Options

Being able to memorize something after reading it a few times...

HMOHMO Posts: 42,231
Forum Member
Is it possible?

Comments

• Options
    Raquelos.Raquelos. Posts: 7,734
    Forum Member
    Hassaan13 wrote: »
    Is it possible?

Some people have that faculty, it's called an eidetic memory - lucky bastards I always think. For the rest of us mere mortals it is something you can get better at with practice, I used to be able to memorise lines for being in plays fairly fast, not having done it for some years I suspect it would take me longer now.
  • Options
    Babe RainbowBabe Rainbow Posts: 34,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is it possible?

Mnemonics :)
  • Options
    RhumbatuggerRhumbatugger Posts: 85,713
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't know if a few times would do it for many, for some though.

Most need more than a few times.

I think though, that once you've learned one thing, the next is easier.

I also think that learning things by heart is quite a good thing.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,145
    Forum Member
    A sentence? A book? A thesis? Depends on what it is. My friend as a photographic memory, which is annoying when it comes to exams!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It's a load of notes which I need to know after a few hours :o (exam's tomorrow morning).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Firstly, stress affects your memory retention, so trying to cram it now will make you stressed and have the complete opposite effect than desired. Best advice I can give is to give them a read through, have a ate, have another quick skim through and go to bed early, you'll be amazed what you'll remember when you actually get in there. Good luck!
  • Options
    RhumbatuggerRhumbatugger Posts: 85,713
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a load of notes which I need to know after a few hours :o (exam's tomorrow morning).

Read it all, a few times.

Precis each point - use bullet points.

Say it over to yourself.

Write your bullet points out by memory.

Check.

Go to bed, read the damned question, answer it as best you damned well can, watch your time.

Good luck.:)
  • Options
    Zizu58Zizu58 Posts: 3,658
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is it possible?

I know an autistic lad who can do this .

I fact he sometimes walks around the office , looking at the notices on the wall and can recite from memory after a second or two .
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I've got loads of pages to learn. I don't have to learn all the information but there is quite a lot. How will I manage to remember it all in the morning if I just read through it now?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 112
    Forum Member
    It is possible, I memorised an 8 page essay I wrote for an exam I sat yesterday, took me a day, got one tomorrow too and am just memorising 2 3 page essays for it.

I have a TERRIBLE memory when it comes to remembering childhood events or things that happened last summer but I can write something, have a good few reads of it, write it down again, memorise it, write it down by memory, read it again and write it in an exam (as soon as I've used it though it disappears).

I know you should really rely on knowledge rather than memory but if it helps me get better marks that's what I'm gonna stick with.

Good luck with your exam!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I've got loads of pages to learn. I don't have to learn all the information but there is quite a lot. How will I manage to remember it all in the morning if I just read through it now?

Like I said, stress and panic will make things worse, so just do what you can now. Sleep is the most important factor here.
  • Options
    Roland MouseRoland Mouse Posts: 9,531
    Forum Member
    When you read a fact, work out what the question my be?

If you are reading about Henry the 8th, then obviously his wives are going to pop up. Who was his first wife? Who was his last wife? How many were beheaded? (Far simpler to answer all those questions and many more about his wives if you learn all on them, the order they can in and how each one died. You should then be well equipped to answer any standard typical question about then and also include enough extra waffle that gets point because it sounds like you know what you are talking about.)

So whilst reading whatever it is, think what would you normally be asked about it? A name? A date? A place?

The worse thing is to try and learn every word on every page like a script. You don't need that. Sort out the important parts that you could be asked a question on.

Also, whilst going through it and you think of a question they may ask based of the bit you have just read, WRITE IT DOWN! Then when you get to the end, you then have your own test to check it the info has stuck.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,667
    Forum Member
    Is it possible?

Yes, I have a photographic memory for number, I have to see them though, it's not just saying them.

I found it out when i was a student and could remember every car reg on the carpark I worked on. I also remembered every important date, reigns, deaths, births battles and treaties over a timeline of a thousand years.

Pretty useless for everything else though, i can't add up or multiply!
  • Options
    TheMunchTheMunch Posts: 9,024
    Forum Member
    I have a pretty good memory, though it's never been labelled as eidetic or photographic (because it's never been examined), so I'll just call it "pretty good". :p

I can remember my mobile phone number, though I've never been able to remember my National Insurance number without looking at my NI card.

When it comes to reading text, I think most people can remember what they're read, though maybe not word-for-word. Since you're talking about reading notes, well I can take and remember mental-note (but I do forget some of it).

I can present a PowerPoint presentation without reading from the board because I can memorise what I've put. I just need to look at the slide I'm on to know what I'm going to say, which is usually what is written on that slide, either when it's got text on it or if I've used bullet points.

I can remember names after being told once, and associate them with faces if I've seen them. Sometimes I remember things about people who I've never spoken to and who hardly know me. Just this Sunday in the pub (after watching the Liverpool vs QPR game) someone was talking to me who I've seen around but have never spoken to. When she said things to me I'd reply "I know" because she's said it at least once before and that's all it takes for me to remember it.

Also whenever I go to the pub and a friend is there, if she gets drunk she asks me after that night (usually the following day, or next time we see each other) about what happened. It can be a curse sometimes because it means I can remember things I wish I didn't, including the rare occasions that I get drunk (accidentally). Luckily I don't do anything embarrassing when I'm drunk. :p
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,667
    Forum Member
    I should have said "numbers" obv.

ooopppps