Options

Will Sir Alex Ferguson,leaving Man U get mentioned in any soap?

Comments

• Options
    MattehhhftwMattehhhftw Posts: 8,688
    Forum Member
    I doubt it but who knows.
  • Options
    KaylaLKaylaL Posts: 1,627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why would they? He's only a football manager...they change weekly these days. And yes I know he's been around for 20 something years and all that...but I'd personally be betting that most of the players were secretly thanking God he's going.

Meant to say EE didn't mention it when the chosen one/special one..whatever he was left that London team a while back...yet Fiona Phillips acted like it was doomsday!
  • Options
    barlowconnorbarlowconnor Posts: 38,120
    Forum Member
    The only possibility is in Corrie if someone goes to an Man U game.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 46
    Forum Member
    Don't corrie normal reference a fictional football teams weatherfled county or something like that ware as east enders refer to real teams
  • Options
    coolercooler Posts: 13,024
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Have Corrie ever inserted a topical news piece into the show? Only EE does this, and even they didn't mention Thatchers death. I don't think Corrie will mention it.
  • Options
    T.K.T.K. Posts: 19,502
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fergie isn't any old manager though. He's built an iconic, legendary status as United's manager for the past 26 years. He's a rarity and a sporting legend. I don't see why Corrie can't mention him in passing conversation about football. It seems silly not to mention his name (considering his popularity in Manchester) if they're talking about football. But Corrie often don't mention sport at all, so I'm not sure how they can sneak in Fergie's name.

All the players love him at United (you just have to watch player interviews to see that), so not sure about this idea of them being happy he's leaving. Love him or hate him, he's a true great of sport. That can't be denied :cool:.

I doubt EE will mention it. Fergie has no association to London or east London.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,163
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I expect all of the soaps mentioned my lads, the mighty Newport County winning our big play-off final at Wembley on Sunday - it's just a pity I've been drunk as a lord ever since! :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 356
    Forum Member
    They definitely should mention him without doubt. He is the best manager of all time and a sporting icon. Football will miss him- and this is coming from a Southampton fan.

Corrie may mention it cos of the Manchester connection, but also cos of the rewrites... if there is a 20 second slot to fill in Kens absence, I would like to think they'd sneak a mention in.
  • Options
    SwanGirlSwanGirl Posts: 2,161
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I expect all of the soaps mentioned my lads, the mighty Newport County winning our big play-off final at Wembley on Sunday - it's just a pity I've been drunk as a lord ever since! :D

I'm landed for you! Was cheering Newport on! Congrats! Sorry, off topic! lol
  • Options
    Dub2Dub2 Posts: 2,869
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oldnjaded wrote: »
    He hadn't been at any other team for 27 years and built the most iconic club in history though.

I don't think they'll mention it in the short term though.

If you are looking for most iconic,perhaps you should check out Real Madrid first.
  • Options
    T.K.T.K. Posts: 19,502
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dub2 wrote: »
    If you are looking for most iconic,perhaps you should check out Real Madrid first.

That's debateable to be honest. Some would agree, some wouldn't. I would say in the modern era of football (IMO), United has now become the most iconic club in the world due to Fergie's relentless, extraordinary success over the 26 years (the Treble in 99 certainly played a huge part in that as the club instantly became a global monster because of the rarity of such an achievement) and the club's unique global appeal in attracting supporters from all the world. United's consistency to keep winning trophies, not to mention the manager and stadium (the Theatre of Dreams :cool:), together make a iconic package like no other if you ask me. But I do agree about Real Madrid being the most iconic in the past, but most of their great successes (especially all those staggering amounts of European Cups :eek:) were in the past and not all fans remember it (the younger fans in particular). As I said, it's all debateable though :).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SwanGirl wrote: »
    I'm landed for you! Was cheering Newport on! Congrats! Sorry, off topic! lol

Hey, I like you SwanGirl!!!! :)

Thanks mate - we were all cheering the mighty Swans on too in the League Cup Final - after all we're both united in our hatred of that team down the road who play in red! :D:D
  • Options
    MarleyBMarleyB Posts: 748
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    when the princess takes her next dump, that will mentioned in the next episode of EE, it will be like omg must write that in :p
  • Options
    cliffy91cliffy91 Posts: 1,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I've had a good few drinks with Justin Edinburgh before when he was manager of my local team Rushden & Diamonds.....great man and was fully cheering Newport on :D
  • Options
    mo mousemo mouse Posts: 38,764
    Forum Member
    Absolutely loathe Ferguson
  • Options
    OldnjadedOldnjaded Posts: 89,126
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mo mouse wrote: »
    Absolutely loathe Ferguson

:eek: You just had to cross the line didn't you? :mad::mad:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cliffy91 wrote: »
    I've had a good few drinks with Justin Edinburgh before when he was manager of my local team Rushden & Diamonds.....great man and was fully cheering Newport on :D

Hey, I like you too Cliffy! :)

Can't argue with that, Justin has the freedom of the city as far as we're concerned.

Thanks buddy.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    :eek: You just had to cross the line didn't you? :mad::mad:

Lol, good old mo. :D

Sorry OJ, I loathe old Bacon Face as well!!

(quickly dashes for cover :p)
  • Options
    glen20glen20 Posts: 954
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    An old man retires. Big deal!
  • Options
    Sun Tzu.Sun Tzu. Posts: 19,064
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am sick of the TV coverage about it. I wish he would just f*ck off to be honest.
  • Options
    Ian_MasonIan_Mason Posts: 40
    Forum Member
    priscilla wrote: »
    They might, Tommy/Tyrone or Steve/Lyold could talk about it.
    Does this mean next year Man U will have a different manager? Not really clued up about football :o

Why ? are you a Stockport County fan :):):confused:
  • Options
    thedarklord _thedarklord _ Posts: 565
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sun Tzu. wrote: »
    I am sick of the TV coverage about it. I wish he would just f*ck off to be honest.

How dare you, he's the greatest manager ever :mad::p
  • Options
    OldnjadedOldnjaded Posts: 89,126
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lol, good old mo. :D

Sorry OJ, I loathe old Bacon Face as well!!

(quickly dashes for cover :p)

It's OK, dear - I know you and Mo can't help suffering from 'small man' syndrome and you're still welcome at the Theatre of Dreams any time. Me and SAF and David don't hold grudges against the less fortunate. :cool:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's OK, dear - I know you and Mo can't help suffering from 'small man' syndrome and you're still welcome at the Theatre of Dreams any time. Me and SAF and David don't hold grudges against the less fortunate. :cool:

'small man syndrome' Lol!!!!! :D:D

I guess I deserved that one OJ!

I hope the 'Theatre of Dreams' doesn't start playing host to nightmares now that Gollum is in charge!! ;):)
  • Options
    SuburbanqueenSuburbanqueen Posts: 385
    Forum Member
    about this anyway. Football is a money making, dishonest, con and most of the players and managers are the same. It is just about shareholders and dodgy deals and I CANNOt understand this country's obsession with 22 people kicking a ball around a field. The UK hasn't won anything major since 1966 and never will again. Hardly any of the players represent the area in which they grew up so it is meaningless. I OBJECT strongly to having 10 minutes of the BBC news devoted to this cretin. Enough already