is effectively a charitable donation and the BBC will probably relinquish one slot next year when they reshuffle upon BBC Three closure in order to save money.
    Or they might use it for BBC one HD +1 (to mirror its SD cvounterpart), especially as the broadcast hours of one of the kids channels changes as well.
    COM8 is a receding prospect.
    yes, and Channel Four has been a real disappointment in this respect, when initially they seemed to be right behind it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kasg wrote: »
    They have already said that it will be replaced with BBC One +1, unless you are suggesting that this will be SD only.

I think it will.

The Purpose of the BBC Three closure is to save money. COM7 is not their multiplex (unlike PSB2).

So close BBC Three HD & SD, put BBC One+1 on the SD capacity, and move BBC Four HD from COM7 to PSB2.

Can you really see HD capacity being used for a +1 channel??!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So close BBC Three HD & SD, put BBC One+1 on the SD capacity, and move BBC Four HD from COM7 to PSB2.
    And close CBeebies HD?
  • Options
    Mickey_TMickey_T Posts: 4,962
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There was talk of extending CBBC's broadcasting by an hour to 8pm before it switches to BBC1+1, so I expect there will be an HD variant as otherwise you'd also lose CBBC in HD.
  • Options
    chrisychrisy Posts: 9,421
    Forum Member
    I think it will.

The Purpose of the BBC Three closure is to save money. COM7 is not their multiplex (unlike PSB2).

Can you really see HD capacity being used for a +1 channel??!

Ofcom's recent consultation suggested the BBC could move their channels back to PSB3, at the point in time 700MHz is re-farmed. The point being that compression improvements would allow two extra streams by then.

In the interim, you'd have half a stream going to waste, and as all the BBC's playout is in HD, using that space for BBC1+1HD is trivial. Not using it would save the stream costs for half a day (if Arqiva is willing to provide these streams on a non-24hr basis), which on COM7 is probably peanuts anyway.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Deleted
  • Options
    bringbackGalaxybringbackGalaxy Posts: 1,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There is still the BBC Trust consultation on the closure of BBC Three and transfer to online only. We all know the idea will be thrown out, much the same as 6 Music. BBC Three will still be here in the medium term. If they want to save money to keep it on air, close BBC Two down during the day and start up at 6pm. Its only repeats and simulcast of BBC News anyway.
  • Options
    Dansky+HDDansky+HD Posts: 9,806
    Forum Member
    Any update on terrestrial HD versions

BBC Two HD nations in Scotland, Wales & NI

BBC One HD regions

Also ITV Wales HD

Channel 5 HD

S4C HD

E4HD, More4 HD, Film 4HD, 4seven HD
    5*HD, 5USA HD.
  • Options
    BahtatBahtat Posts: 756
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dansky+HD wrote: »
    Any update on terrestrial HD versions

BBC Two HD nations in Scotland, Wales & NI

BBC One HD regions

Also ITV Wales HD

Channel 5 HD

S4C HD

E4HD, More4 HD, Film 4HD, 4seven HD
    5*HD, 5USA HD.

There's something wrong with you.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bahtat wrote: »
    There's something wrong with you.
    That's a bit harsh, but if there had been any update it would have been reported here so the post was pretty pointless.
  • Options
    BahtatBahtat Posts: 756
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's a bit harsh, but if there had been any update it would have been reported here so the post was pretty pointless.

Just as pointless as every other identical post he makes every 5 minutes.

He's been told many times before that if there was any news with regards to HD channels then it would be on here already. I'll be honest I'm getting seriously p*ssed off seeing threads like these bumped up and after initially thinking there must be an interesting update, I find it's this user yet again listing all the channels that he wants to see and asking the same question he knows the answer to.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've only just worked out that he's probably called Dan, not Dansky, and probably has a Sky+ HD box so why does he care so much about Freeview?
  • Options
    epsilonepsilon Posts: 4,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've only just worked out that he's probably called Dan, not Dansky, and probably has a Sky+ HD box so why does he care so much about Freeview?

In which case you'd think he would know that 5* HD & 5USA HD don't exist on any platform. Similarly S4C HD doesn't exist on any platform, it did exist in the past but was closed down due to lack of funding.

To reply to his other points. The additional BBC HD regions are awaiting approval from the BBC Trust. As far as I'm aware, there are no immediate plans for launching any further ITV HD regional variations.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Agree with Bahtat, Dansky+HD keeps on posting asking for news on New HD channels (even minor changes like new ITV regions) despite being told that any change will be all over the forum when it becomes public. Seems to think that there are lots of insiders on here willing to spill the beans and risk their jobs to satisfy his craving for HD news. does he run his own 'TV News' website service perchance??