Options

The Village (John Simm, Maxine Peake) - coming soon

ericpodeericpode Posts: 254
Forum Member
I noticed there is now a trailer for the new big-budget historical series "The Village" - it was broadcast last night on BBC1.

The trailer said "coming soon" - does anyone know the broadcast dates yet?

Comments

• Options
    moondewmoondew Posts: 565
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ericpode wrote: »
    I noticed there is now a trailer for the new big-budget historical series "The Village" - it was broadcast last night on BBC1.

It looks really good - it spans the 20th century and follows the lives of the inhabitants of a village in Cumbria. I don't know when it starts, it doesn't say on the beeb site.
  • Options
    CressidaCressida Posts: 3,218
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I only know The Village is to be broadcast on BBC 1 in 2013. Sorry not to be more helpful but hopefully it is coming soon.
  • Options
    CressidaCressida Posts: 3,218
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gerard Gilbert of The Independent reported yesterday ‘The Village' will begin on Easter Sunday on BBC1, he’s not given a time.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thanks. Just found the article here that says Easter Sunday:

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/tv/features/a-very-british-heimat-will-bbc-drama-the-village-be-as-epic-as-the-german-saga-8533200.html

I've managed to read the whole script for the first episode - seems great! Really looking forward to it! :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    OK now we know - it's Easter Sunday at 9pm.

:):):)
  • Options
    shandersshanders Posts: 5,907
    Forum Member
    It looks awesome from the trailer.
  • Options
    Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    Read about this the other day in the Observer, also had a small piece on the chap it's 'based on'.
    Providing they get the full commission it'll be 42 parts.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Yes, I believe they shot the first 2 series in parallel.

The theme tune is sung by Beck Goldsmith - you can listen to it and view the trailer from her website:

http://www.beckgoldsmith.co.uk/bbc-trailer-the-village/

... a pity whoever uploaded it to YouTube chopped off the first couple of secs.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I think this is the Observer article you mentioned:

http://m.guardian.co.uk/media/2013/mar/17/bbc1-edale-the-village
  • Options
    Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    I think this is the Observer article you mentioned:

http://m.guardian.co.uk/media/2013/mar/17/bbc1-edale-the-village

Yup, that's it, could only remember the chaps name was Cooper.
    I just hope the DS nit pickers don't go into overdrive when it actually starts airing.
    'The isolators on that telegraph pole are from the wrong year, those didn't come in until...'
  • Options
    Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like John Simm, this might be good.
  • Options
    maddiesdoormaddiesdoor Posts: 828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is on tonight :0
  • Options
    TrishaSTrishaS Posts: 3,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought it was set in the Peak District :( I know it was filmed there at Edale.
  • Options
    bramley29bramley29 Posts: 238
    Forum Member
    I think it sounds awful - the sort of old-fashioned, earnest, depressing series that Monty Python parodied so well. Prepare to be guilt-ridden and thoroughly depressed
  • Options
    NaturalDancerNaturalDancer Posts: 5,152
    Forum Member
    The problem is that for some reason ITV are putting Foyle's War on earlier and it clashes with The Village. As FW is on for 2 hours you can't simply watch it on ITV1+1 and while I could record TV I've got a feeling there's something else on I want to record. So it looks like I may have to watch an hour of FW, turn over and watch TV then back to ITV1+1 to watch the last hour of FW :( what a faff. Otherwise watch TV on iPlayer.
  • Options
    NaturalDancerNaturalDancer Posts: 5,152
    Forum Member
    I just hope the DS nit pickers don't go into overdrive when it actually starts airing.
    'The isolators on that telegraph pole are from the wrong year, those didn't come in until...'

Hahahaha, fat chance of that not happening. ;)
  • Options
    ChrissieAOChrissieAO Posts: 5,143
    Forum Member
    The problem is that for some reason ITV are putting Foyle's War on earlier and it clashes with The Village. As FW is on for 2 hours you can't simply watch it on ITV1+1 and while I could record TV I've got a feeling there's something else on I want to record. So it looks like I may have to watch an hour of FW, turn over and watch TV then back to ITV1+1 to watch the last hour of FW :( what a faff. Otherwise watch TV on iPlayer.

Then there are those who are watching Labyrinth..all in all a good night's TV. As I have already seen that, I will be watching The Village and recording Foyle's War...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Long preview from creator Peter Moffat on the RT website. Sounds ambitious to say the least.

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2013-03-31/the-village-was-inspired-by-talking-to-my-dying-father
    The series opens in 1914 with the arrival of the first bus in the village. Martha Lane, beautiful and headstrong, steps off the bus. She is a catalyst for change. The life of the village will never be the same again.

The ambition is that the series will end 100 years and 42 episodes later. The idea is to tell the big stories of the century through the small lives of the people in this single village. Two world wars, the Roaring Twenties, the Great Depression, austerity, the sexual revolution, all refracted through the characters in The Village.
  • Options
    VerenceVerence Posts: 104,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    bramley29 wrote: »
    I think it sounds awful - the sort of old-fashioned, earnest, depressing series that Monty Python parodied so well. Prepare to be guilt-ridden and thoroughly depressed

Probably aiming for some Gritty Baftas

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-HXaj2IYYn8
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Quite right!

Who wants "production values" these days?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,517
    Forum Member

I did read that the directors only chose two out of eight locals as extras as the others had the wrong hair style or tattoos so they are making an effort. We will still get the nit pickers , but can you imagine if they had an ethnic minority character in a Cumbrian village in 1914, DS would go into overdrive
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its not set in Cumbria
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    david1955 wrote: »
    I did read that the directors only chose two out of eight locals as extras as the others had the wrong hair style or tattoos so they are making an effort. We will still get the nit pickers , but can you imagine if they had an ethnic minority character in a Cumbrian village in 1914, DS would go into overdrive

Sometimes I find the criticisms of a few obvious mistakes in dramas, more interesting than the programmes themselves.
    If people enjoyed it, why all fuss about those who point this out?
    It's just a programme on TV.

Some mistake this board for a collection of programme and actor's fan club threads. It ain't.
  • Options
    my name is joemy name is joe Posts: 4,450
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TrishaS wrote: »
    Its not set in Cumbria

it is. it's not filmed in cumbria you mean...they're 2 different things

remember it's a drama not a documentary;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, according to todays papers, and online stuff, it is set in Derbyshire. Just going by that:confused: