Circumcision for Religous Reasons

Comments

• The 12th DoctorThe 12th Doctor Posts: 4,338
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    UKMikey wrote: »
    Perhaps you shouldn't've referred to the Bible as an authority in your earlier post then - I don't think it proclaims Jesus to be a false messiah anywhere in its pages

Here's my thread on this topic. Every claim about Jesus being the Messiah is false.

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?p=73297070
  • UKMikeyUKMikey Posts: 28,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Here's my thread on this topic. Every claim about Jesus being the Messiah is false.

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?p=73297070
    As Jesus Himself said in the gospel according to Parker & Stone 1:06, "My son, I wouldn't touch that with a sixty-foot pole".

To an atheist like me it's just one set of opinions versus another. Your proselytising is therefore wasted on me.
  • 1Mickey1Mickey Posts: 10,427
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Are you serious in making that a valid reason why it's perfectly ok to mutilate a baby?

I'll ask again, what do you think most people would say if they had to to get it done as an adult?

1. Its not mutilation.

2. I don't really care what a very small minority have to say about other peoples kids.
  • johnythefoxjohnythefox Posts: 1,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1Mickey wrote: »
    1. Its not mutilation.

2. I don't really care what a very small minority have to say about other peoples kids.

Technically it's mutilation, although perhaps an emotive description.

BIB - not sure what you mean here. who's talking about other peoples kids? and a small minority of what? anyway, my question is do you think that the majority of adults would have it done to themselves at an adult age?
  • DadDancerDadDancer Posts: 3,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1. Its not mutilation.

if you don't think it's mutilation then what exactly do you think it is? Body modification maybe? Either way this kind of thing belongs in the dark ages and it is the business of other people if parents are abusing their kids.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Technically it's mutilation, although perhaps an emotive description.

BIB - not sure what you mean here. who's talking about other peoples kids? and a small minority of what? anyway, my question is do you think that the majority of adults would have it done to themselves at an adult age?

1, Its not comparable with anything normal people would regard as mutilation.

2. You're talking about other people's kids, unless you're saying its the parents getting circumcised.

3. Adults do get it done but whether its a majority of a minority has nothing to do with anything.
  • DrFlowDemandDrFlowDemand Posts: 2,121
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cutting healthy functional parts of children is mutilation - religious circumcision is mutilation. Anyone who thinks otherwise is not normal!

It should be banned and be punishable.
  • GroutyGrouty Posts: 34,028
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jews circumcise because it states unequivocally in the Bible to do so (Genesis 17:10-14). Christians should but don't because they pick and choose their mitzvot.

Jew must be joking.

:(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cutting healthy functional parts of children is mutilation - religious circumcision is mutilation. Anyone who thinks otherwise is not normal!

It should be banned and be punishable.

Actually most "normal" people aren't bothered about this. Its just afew people who are basically ignorant and think they're right and everyone who doesn't follow them is either evil or stupid.
  • CravenHavenCravenHaven Posts: 13,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Actually most "normal" people aren't bothered about this. Its just afew people who are basically ignorant and think they're right and everyone who doesn't follow them is either evil or stupid.
    if it's so gr8 why wouldn't they let people choose it for themselves when they're 13... like catholic Confirmation.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    if it's so gr8 why wouldn't they let people choose it for themselves when they're 13... like catholic Confirmation.

That would defeat the point.
  • CravenHavenCravenHaven Posts: 13,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ^ they don't remove the point as well do they? That's horrid.
  • MonsterMunch99MonsterMunch99 Posts: 2,475
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That would defeat the point.

What is the point of it, exactly?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What is the point of it, exactly?

The point is that the commandment itself is that its a covenant between the parents and God that every male in their household who is 8 days old should be circumcised.

Genesis 17 verse 9-14

Then God said to Abraham, “As for you, you must keep my covenant, you and your descendants after you for the generations to come. 10 This is my covenant with you and your descendants after you, the covenant you are to keep: Every male among you shall be circumcised. 11 You are to undergo circumcision, and it will be the sign of the covenant between me and you. 12 For the generations to come every male among you who is eight days old must be circumcised, including those born in your household or bought with money from a foreigner—those who are not your offspring. 13 Whether born in your household or bought with your money, they must be circumcised. My covenant in your flesh is to be an everlasting covenant. 14 Any uncircumcised male, who has not been circumcised in the flesh, will be cut off from his people; he has broken my covenant
  • Will2911Will2911 Posts: 464
    Forum Member
    The point is that the commandment itself is that its a covenant between the parents and God that every male in their household who is 8 days old should be circumcised.

But why? If God doesn't want foreskins why'd he create them?
  • alan29alan29 Posts: 34,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Like flowery shirts some topics come round again and again.
    Should also ban piercing kids ears on grounds of class superiority.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Will2911 wrote: »
    But why? If God doesn't want foreskins why'd he create them?

Sorry I missed the Bible verses but I've added them now.
  • wavejockglwwavejockglw Posts: 10,596
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is nothing more than genital mutilation and should be banned by law and only performed if agreed to when over the age of 16 when individuals have enough maturity to make such choices.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

People are bothered by it, just look at the responses in this thread.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    People are bothered by it, just look at the responses in this thread.

Its a tiny number of people.
  • habbyhabby Posts: 10,027
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was circumcised for religious reasons at 8 days old so didn't have a lot to say about it :D

My son was also circumcised at that age as well. When my son gets married and possibly has a son he'll be circumcised as well. There's no problem about it.

We both haven't suffered at all from anything mentally or physically.

As usual there's lots of people complaining on behalf of other people and don't know what they're talking about.
  • Mark39LondonMark39London Posts: 3,977
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DadDancer wrote: »
    it's barbaric and cruel and needs to be outlawed. Screw their silly religious reasons.
    Sorry but i don't believe in sitting on the fence on matters like these as there simply is No compromise!

Quite simply this.

There is no justification for these barbaric practices; it's 2014 not the dark ages.
  • Incognito777Incognito777 Posts: 2,846
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jews circumcise because it states unequivocally in the Bible to do so (Genesis 17:10-14). Christians should but don't because they pick and choose their mitzvot.

OT rituals are not commands to Christians....
    Only Jews and Muslims do this.
    The Christian Equivalent is Baptism, this is what Jesus taught to do instead of circumcision.
  • SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    jesaya wrote: »
    So is stoning people for breaking the Sabbath though... so why stop doing that but carry on chopping bits off children?

The question asked was
    Now I don't understand why people do this for so called Religious reasons

I merely answered the question.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    habby wrote: »
    I was circumcised for religious reasons at 8 days old so didn't have a lot to say about it :D

My son was also circumcised at that age as well. When my son gets married and possibly has a son he'll be circumcised as well. There's no problem about it.

We both haven't suffered at all from anything mentally or physically.

As usual there's lots of people complaining on behalf of other people and don't know what they're talking about.

You have at least suffered with never experiencing your genitals in their complete state.