Options

Top Of The Pops 1979 (BBC4)

Comments

• Options
    ServalanServalan Posts: 10,167
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Canalboy wrote: »
    It's interesting how the pinkoes can decide that endless documentaries about the dead Adolf Hitler (they can't include Stalin as there isn't enough footage to satisfy the slavering jaws of the tv execs, plus he was a Guardian subscriber manqué) are ok, yet a man who never killed anyone can be vaporised from our screens. Is the occasional quick shot of a dead man who abused children going to change anything, or amount to an homage? Nope.

The Left have always had a "we know better than you" induced infantalism.

Why is it 'pinkoes' and 'the Left' who are dictating whether or not JS is erased from history?

Because I don't see any 'pinkoes' or representatives from 'the Left' in the newspapers using his activities to aggressively attack the BBC ...

The BBC's response isn't dictated by its politics. It's dictated by its spinelessness.
  • Options
    Robbie01Robbie01 Posts: 10,442
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Canalboy wrote: »
    It's interesting how the pinkoes can decide that endless documentaries about the dead Adolf Hitler (they can't include Stalin as there isn't enough footage to satisfy the slavering jaws of the tv execs, plus he was a Guardian subscriber manqué) are ok, yet a man who never killed anyone can be vaporised from our screens. Is the occasional quick shot of a dead man who abused children going to change anything, or amount to an homage? Nope.

The Left have always had a "we know better than you" induced infantalism.
    Eh? What on earth has Jimmy Savile got to do with left wingers and "pinkoes"? :confused:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,043
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Robbie01 wrote: »
    I think it would be impossible to celebrate 50 years of Top Of The Pops without Jimmy Savile being featured. The BBC would be onto a loser if they even tried to do a programme without JS being featured. At the end of the day he was one of the most important persons involved in TOTP history.

Yes and shouldnt be ignored either just because of these allegations. If people dont like it they dont have to watch it! The BBC would probably just be better off burning every single TOTP master tape they have if they wont make use of the footage.
  • Options
    SillyBoyBlueSillyBoyBlue Posts: 3,265
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Regarding the Mod revival... it's true that it was very big among younger people in 1979 who had missed out on punk. I remember having an argument with a mod who told me punk was old-fashioned (said he, dressed in 15-year-old fashions!) There were a lot of pubs doing mod nights in London and you'd see a lot of nu-mods in the high street, especially after Quadrophenia had come out (a major influence that I don't think has been touched on in this discussion).

But the thing is, they were listening to 'authentic' mod music, stuff from the 60s, and weren't really interested in the new mod bands like the Merton Parkas, who were seen by the nu-mods as bandwagon-jumpers (oh, the irony). So the scene was barely reflected in the music charts of the time.

By 1981 many of the mods had, like their originators in the 60s, graduated to paisley shirts and had started listening to Freakbeat, which bridged the gap between mod r&b and psychedelia.
  • Options
    corriandercorriander Posts: 6,207
    Forum Member
    Regarding the Mod revival... it's true that it was very big among younger people in 1979 who had missed out on punk. I remember having an argument with a mod who told me punk was old-fashioned (said he, dressed in 15-year-old fashions!) There were a lot of pubs doing mod nights in London and you'd see a lot of nu-mods in the high street, especially after Quadrophenia had come out (a major influence that I don't think has been touched on in this discussion).

But the thing is, they were listening to 'authentic' mod music, stuff from the 60s, and weren't really interested in the new mod bands like the Merton Parkas, who were seen by the nu-mods as bandwagon-jumpers (oh, the irony). So the scene was barely reflected in the music charts of the time.

By 1981 many of the mods had, like their originators in the 60s, graduated to paisley shirts and had started listening to Freakbeat, which bridged the gap between mod r&b and psychedelia.[/QUOTE

Welcome to the thread. Fascinating post. I am not yet able to differentiate between mods and punks with much knowledge, but I am not sure that 1979 mods became so because they had just missed punk. There will be loads of discussions on this over the next year so we will be able to explore it some more.

