Sloes

sueh21sueh21 Posts: 2,565
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Does anyone know if the supermarkets sell Sloes? Want to make some gin for Christmas and I don't think there are any sloe trees near us.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,470
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Try the home brew shops.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some Waitrose stores sell them, they're in 454g packs.
  • liquidJPliquidJP Posts: 1,999
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Blackthornes grow everywhere, we have loads just round the corner from us in the center of town.
    Head out to the country any hedgerow with have blackthornes.
    BUT!!! And this is important.
    They are not ripe yet, you have to wait until after the first frost, the problem with this is in the last few years by the time the first frost is here they have all been scoffed by birds

I make slow vodka.. sluuuurp!
  • SallysallySallysally Posts: 5,070
    Forum Member
    liquidJP wrote: »
    They are not ripe yet, you have to wait until after the first frost, the problem with this is in the last few years by the time the first frost is here they have all been scoffed by birds

I make slow vodka.. sluuuurp!

I make sloe gin. I collect the sloes well before the first frosts.
    The idea was that the frost softens the skin so that the juice of the sloe comes out easily BUT....

nowadays, you collect when you want and just bung into the freezer! I do keep an eye on them and when they appear ripe (black), then I pick, weigh and put into bags into the freezer to use when needed. This came in really useful last year because there were just no sloes to be had around us - for some reason none of them developed.
  • sueh21sueh21 Posts: 2,565
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for all the replies,looks like I will have to venture into the countryside:)
  • TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,415
    Forum Member
    sueh21 wrote: »
    Thanks for all the replies,looks like I will have to venture into the countryside:)

Look for them in hedgerows and woodland edges - that's where it's easiest to see them with their distinctive purple berries. As far as I know, they are almost invariably used for making sloe gin and not much else.

Raw, they taste bitter [don't go there]. However, they are effectively a seeded wild plum [Prunus spinosa] so I guess they could be used in cookery. It would probably mean boiling up the sloes with an equal amount of sugar and then forcing the mixture though a sieve to get rid of the seeds.

The now seedless sloe/sugar concentrate could be used to make jams or put in cakes but I don't know anyone who's ever tried.
  • ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,603
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I recall from the recipe book my dad used to use for sloe gin, that after the sloes were removed from the gin they could be used for pies etc as the bitterness would be gone.
    He never tried it - but after a few months in with gin & sugar it sounds reasonable...
  • TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,415
    Forum Member
    Shrike wrote: »
    I recall from the recipe book my dad used to use for sloe gin, that after the sloes were removed from the gin they could be used for pies etc as the bitterness would be gone.
    He never tried it - but after a few months in with gin & sugar it sounds reasonable...

...and the consumption of such pies was no doubt said to induce much merriment! :D
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    Look for them in hedgerows and woodland edges - that's where it's easiest to see them with their distinctive purple berries. As far as I know, they are almost invariably used for making sloe gin and not much else.

Raw, they taste bitter [don't go there]. However, they are effectively a seeded wild plum [Prunus spinosa] so I guess they could be used in cookery. It would probably mean boiling up the sloes with an equal amount of sugar and then forcing the mixture though a sieve to get rid of the seeds.

The now seedless sloe/sugar concentrate could be used to make jams or put in cakes but I don't know anyone who's ever tried.

Sloes are not that bitter. I used to eat them as a child. I still would if I saw some about.
  • RevengaRevenga Posts: 11,321
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mmmmm Sloe gin. I didn't make any last year because there were no sloes around, however I believe there are this year, so I'll make enough to last 2 years in case the same happens again! :D:o
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Went to a farmers market today and got a big bag of Damsons so going to have a go at damson gin.Also whilst looking for sloe recipes found Blackberry vodka:)
    hopefully they will turn out well enough for some easy Christmas pressies! (Sorry to mention the C word)
  • Russ_WWFCRuss_WWFC Posts: 1,779
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I went to a pub and asked for a Sloe Gin

45 minutes later he came back with a shot of Gordons!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LOL, have you been waiting long to use that joke?
  • ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,603
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sloes are not that bitter. I used to eat them as a child. I still would if I saw some about.

Are you sure you weren't eating Damsons, Stud?
    Proper sloes are even more bitter (or is it sour?) than lemons. Damsons are much like a small plum.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 620
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Shrike wrote: »

De-stone them if preferred then lay them in melted chocolate (we prefer plain bitter) and leave it to set. Mmmmm almost as good as the sloe gin!!!!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 282
    Forum Member
    We have used the sloes to make sloe gin at least three times over. The flavour lessens each time so a greater concentration, and a longer steeping, is required.

This years sloes in our garden are very dry and wrinkled but full of tannin (the bitterness) so should have plenty of length but the subtlety will be probably be reduced.