Options

Only Connect (BBC2)

Comments

• Options
    davadsdavads Posts: 8,643
    Forum Member
    Nope (well, unless they've changed it very recently).
  • Options
    JeffG1JeffG1 Posts: 15,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SimonK01 wrote: »
    Does it not? I don't watch it a lot, but I thought that people were on for two or three days.

Perhaps you are confusing The Chase with Perfection. Easily done (not) :).
  • Options
    LadyxxmacbethLadyxxmacbeth Posts: 1,868
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well after that dreadful series I'm afraid only connect won't be getting watched unless I can be bothered to remember. It has had it's day. The questions are dire, the contestants are dire and in my personal opinion it started going downhill when they got rid of the Greek letters.
  • Options
    The WulfrunianThe Wulfrunian Posts: 1,312
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well after that dreadful series I'm afraid only connect won't be getting watched unless I can be bothered to remember. It has had it's day. The questions are dire, the contestants are dire and in my personal opinion it started going downhill when they got rid of the Greek letters.

Slightly harsh but sadly not a million miles off the mark
  • Options
    blowupblowup Posts: 1,850
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm late to the thread but anyway.

Glad for the winners - their captain was good and deserved to win. Sadly the guy I liked on the family team didn't really get a look in on the last episode, perhaps unlucky with the questions.

On the winning team, the other two guys really weren't very good. When they saw the anagrams, why didn't one of the passengers punch in the guesses? It seemed like the blonde captain guy was doing everything while the others stood there looking baffled. They could have secured another point if they had offered to take over. I think it was in an earlier heat when the guy to the left of the captain said he lived next door to the woman in the picture but thought it wouldn't be her or something... bet blonde guy was livid! :kitty:

Blonde captain guy looks like Jonathan Cheban (Kardashian related, sorry).

I always thought the format of repeating teams was partly because there wasn't enough quality to go round from the audition process, and partly because, as someone else mentioned, it means good teams can't get unlucky and go out immediately because the questions happened to favour the other team.

Next series sounds like it's going to go on forever! :o
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    blowup wrote: »
    I always thought the format of repeating teams was partly because there wasn't enough quality to go round from the audition process, and partly because, as someone else mentioned, it means good teams can't get unlucky and go out immediately because the questions happened to favour the other team.
    The latter seems like a handy excuse to cover the lack of teams entering/being accepted.
  • Options
    atgatg Posts: 4,260
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it was in an earlier heat when the guy to the left of the captain said he lived next door to the woman in the picture but thought it wouldn't be her or something... bet blonde guy was livid! :kitty:
    I think he just didn't recognise her in the picture.
  • Options
    SimonK01SimonK01 Posts: 136
    Forum Member
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    The latter seems like a handy excuse to cover the lack of teams entering/being accepted.

But that wouldn't explain University Challenge using the same system - as anyone who saw the recent documentary would know, there's no shortage of teams entering that.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    atg wrote: »
    I think he just didn't recognise her in the picture.

Thanks. I couldn't remember his excuse. It must he hard recognising someone who's claim to fame is that they were a runner, in their running gear :kitty:
    (was she a runner? some sort of athlete. I hadn't heard of her)
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    But that wouldn't explain University Challenge using the same system - as anyone who saw the recent documentary would know, there's no shortage of teams entering that.
    UC has the university system as it's base for teams.
    OC is just groups of friends and they need to be smart enough for the type of quiz that OC is. I expect there are a lot more people who choose to go on the more light entertainment quizes like Eggheads, Pointless and the equivalents.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks. I couldn't remember his excuse. It must he hard recognising someone who's claim to fame is that they were a runner, in their running gear
    (was she a runner? some sort of athlete. I hadn't heard of her)
    Was it Anne Packer? She may not have hung around in her GBR kit at home.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    UC has the university system as it's base for teams.
    OC is just groups of friends and they need to be smart enough for the type of quiz that OC is. I expect there are a lot more people who choose to go on the more light entertainment quizes like Eggheads, Pointless and the equivalents.

And of course you can win money on those as well, rather than just glory.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    atg wrote: »
    Was it Anne Packer? She may not have hung around in her GBR kit at home.

But as soon as they said her name he was annoyed at himself and said he lived next door to her. So he obviously knew she was a runner, rather than I lived next door to an Anne Packer once. Obviously I'm not suggesting that she hoovered in her running gear.
    I think it's reasonable to think that if you lived next door to Anne Packer, who you knew was a GB runner, and you saw a picture of a woman that would correspond to the age of Anne Packer, bearing in mind not many people are known as Olympic runners :kitty:, you might just make the connection.
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've been a big fan of OC since the start and it's the only TV quiz that I regularly watch but this has been the weakest series so far - both in terms of the quality of the teams and of the questions. Bring back DavidBod!