Freakbeat is a new one on me. I reckon I need to get ahold of Simon Press's book on the music of this Post-Punk period. What bands were freskbeat? I should like to know.:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Servalan wrote: »
    Why is it 'pinkoes' and 'the Left' who are dictating whether or not JS is erased from history?

Because I don't see any 'pinkoes' or representatives from 'the Left' in the newspapers using his activities to aggressively attack the BBC ...

The BBC's response isn't dictated by its politics. It's dictated by its spinelessness.

I entirely agree.:)
  • Options
    ServalanServalan Posts: 10,167
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    corriander wrote: »

By 1981 many of the mods had, like their originators in the 60s, graduated to paisley shirts and had started listening to Freakbeat, which bridged the gap between mod r&b and psychedelia.[/QUOTE

Welcome to the thread. Fascinating post. I am not yet able to differentiate between mods and punks with much knowledge, but I am not sure that 1979 mods became so because they had just missed punk. There will be loads of discussions on this over the next year so we will be able to explore it some more.

Freakbeat is a new one on me. I reckon I need to get ahold of Simon Press's book on the music of this Post-Punk period. What bands were freskbeat? I should like to know.:)

BIB - see my earlier post (:blush:): Secret Affair used to be a new wave group. They hadn't missed punk at all - they came from it.
  • Options
    Raven_CrowRaven_Crow Posts: 32
    Forum Member
    China Girl wrote: »
    I've just remembered that Since You've Been Gone by Rainbow is from 1979. loved that record. I saw Rainbow live and they were fantastic, what a voice Graham Bonnet had.

'Since you've been gone' was out when I broke up with a boyfriend and loved it in a heart-broken poignant sort of way. The other record that takes me back to that time is 'Chiqquitita' by ABBA, I was feeling really down when it was played in a shop I was in and I found the line 'Chiquitita you and I cry .... but the sun is still in the sky and shining above you' very uplifting. I'm not ABBA's biggest fan but I still have a fondness for that song which always cheers me up. 35 years ago ... eek! Looking forward to the series.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Perhaps that was an over-generalisation, but the feeling was among teenagers I knew around that time was that punk was over once it had become popular (wearing expensive bondage outfits was seen as 'not punk'); 14-15 yr.olds wanted something new, even if the 'new' was a revival of something old. It's one of the differences between teen fashions of the 60s-70s-80s, and the situation we have nowadays; back then trends changed much faster and generation gaps existed between older & younger siblings - these days fashions hang around forever like a bad smell (I mean, wearing your jeans down past your arse is still happening, nearly twenty years since it first appeared in the mainstream)

Freakbeat is a bit of a nebulous term, mainly referring to 60s Uk garage rock, when the sort of straight-ahead R&B of the mid-60s bands began to distort with fuzz guitars and echo effects; not quite full-blown psychedelia but bridging the gap.

(Here's a typical example - 'Making Time' by The Creation:
    http://youtu.be/NanaVb77plI )
  • Options
    UrsulaUUrsulaU Posts: 7,239
    Forum Member
    Yes Happy 50th TOTP!! :)

At least the reruns are still continuing despite everything! :(

By the way - how do you get the younguns interested in 70s & 80s music? My 19 year old nephew ( who knows I watch The TOTP reruns ) told me that he thinks the 70s was the worst time for music!! WHAAT? :o - Obviously doesn't have my genes! :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had my 18th birthday in May 1979... so did I go out partying? Get drunk? No. I went round a friend's house and watched TOTP, which featured Sparks doing Number One Song In Heaven.

I have an atrocious memory but I always remember that for some reason. Looking forward to seeing it again (that is, as long as Mike Read isn't Yewtreed...)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Perhaps that was an over-generalisation, but the feeling was among teenagers I knew around that time was that punk was over once it had become popular (wearing expensive bondage outfits was seen as 'not punk'); 14-15 yr.olds wanted something new, even if the 'new' was a revival of something old. It's one of the differences between teen fashions of the 60s-70s-80s, and the situation we have nowadays; back then trends changed much faster and generation gaps existed between older & younger siblings - these days fashions hang around forever like a bad smell (I mean, wearing your jeans down past your arse is still happening, nearly twenty years since it first appeared in the mainstream)

Freakbeat is a bit of a nebulous term, mainly referring to 60s Uk garage rock, when the sort of straight-ahead R&B of the mid-60s bands began to distort with fuzz guitars and echo effects; not quite full-blown psychedelia but bridging the gap.

