Photo ID

thelostonethelostone Posts: 2,697
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Why do so many places ask if you have photo ID like a passport/driving license, I try-ed selling some X-BOX360 games.

I know I need something with my name and address but now they want photo ID and last week I was appalling to Borough District Council they want photo ID as did my local Doctors.

I do not have a passport/driving license, so what can people do that have no photo ID:mad: Are the government trying to get ID cards in:mad:

Comments

• pixel_pixelpixel_pixel Posts: 6,694
    Forum Member
    thelostone wrote: »
    Why do so many places ask if you have photo ID like a passport/driving license, I try-ed selling some X-BOX360 games.

I know I need something with my name and address but now they want photo ID and last week I was appalling to Borough District Council they want photo ID as did my local Doctors.

I do not have a passport/driving license, so what can people do that have no photo ID:mad: Are the government trying to get ID cards in:mad:

You see leaflets saying that they will prove you age if you apply, but i have never seen them in action! This is when ID Cards would have worked.
  • stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why were you so awful to the council? What had they done?
  • thelostonethelostone Posts: 2,697
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    stoatie wrote: »
    Why were you so awful to the council? What had they done?

Soz my bad it should have been apply
  • MadamfluffMadamfluff Posts: 3,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ok I am going to write a long post re this subject on how there is no legal requirement to actually have photo iD and ergo there can be no legal requirement to show photo ID

And I will tell you chapter and verse what I have done in your situation only I have got to go out so will post at 10pm OR if you prefer I can PM you

This is something I feel strongly about and have a lot of information to help you
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Madamfluff wrote: »
    Ok I am going to write a long post re this subject on how there is no legal requirement to actually have photo iD and ergo there can be no legal requirement to show photo ID

And I will tell you chapter and verse what I have done in your situation only I have got to go out so will post at 10pm OR if you prefer I can PM you

This is something I feel strongly about and have a lot of information to help you

It makes my so mad the need for Photo ID Do you need photo ID when apply for a job, what other things will they say you need photo ID for next:mad:
    Could I have the information plz
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,566
    Forum Member

Or, just carry your bloody driving licence around with you.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 225
    Forum Member
    LemonGrove wrote: »
    Yes that thing everyone has.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

What if you dont have a driving license or a passport.
    Its just not right or fair this photo ID thing:mad:
    Forum Member
    Talky Tiki wrote: »
    Yes that thing everyone has.

Yes, that thing that most people can apply for.
    What if you dont have a driving license or a passport.
    Its just not right or fair this photo ID thing:mad:

Then apply for one. You don't need to actually drive. It would solve your problem nice and easily.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, that thing that most people can apply for.

Then apply for one. You don't need to actually drive. It would solve your problem nice and easily.

But why should people have to do that just to sell thing and apply for things:mad:
    Forum Member
    But why should people have to do that just to sell thing and apply for things:mad:

I'm not saying it's perfect. But you can either try and change the world, or just carry some simple photo ID.
  • nanscombenanscombe Posts: 16,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I see the Government training is working well.
  • Landdrifter24Landdrifter24 Posts: 206
    Forum Member
    Well id be buggered as i have NO photo identification whatsoever
  • Bedsit BobBedsit Bob Posts: 24,344
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well id be buggered as i have NO photo identification whatsoever

Proof that you don't need photo ID for anal sex. :p
  • valkayvalkay Posts: 15,726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I have just had to pay a motoring fine and had to present my licence together with payment. However the Plastic, computerised, photographic licence isn't good enough, you also have to show the paper thingy that goes with it. I didn't know I had one but apparently you have to carry it as well as the plastic if you should need to show the police or even to hire a car. I used to have a red cardboard licence which served the same purpose as these two together.:confused:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OK
    I will try to be brief as its late

If you are a UK citizen
    You do not have to have photo ID, you only need a passport of you plan to leave the country, you only need a DL if you drive therefore there is no legal requirement to have photo ID and no legal requirement to show photo ID

The fact that as UK citizen who has no photo ID I sold my flat and bought a house and retained a solicitor all of which they say you must have photo ID for (money laundering regs)
    bears my statement out.

The fact that I have got a job without a passport by showing ID from a list that the border agency (who control these things) accept as an 'excuse' for my employer to employ me, also bears this out.

Now your GP surgery

In Feb 2010 I registered with a GP on the isle of Wight, I was not asked for a passport

A week later my Sister tried to register with a GP in Hounslow and they refused her as she had no passport.

I went with her to the practise she wanted and spoke to the practise manager.

This is what happened
    First of she said it was a legal requirement and standard with all GPs - I gave her my GPs address and phone no and told her this is the GP I registered with with no photo ID therefore your statement is untrue.

She then said it was to ensure that the practise does not discriminate against non uk citizens by asking for the same ID for everyone.

I pointed out that my sister is a uk citizen and showed her the list from the border agency and all her ID, I pointed out that if the GP will only accept a passport and not the paper ID then that is discrimination against a UK citizen who had ID which is accepted by other agencies

I also pointed out that the surgery can only refuse to accept a patient if their list is full (it wasnt we checked their website) or if my Sister did not live in the catchment area - she did.

She started huffing a bit, so I told her we were going to complain to the local health authority which has a legal duty to allocate a GP surgery to my Sister, and they would have to do this with or without photo ID, therefore the surgery may well have to accept my Sister anyway if the health authority required them to

In our case we waited to see one of the GP partners who accepted her onto the list.

