Am I paying too much tax?

JulzeiJulzei Posts: 4,209
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I've been working in my current job since the beginning of April this year. I work 24 hours a week at a rate of £7.50 an hour which in my calculations works out to be £180 a week or £720 a month.

I get paid monthly, and am supposed to be paid the 27th of each month.

Last month I didn't get paid till 9th May because of problems with the booking system online and received £441 which I was concerned about until I saw I was paying £99 paye and £52 national insurance contributions which didn't sound right to me so I enquired about it and found I was on the wrong tax code (500T) as the tax office thought I was still claiming mileage allowance from my previous job which ended last summer.

I was told I would be put on a new tax code where I didn't have to pay tax before earning £10,000 a year (1000L) and I would be receiving a rebate with my next pay check.

The 27th of this month came round and I received no pay which initially I thought might be delayed because of the bank holiday but my colleague said she was paid. I emailed payroll at work about it and was supposed to receive a email within 24 hours but didn't. Anyway I've just checked my bank account and saw today that I've been paid £404 and even though my tax code has been changed and I was due a rebate, I'm still paying £99 paye and £20 national insurance contributions.

My pay slips don't say how many hours I'm being paid for so it's hard to tell with the first one how many days I'm being paid for but I didn't work as many days as I did this month so I'm just really confused as to why I've been paid less.

I work for a big organisation (NHS) so it's not like I work in some crummy shop that doesn't get enough custom to pay their staff.

I'm just very confused about what's going on.

Comments

• maxsimaxsi Posts: 2,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It depends on when you spoke to the tax office and when your payroll was run. If the form from the tax office didn't get to your company in time then they will have had to use the wrong code again. Hopefully they will have it be the next pay run date and you will get it all back
  • JulzeiJulzei Posts: 4,209
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    maxsi wrote: »
    It depends on when you spoke to the tax office and when your payroll was run. If the form from the tax office didn't get to your company in time then they will have had to use the wrong code again. Hopefully they will have it be the next pay run date and you will get it all back

It does actually state on my latest payslip that I'm on code 100L so it has been changed.
  • DiscombobulateDiscombobulate Posts: 4,242
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Julzei wrote: »

I was told I would be put on a new tax code where I didn't have to pay tax before earning £10,000 a year (1000L) and I would be receiving a rebate with my next pay check.
    It does actually state on my latest payslip that I'm on code 100L so it has been changed.

Spot the difference !
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Spot the difference !

Typo! Will edit.

/edit

It won't let me edit that post. Anyway I meant 1000L
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It should be 1000L.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Typo! Will edit.

/edit

It won't let me edit that post. Anyway I meant 1000L

That is correct.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,916
    Forum Member
    I get taxed 3x my wife's take home salary every month, so I am glad I am contributing to those trollops with 73 sprogs and a flat screen TV.
  • tsotso Posts: 25,860
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://www.thesalarycalculator.co.uk/

tells you what you take home

you should get 176.76 a week or 765.96 monthly
  • LakieLadyLakieLady Posts: 19,713
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They don't always give you a refund automatically any more. Ring the HMRC helpline (google for the number) and explain that you've overpaid tax for the last 2 months and you'd like a refund.

HMRC prefer to deal with overpayments by adjusting your tax code in the following year, so you get it back by paying less tax then, but they're generally cool about doing refunds.

The HMRC helpline people are surprisingly helpful, compared to many other government call centres.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,383
    Forum Member
    LakieLady wrote: »
    They don't always give you a refund automatically any more. Ring the HMRC helpline (google for the number) and explain that you've overpaid tax for the last 2 months and you'd like a refund.

If you're on PAYE then over & under payments within the current tax year WILL usually be sorted out via your payroll, when the correct details are used, because of the cumulative way it works.
    HMRC prefer to deal with overpayments by adjusting your tax code in the following year, so you get it back by paying less tax then, but they're generally cool about doing refunds.

Usually for underpayments, they can only adjust it so much though, so you may get a bill to pay AND have your code adjusted if there's a large underpayment. If you've overpaid at the end of the tax year then just apply for a refund
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LCDMAN wrote: »
    If you're on PAYE then over & under payments within the current tax year WILL usually be sorted out via your payroll, when the correct details are used, because of the cumulative way it works.

Usually for underpayments, they can only adjust it so much though, so you may get a bill to pay AND have your code adjusted if there's a large underpayment. If you've overpaid at the end of the tax year then just apply for a refund

So I have to sort this out via my works payroll not the tax office?

I'm going to have to wait a year to get my rebate and have a bill to pay for it? All because I had the wrong tax code? I don't even know whose fault it was that I was on the wrong tax code.

I don't understand why I am paying £99 paye when I have read that I am not supposed to pay tax on the tax code 1000L when I am earning less than £10,000 a year at the moment. I don't even remember paying this much tax when I was working full time in a different job.
  • gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There is something not right. We are now in a new tax year. If you have a code of 1000 you will not pay tax on earnings of 200 a week, so something is wrong.

Look at your payslip and tell us wHAt the tax code says. Tell us what the gross pay is. Tell us the date on the payslip.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There is something not right. We are now in a new tax year. If you have a code of 1000 you will not pay tax on earnings of 200 a week, so something is wrong.

Look at your payslip and tell us wHAt the tax code says. Tell us what the gross pay is. Tell us the date on the payslip.

The tax code clearly states 1000L CUMUL.

Then on the left hand side it says pay and allowances 325.71 and on the the right it says deductions PAYE 99.20R and NI A 20.72 then at the bottom net pay £404.19

I'm so confused :confused: