Options

Forum design feedback

Comments

• Options
    jzeejzee Posts: 25,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    2shy2007 wrote: »
    Who designed this?Its a real YTS job. you will lose members DS if you keep it, its awful to use. grey and grey?? really????
    White & light blue on grey, even better:sleep:!
  • Options
    Deacon1972Deacon1972 Posts: 8,171
    Forum Member
    Lost right hand side of screen on Android phone/tablet (HTC One/Archos Cobalt 80).

First logged in I thought it had taken me to a mobile version, to blend IMO, needs colour.
  • Options
    mark owenmark owen Posts: 176
    Forum Member
    It doesn't fit my screen. :(

^^
    This.
  • Options
    VoynichVoynich Posts: 14,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can't see the right hand side of posts. The menu at the top takes up a quarter of the screen so only one post fits at a time. I'm using chrome on an android tablet with a 10.1" screen and a 1920x1080 red.
  • Options
    coopermanyorkscoopermanyorks Posts: 21,215
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tiacat wrote: »
    I was just posting about this on the poll thread and it disappeared. I was saying, that the screen looks like it hasnt loaded properly, the font looks odd as Im writing but I dont know what it will look like when its posted, and I dont like the grey, and theres still no 'like' button

Snap :D

Why not let us choose the colours
  • Options
    He4rtHe4rt Posts: 5,379
    Forum Member
    Hi Tom.

I see from profile settings that there are options to see avatars and images (in code)  Is this something that will be coming with this update?
  • Options
    Bus Stop2012Bus Stop2012 Posts: 5,624
    Forum Member
    Looks very cheap, and that borne out by the amateurish errors in the basics, like it not fitting the screen.

I hope you lose a shed load of custom, quite frankly.
  • Options
    Yoshi FanYoshi Fan Posts: 13,913
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    1) Colour scheme is dreadful. Too much grey and white...it's hurting my eyes so if that's going to stay on the forums, I'm not going to.
    2) The header at the top needs to be locked, so it doesn't scroll. It takes up too much space on the screen.
    3) ...actually, might as well cut to the chase. Give us an option to have the old skin/design back...surely it's possible to have it at the bottom, like we can switch to the mobile site. Have this one as the default by all means, but let those of us who don't like it (and there are many at the moment!) have the good old design.
  • Options
    ladyloulouladyloulou Posts: 7,932
    Forum Member
    i have loads of space on the right and the left. Is it safe to assume these will be filled with annoying ads? lol
  • Options
    2shy20072shy2007 Posts: 52,579
    Forum Member
    Please remove the top banner, it is too intrusive.
  • Options
    lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member
    I actually quite like the colours. I even like the fonts (apart from the one in this text box, which is like a typewriter!).
    My main gripes are (c'mon - you can't change a website without gripes!):
    1) Why isn't this being done on the sandbox/test server? No web company worth its salt rolls out a website onto live servers before all the problems are ironed out!
    2) The stylesheets haven't been configured properly. Boxes & line spacing too high (so that there are two/three posts on screen at any one time), and the css width for the forum is fixed so that 1/3rd of the width of the screen real estate is being wasted. Especially on a 1900x1620 monitor.
  • Options
    TRIPSTRIPS Posts: 3,714
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Awful,thought my laptop had broke. not a matter of getting used to it just poor graphics.like some old forum 10 yrs ago.
  • Options
    Zack06Zack06 Posts: 28,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My comments:

- Colour scheme is lurid and horrible. Very uncomfortable to read
    - Spacing between posts is huge and requires more scrolling
    - Old buttons from the old look are still visible. They need to be squared off and matched with the new scheme
    - The font is not quite right, it's very thin and hard to read with such a bright white background

It's bizarre how the main site looks brilliant with the new look, but the forum design has gone so wrong. Hopefully it will change, as this current design really is terrible.
  • Options
    ElanorElanor Posts: 13,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I know that every forum that has a revamp, everyone always immediately says how much they hate it and I'm prepared to give it a chance and see if I get used to it. But I do agree with these comments:

The post boxes are way too deep. I get two posts per screen max and so much dead white space. Apart from that, I'll get used to it.
    Far too much space in between each thread, but otherwise fine. I'm sure you can condense it all a bit more though!
    Seventeen wrote: »
    Is the current look of the forums & topic how it's meant to look? Because it honestly looks broken....look like they haven't fully loaded or something.
    There is far to much wasted space in each post, meaning that there are fewer posts per page, making it more difficult to follow a discussion as you have to keep going back pages.

grey on grey is a wee bit difficult to read even if it does look quite smart

There's SO much wasted space, it's crazy!
  • Options
    SamsMamSamsMam Posts: 45
    Forum Member
    Im on the ipad and some of the screen is lost on the right hand side. In short, this design is no longer letting me read any posts in their entirety. Useless really.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Scrolling, scrolling, scrolling
    Go hide! :D
  • Options
    Thunder LipsThunder Lips Posts: 1,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looks like the feedback is overwhelming already. Let's see if DS actually do anything about it, or just ignore everyone til we go away.
  • Options
    darrenh2011darrenh2011 Posts: 2,608
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    terrible..that is all
  • Options
    Who Am I?Who Am I? Posts: 20,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Eeekkk This is a bit of a shock - didn't notice any difference on my phone but this is certainly weird!
  • Options
    ROWLING2010ROWLING2010 Posts: 3,909
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Horrendous.

Hurting my eyes.

Plus on my tablet I have lost part of tbe right side of the page. :mad:
  • Options
    intoxicationintoxication Posts: 7,059
    Forum Member
    I was always taught if I don't have anything nice to say then I shouldn't say anything at all, but I feel like I have to say something and honestly it looks awful. I'm so sorry to the people that worked hard on this, but it was totally unneeded. I did not even know this was happening and got the shock of my life when I typed the address in, I thought it might have been hacked or i typed it in wrong and i was directed to a rogue site..

The lack of colour makes the forum look dull and boring - even the updated logo looks plain and lacking in imagination. The top bar is horrible (I think it should be optional and have an 'X' in the corner - or just get rid of it together). In fact, can we just go back to the old scheme? i'm not saying this because I don't welcome change, if it looked nice then I would appreciate the hard work that went into it. But it doesn't look nice. If the site really needed updating couldn't you have just updated any background information to make it run smoother but just keep the same design?

Again, i know people have worked hard on this so sorry for this negativity, but I don't think there's a positive thing about this change :(

EDIT: I saw a comment above saying the main site looks okay and I checked it out (I am not a user of the main site at all, just the forums) and had to add that it does. But PLEASE do something about the forums.
  • Options
    SattregaSattrega Posts: 85,046
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's not just bad, it's shockingly bad.

I'm trying to wrap my head around the fact that some folks out there came up with this idea and actually thought it was a good one!
  • Options
    Evs814Evs814 Posts: 286
    Forum Member
    Westy2 wrote: »
    Can't see the right of the screen, & it won't let you scroll across, on a smartphone.

Or iPad.

Please can everyone write short sentences!
  • Options
    Aaron_ScotlandAaron_Scotland Posts: 8,487
    Forum Member
    I can't really offer an opinion Admin, as it doesn't fit my monitor. Do I change the settings (no problems with any other site) or is this temporary?

You dont need to change settings. The DS web developers have put overflow hidden on the wrapper which is an idiotic thing to do..
  • Options
    MicrokorgMicrokorg Posts: 2,670
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hate it
    bring back the old look
This discussion has been closed.