Options

Circumcision for Religous Reasons

Comments

• Options
    alan29alan29 Posts: 34,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    batgirl wrote: »
    A reduced risk is still a risk (if we take the stats on face value). Condoms offer a better level of protection and also guard against other sexually transmitted infections/diseases and against unwanted pregnancies, so it's not like cutting off the foreskin removes the need for safe sex planning.

Also, it's not up to me as his mum to make this kind of decision for my son. If he is convinced by the research - and wants to gamble his health/life by not practicing safe sex - he is free, now he's an adult, to do whatever he wants with his foreskin. It wasn't my job when he was an infant to decide what kind of a sex life he was going to have and to make alterations to his genitals.

I don't disagree with that ib an ideal world. I was actually answering a "there's no science/medical reason" point.
    In fact parents are at liberty to make all manner of decisions about their children that affect their future. Its a part of what we do, from diet and inoculations to education and hobbies. And some decisions during pregnancy to do with drink and drugs seem to be beyond social comment. But people seem to be particularly iffy about circumcision. As a circumcised man I rather shake my head about the fuss, and mutter "bloody religious obsessives at it again."
  • Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Like my Mum I have got Jewish blood, but I eat pork, I got a foreskin, I don't speak Hebrew and I have never attended a synagogue. Just because something is in your blood, it doesn't mean that you have to follow it.

I wouldn't class you as Jewish.
    zx50 wrote: »
    Medical reasons are the ONLY good reasons. I also know that you're just using that smilie to try and bait people who are replying to you.
    I see nothing wrong with the friendly smilie and I disagree with you
    Edit: You also don't have to be religious to be a Jew.

Definition....Jew, Hebrew Yĕhūdhī, or Yehudi, any person whose religion is Judaism
  • Options
    duffsdadduffsdad Posts: 11,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm always fascinated by how much religion is interested in what goes on in peoples pants.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,990
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's just the foreskin, a useless bit of skin. In the US they used to routinely circumcise babies at birth.

It isn't useless though is it?

By your argument, your ears are useless can I come round and chop them off?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alan29 wrote: »
    World Health Organisation ..... "There is compelling evidence that male circumcision reduces the risk of heterosexually acquired HIV infection in men by approximately 60%. "
    UN AIDS Conference ..... "ROME/GENEVA, 20 July 2011—The Joint United Nations Programme on HIV/AIDS (UNAIDS) strongly welcomes new results confirming that scaling-up adult male circumcision works to prevent HIV in men. "

There's your proven health benefits.

Using a condom or not having sex outside of a safe STD checked relationship is far better. ^_^
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Your outrageous arrogance speaks volumes.>:(

It's alright though, his religion makes it ok.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    habby wrote: »
    What is it with people and their inane replies? :confused:

Obviously with a baby the parent gives their consent for it to be done. We're talking about a tiny bit of useless skin that gets cut off. The baby recovers in about a week and thats it for the rest of his life.

Obviously you haven't had it done and probably don't even know anybody who has had it done, but will complain about it anyway? Go and lobby your MP about it if you feel so passionate against it.

If it was, so called, 'child abuse' it would have been stopped many years ago. Its all done within the laws of the country and there's no reason to have it stopped.

It is child abuse and you know very well why something hasn't been done about this before.
    I surprised that no-one has screamed anti-semitism on here yet.
    I do not care what religion (if any) the parents claim to be, doing this procedure for no good medical reason disgusts me.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The whole point of circumcision in Judaism is that God provided an imperfection which it is our religious duty to remove in order to show our commitment to the everlasting covenant. However...I agree that since children so young cannot consent or possibly know what is happening, maybe the Brit Milah should take place in adolescence.

To me the first part of your post is religious boll ocks. I do however agree with your second suggestion, so long as the child is able to say no.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    batgirl wrote: »
    Yes, I'm talking about parents giving their consent to have the child's earlobes cut off. They're pretty useless and the baby will recover from it relatively quickly. Are you for or against?

We don't really need all of our toes either, most people can manage quite well if their little toes are removed. Can I have my first pro-circumcision volunteer please? It won't hurt for more than a week I promise. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SULLA wrote: »
    I wouldn't class you as Jewish.

I see nothing wrong with the friendly smilie and I disagree with you

Definition....Jew, Hebrew Yĕhūdhī, or Yehudi, any person whose religion is Judaism

David Baddiel would disagree with you.
  • Options
    WolfsheadishWolfsheadish Posts: 10,400
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    duffsdad wrote: »
    I'm always fascinated by how much religion is interested in what goes on in peoples pants.