Sorry cant help with your council but it may help to use not legally required to have photo ID not legally required to show photo iD and see where it gets you.
  • burnesideburneside Posts: 2,951
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Don't you need to have passed a test before they will give you a licence?
    Forum Member
    burneside wrote: »
    Don't you need to have passed a test before they will give you a licence?

A provisional licence is still photo ID.
    OK
    I will try to be brief as its late

If you are a UK citizen
    You do not have to have photo ID, you only need a passport of you plan to leave the country, you only need a DL if you drive therefore there is no legal requirement to have photo ID and no legal requirement to show photo ID

The fact that as UK citizen who has no photo ID I sold my flat and bought a house and retained a solicitor all of which they say you must have photo ID for (money laundering regs)
    bears my statement out.

The fact that I have got a job without a passport by showing ID from a list that the border agency (who control these things) accept as an 'excuse' for my employer to employ me, also bears this out.

Now your GP surgery

In Feb 2010 I registered with a GP on the isle of Wight, I was not asked for a passport

A week later my Sister tried to register with a GP in Hounslow and they refused her as she had no passport.

I went with her to the practise she wanted and spoke to the practise manager.

This is what happened
    First of she said it was a legal requirement and standard with all GPs - I gave her my GPs address and phone no and told her this is the GP I registered with with no photo ID therefore your statement is untrue.

She then said it was to ensure that the practise does not discriminate against non uk citizens by asking for the same ID for everyone.

I pointed out that my sister is a uk citizen and showed her the list from the border agency and all her ID, I pointed out that if the GP will only accept a passport and not the paper ID then that is discrimination against a UK citizen who had ID which is accepted by other agencies

I also pointed out that the surgery can only refuse to accept a patient if their list is full (it wasnt we checked their website) or if my Sister did not live in the catchment area - she did.

She started huffing a bit, so I told her we were going to complain to the local health authority which has a legal duty to allocate a GP surgery to my Sister, and they would have to do this with or without photo ID, therefore the surgery may well have to accept my Sister anyway if the health authority required them to

In our case we waited to see one of the GP partners who accepted her onto the list.

Sorry cant help with your council but it may help to use not legally required to have photo ID not legally required to show photo iD and see where it gets you.

So basically, if you behave like a complete and utter arse all the time you can make it through life without photo ID is your advice?
  • TomGrantTomGrant Posts: 4,251
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

So basically, if you behave like a complete and utter arse all the time you can make it through life without photo ID is your advice?

haha :D
  • Richard46Richard46 Posts: 59,830
    Forum Member
    I had a mildly amusing run in with Santander last week while trying to open a savings account in my own and my wifes name. They wanted ID from a list that included passport, driving licence, a birth cert if she was under 18 or proof that she was on benefits! She does not drive and her passport is out date she works and obviously she is over 18.

I pointed out that she was being treated unfairly compared with a foreign national, someone who is out of work and anyone under 18.
    They eventually realised I am a complete PITA and accepted a copy of her P60 and a council tax statement.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,223
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I haven't read any replies, but I'd hazard a guess you're selling to Cash Generator or the likes.

They're okay for a quick buck if desperate, but otherwise you're far better selling 'for free' in the local paper or putting and ad in the shop.

They ask for I.D in case the goods get reported stolen, even after sales, they can be traced back to you.
  • nanscombenanscombe Posts: 16,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

No, I read it as, if you want to behave like a complete and utter jobsworth, who is capable of telling untruths to get your way, work for a GPs surgery. But don't be surprised if you are called out on it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Oh really

If standing up for my LEGAL rights is being an @rse guilty as charged.

As Richard46 pointed refusing services to a UK citizen without a passport whilst providing those services to a foreign national who HAS to have a passport to enter the country in the first place is discrimination.

Now I dont know about you but I like to challenge discrimination does that make me an @rse? if so also guilty as charged.

Now yes there are certain things I may not be able to do without photo ID as another poster as said things like cash converters, or gaining entrance into some manky overpriced club or buying my JD from one of those think 25 clowns but thats my choice.

However access to health provision is my right, access to employment is my right. being able to sell my own home is my right, acessing my own money from my bank is my right, access to legal advise is my right, any body who attempts
    to stop me from having the above by demanding I have a passport when I dont actually need one is discriminating against me no ifs or buts.

You may be some stupid sheep like drone who happily gives our their papers to any ill trained officious idiot that demands them if so good luck to you, I have more to me than that.
  • Chasing ShadowsChasing Shadows Posts: 3,096
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Driving licences only had photos attached since 1998. I passed my test in 1984. Everybody I know passed their test more than a decade before photo licences became available. So how does any of us carrying our driving licences around with us help?

(BTW - it costs twenty quid to upgrade from your current paper licence to one with a photo attached - so don't just suggest that we all go and do that.)
  • SigurdSigurd Posts: 26,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Driving licences only had photos attached since 1998. I passed my test in 1984. Everybody I know passed their test more than a decade before photo licences became available. So how does any of us carrying our driving licences around with us help?

(BTW - it costs twenty quid to upgrade from your current paper licence to one with a photo attached - so don't just suggest that we all go and do that.)
    Though if you've changed your name or address you can upgrade from a paper licence without having to pay a fee. See Change your name or address on your driving licence on this page:

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/DriverLicensing/NeedANewOrUpdatedLicence/DG_4022089

Of course you'd still have to pay for a photograph, though, but that doesn't cost much from a photobooth.