I'm concerned that the move to BBC2 will not be good for the show. I can see the Egyptian hieroglyphs going for a start.
  • Options
    pearlsandplumspearlsandplums Posts: 29,586
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LostFool wrote: »
    I've been a big fan of OC since the start and it's the only TV quiz that I regularly watch but this has been the weakest series so far - both in terms of the quality of the teams and of the questions. Bring back DavidBod!

I'm concerned that the move to BBC2 will not be good for the show. I can see the Egyptian hieroglyphs going for a start.

I would like them to lose the Hieroglyphs and go with something more obscure for the new series. Amino acid structures could be an idea
  • Options
    KennyTKennyT Posts: 20,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Chemical Symbols?

"I'll have the Nitrous Oxide, please Victoria!"

K
  • Options
    milkybarnickmilkybarnick Posts: 605
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Good point. UC has had 28 teams for as long as I can remember. However the new system has only been in place for a few years. It seems to give teams who have done well enough to get to the quarters more of a chance (and doesn;'t mean they get knocked out on a bad day, or if the questions are particularly mean one week). It also means it's on from July to April rather than starting in September like it used to, but that's probably beside the point! :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good point. UC has had 28 teams for as long as I can remember. However the new system has only been in place for a few years. It seems to give teams who have done well enough to get to the quarters more of a chance (and doesn;'t mean they get knocked out on a bad day, or if the questions are particularly mean one week). It also means it's on from July to April rather than starting in September like it used to, but that's probably beside the point! :)
    The problem with that hypothesis is that in UC teams have already had to survive 2 straight knock-out rounds by that stage, although they do get a second chance if they are one of the 4 highest scoring first round losers. In fact you can now lose two matches and still win the series, which I think is slightly flawed.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16
    Forum Member
    I would like them to lose the Hieroglyphs and go with something more obscure for the new series. Amino acid structures could be an idea

I seem to recall that in earlier series (first?) they used greek letters so has already been changed once.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I seem to recall that in earlier series (first?) they used greek letters so has already been changed once.
    Nobody's arguing with that. The suggestion was that it should be changed again.
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JeffG1 wrote: »
    Nobody's arguing with that. The suggestion was that it should be changed again.

I wasn't saying that it should be changed - just that I expect it to be one of a few small tweaks to the format for the switch the BBC2.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LostFool wrote: »
    I wasn't saying that it should be changed - just that I expect it to be one of a few small tweaks to the format for the switch the BBC2.

No, you didn't, but the poster quoting your post did, and it was that post that was quoted by the poster I quoted. I hope that's clear :D
  • Options
    jonbwfcjonbwfc Posts: 18,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    IIRC people complained that using greek letters was a bit elitist and snobby because 'normal people' wouldn't know the greek alphabet. It was changed to the Egyptian hieroglyphs as an 'up yours' to those complaints. VCM (or plain old VC as she was then) pretty much even said so on the show.

I don't really see the point of changing them again unless there's some reason to. There's nothing good about change for change's sake. They've become part of the show's identity, there's no more validity in changing them than there is in changing the host. Or the format. Or the title.

The show is pretty much fine as it is. It wouldn't have made it to series 9 or whatever it is if it wasn't. This constant need some people have to 'freshen up' a formula that's working perfectly well by changing things that in fact make no functional difference to the show at all is the worst sort of 'changing something to appear to be being something useful while in fact doing nothing useful at all' and, usually, it has exactly the opposite effect as intended.

It's a middle-management kind of idea and I can give it no more damning praise than that.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    jonbwfc wrote: »
    I don't really see the point of changing them again unless there's some reason to. There's nothing good about change for change's sake. They've become part of the show's identity, there's no more validity in changing them than there is in changing the host. Or the format. Or the title.

Hieroglyphs remain for Series 10 (insider tip - as a contestant, you don't have to remember that that particular squiggle is "two reeds", because the screen you see in the studio has the names of the categories in words rather than images).

Pretty much the only format tweak I can think of for Series 10 is that there are some music questions in round 2 (i.e. you hear three pieces of music and have to say what the fourth will be. If you're really unlucky, VC-M might try and persuade you to sing it...)
  • Options
    TregardTregard Posts: 48
    Forum Member
    Pretty much the only format tweak I can think of for Series 10 is that there are some music questions in round 2 (i.e. you hear three pieces of music and have to say what the fourth will be. If you're really unlucky, VC-M might try and persuade you to sing it...)

Oh lord, I was fearing the day this would happen. These are going to be impossible!