Yeah. I wonder why god picked on that particular piece of "useless skin". I mean why not the tip of your nose, a little toe, an earlobe...
  • Options
    barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just take a step back and consider what people are actually doing. It is an act of mutilation upon a child who has no say in the matter whatsoever, It is cruel and barbaric; how can any parent inflict such a thing on their child without feeling sick to the stomach? Just think about it!
  • Options
    DrFlowDemandDrFlowDemand Posts: 2,121
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why would they deeply regret this? Can they no longer function ?

Of course they can't, once a foreskin has been removed it can no longer serve its function.

I wouldn't end a relationship over it but as a woman, I prefer sex with uncut men.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    habby wrote: »
    What is it with people and their inane replies? :confused:

Obviously with a baby the parent gives their consent for it to be done. We're talking about a tiny bit of useless skin that gets cut off. The baby recovers in about a week and thats it for the rest of his life.

Obviously you haven't had it done and probably don't even know anybody who has had it done, but will complain about it anyway? Go and lobby your MP about it if you feel so passionate against it.

If it was, so called, 'child abuse' it would have been stopped many years ago. Its all done within the laws of the country and there's no reason to have it stopped.

We're talking about foreskins, which are not tiny bits of useless skin. Do you honestly believe that? Or is it what you tell yourself to make yourself feel better for not having one?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The foreskin is certainly not just a useless flap of skin If you don't have one and/or are not sure what it's for, these might help educate you a little http://www.doctorsopposingcircumcision.org/video/video.html - listen especially at 14:20 on the first video.
    http://www.circumstitions.com/Functions.html
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The foreskin is certainly not just a useless flap of skin If you don't have one and/or are not sure what it's for, these might help educate you a little http://www.doctorsopposingcircumcision.org/video/video.html - listen especially at 14:20 on the first video.
    http://www.circumstitions.com/Functions.html

Watching the video further down the page of your first link of a newborn boy being circumcised makes me feel physically sick. I could only watch 20 seconds. Anyone who thinks that this is an ok thing to do to child needs locking up.
  • Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    FANNY_ANNE wrote: »
    David Baddiel would disagree with you.
    He can please himself
    Of course they can't, once a foreskin has been removed it can no longer serve its function.

What is the function?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In reference to my post No 169 today.
    When I had it done as an adult, I naturally was anaesthetised so felt nothing.
    Post-op I vaguely recall minor, VERY minor, discomfort which dissipated very quickly.
    By the time I went home, (the same day), I was like a kid with a new bike at Christmas.
    I couldn't wait to try it out, but as I've already stated, the surgeon had advised against it until the stitches had dissolved.

My brother had it done in his 40s because of pain during sex. For some reason I had it done when I was 4 and in hospital for a hernia operation. My mum never explained why.

I must admit no girl/woman has ever complained.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He can please himself

What is the function?

None as far as i'm concerned.
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He can please himself

What is the function?

I'm guessing to keep the penis head moist.
  • Options
    juliancarswelljuliancarswell Posts: 8,896
    Forum Member
    As an uncutmale I can tell you that if my turtles head comes out accidentally in my underwear during the day I have to stop what I am doing, pdq and find somewhere I can adjust myself again and pull the foreskin over again. If Idont the chaffing becomes very painful.
    That sensetivity in the nerve endings is what is lost when a boy is cut. They dont know they have lost it as they cant experience the sensativity of an uncut guy, but it has gone forever.
    It is barbaric and un needed, but it wont stop in our lifetime because of the two main cultures that use it. The Jews will use influence and politics to stop change and the Muslims will use the threat of disruption and violence, as per.
  • Options
    alan29alan29 Posts: 34,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    duffsdad wrote: »

Generally sex is a tiny part of religions teaching, but a massive part of outsiders preoccupation with religion.
  • Options
    Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Aneechik wrote: »
    It's one of the very few legal things that really ought to be banned. If they want it done, they can do it when they're 18.

which of course wouldn't happen considering its excruciatingly painful. I had it done when i was 5 for medical reasons, i still remember the pain of it.
  • Options
    DadDancerDadDancer Posts: 3,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He can please himself

What is the function?

As i said earlier 'it enhances masturbation and sex and is a very sensitive and pleasurable part of the penis.'
  • Options
    droogiefretdroogiefret Posts: 24,117
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a weird cultural phenomenon in any event. I mean who was the crazy ass who started it all by thinking it was a good idea in the first place? (And please don't say God if you're an atheist because that is a logic fail).

I was putting a search in to see what proportion of men have been circumcised and inadvertently typed 'rick rolled' instead. But that about sums it up for me actually.