Options

The Pro Cycling Thread (Part 2)

Comments

• Options
    deivu74deivu74 Posts: 3,001
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Big fines.

No I mean say the barriers start coming down in the middle of the pelaton or between the breakaway and the pelaton? Some might get an extra 2 minutes ahead or something!
  • Options
    John259John259 Posts: 28,467
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    deivu74 wrote: »
    No I mean say the barriers start coming down in the middle of the pelaton or between the breakaway and the pelaton? Some might get an extra 2 minutes ahead or something!
    That has happened in the past. I guess these days for the grand tours railway timetables are adjusted so as to prevent it.
  • Options
    grassmarketgrassmarket Posts: 33,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

What happens is that the race commisars take a note of the time gap at the split, then they go up to the breakaway and block the road until the peleton gets back to approximately the gap they had before. It's not an exact science though - if there are dribs and drabs of riders all over the place then someone loses out.

Like I say, the riders are expected to obey the signals, and they get in trouble if they try to duck under a descending barrier or jump a light.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What's happened to Phillippe Gilbert? He's not in it this year?
  • Options
    TOON FANTOON FAN Posts: 1,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    John259 wrote: »
    That has happened in the past. I guess these days for the grand tours railway timetables are adjusted so as to prevent it.

2013 tour.
    http://youtu.be/VT_tz0D24FE
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Disappointed we didn't get a rendition of "Mademoiselle from Armentières" by Paul Sherwen. :D
  • Options
    swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Looking like a Kittel stage again.......wonder if Griepel will have a go today, Sagan ?, Coquard, Renshaw......

Oh Sagan is off the back of the peloton.........been on the deck ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Marcel Kittel 3 out of 4. He's trouncing Peter Sagan.
  • Options
    Party AnimalParty Animal Posts: 1,372
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What happens if they go across a level crossing when the train is coming?! :o
    I have seen the peleton stop and wait in the past but not sure what criteria is for avoiding them
  • Options
    Party AnimalParty Animal Posts: 1,372
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Marcel Kittel 3 out of 4. He's trouncing Peter Sagan.

Peter Sagan is an all round bike rider.. Marcel Kittel is an out and out sprinter

Peter Sagan can also climb the hills whereas Marcel cannot and never will

Marcel will never ever finish above Peter Sagan in a Grand Tour
  • Options
    Department_SDepartment_S Posts: 4,924
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Peter Sagan is an all round bike rider.. Marcel Kittel is an out and out sprinter

Peter Sagan can also climb the hills whereas Marcel cannot and never will

Marcel will never ever finish above Peter Sagan in a Grand Tour

As reflected in the overall standings in the points classification which has Sagan 23 points clear of Kittel despite the latter's 3 stage wins so far.
  • Options
    tealadytealady Posts: 26,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So is froome's wrist OK then? I couldn't tell from the interview. Why not let her speak French and use subtitles?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    tealady wrote: »
    So is froome's wrist OK then? I couldn't tell from the interview. Why not let her speak French and use subtitles?

seems like he should be OK but he's having precautionary X rays to check........

the team seem to think he'll be OK
  • Options
    tealadytealady Posts: 26,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    swingaleg wrote: »
    seems like he should be OK but he's having precautionary X rays to check........

the team seem to think he'll be OK
    This was after the xrays. I'm sure the team think that, they wouldn't say otherwise. At least they were able to say they are not looking forward to tomorrow!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    tealady wrote: »
    This was after the xrays. I'm sure the team think that, they wouldn't say otherwise. At least they were able to say they are not looking forward to tomorrow!

oh blimey.......the cobbles will find out any injured wrists !
  • Options
    divingbboydivingbboy Posts: 14,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cobblestones and rain forecast for today, you say? Excellent.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wonder how many riders will have withdrawn by the end of the day.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    ES showing pretty much the whole stage again today.........:o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    They've covered about 20-odd K so far........it's raining and windy

They've taken out 2 sections of pavé because of the conditions

We've still got around 60K to go before the first sections.......and there'll now be around 13/14K of cobbles in the last 50-odd K of the race

We're in Paris-Roubaix country so all the focus today is on guys who have a good record in the big classic........although they've pointed out that none of todays riders have experience of a wet Paris-Roubaix as there hasn't been one since 2002
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think if any go down on the first sector in this wet weather, they'll do a protest and stop or something. :D
  • Options
    grassmarketgrassmarket Posts: 33,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think if any go down on the first sector in this wet weather, they'll do a protest and stop or something. :D

This happened a couple of times in the Giro already this year, they just rode along at a normal speed until the last 3km. And as soon as they started to race, there were about 6 crashes straight away!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Chris Froome fell off again!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Froome on the deck !
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This happened a couple of times in the Giro already this year, they just rode along at a normal speed until the last 3km. And as soon as they started to race, there were about 6 crashes straight away!

Yes, I remember that!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Froome is about a minute behind the peloton........team mates coming back to bring him up

Could be a lot of crashes today even on the tarmac roads......