(Here's a typical example - 'Making Time' by The Creation:
    http://youtu.be/NanaVb77plI )

Now you are talking. OMG. If this is the Creation, that did Painter Man, I am hooked on this freakbeat.:)

It was very much a mark of status, which group you belonged to, and it was important to be authentic. Whichever group you belonged to it had to be authentic; it had to be the real thing.:)

I was one of the ten per cent of the population who went to uni so I was never the real thing.:confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    UrsulaU wrote: »

By the way - how do you get the younguns interested in 70s & 80s music? My 19 year old nephew ( who knows I watch The TOTP reruns ) told me that he thinks the 70s was the worst time for music!! WHAAT? :o - Obviously doesn't have my genes! :(

He'll learn.:o

You will have to teach him.:cool:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    OMG. It is that Creation.

It was 318,000 view on Youtube. Where have I been all my life to miss this Freakbeat?:confused::o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It seems every year this TOTP forum gains and loses members for each year! :confused:

1977 had members who disappeared in 1978 and 1979 has gained members who weren't here in 1978!! :o
  • Options
    Rich Tea.Rich Tea. Posts: 22,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    UrsulaU wrote: »

A complete contrast to myself when I was 19, when I believed that the very time I was living in at that age, well the year in particular, 1988, was the worst time ever for music. I have never changed my mind from living in the moment and thinking it, all the way to this day.

Good point about thread posters and the different years Ursula! I do wish one of my favourite sparring partners on this thread during the second half of the 1977 editions would come back after vanishing for virtually the whole of 1978 so suddenly. Whatever happened to you Highlander1969? Come back for 1979.

A yellow Ford Cortina in the TOTP studio anyone? On a pick up to an address at 83 Royal Gardens quite soon! ;-)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1
    Forum Member

It was 318,000 view on Youtube. Where have I been all my life to miss this Freakbeat?:confused::o

I'm another new poster this year. Have enjoyed reading comments on here for over a year now and decided it was time to post.

If you enjoyed The Creation you should listen to the Nuggets 2 box set. It is the British version of the original Nuggets series and should appeal. Try this for a taster http://youtu.be/KF-Ow87zMIY :cool:

I was 15 in 79 and just beginning to venture out to see live bands. Having lived in Central London a regular haunt was the Marquee. Great gigs in the most sweaty atmosphere. But it was the mod revival that made me what I am today. It was not short lived, Tony Class a DJ from South London kept me busy for years, regular nights out, but as a previous post mentioned they were club nights not live bands.
    Other bands with a mod touch from this era were the excellent Nine Below Zero & The Q.Tips. 60s influences abound.

Sorry I got a bit carried away with my 1st comment on here. :D

B.A.T.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Welcome to the thread BoyAboutTown! :)

A lot of people, myself included, were long time readers (lurkers) of this thread until we could resist no more and joined DS so we could contribute.

Tonight at 9pm on BBC4 officially kicks off 1979 at 9pm.

(Big dilemma though. The Story Of 1979 or Celeb Big Brother? It should be a no brainer I know.) :(
  • Options
    China GirlChina Girl Posts: 2,760
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Was that Driver 67 Rich Tea?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I'm another new poster this year. Have enjoyed reading comments on here for over a year now and decided it was time to post.

If you enjoyed The Creation you should listen to the Nuggets 2 box set. It is the British version of the original Nuggets series and should appeal. Try this for a taster http://youtu.be/KF-Ow87zMIY :cool:

I was 15 in 79 and just beginning to venture out to see live bands. Having lived in Central London a regular haunt was the Marquee. Great gigs in the most sweaty atmosphere. But it was the mod revival that made me what I am today. It was not short lived, Tony Class a DJ from South London kept me busy for years, regular nights out, but as a previous post mentioned they were club nights not live bands.
    Other bands with a mod touch from this era were the excellent Nine Below Zero & The Q.Tips. 60s influences abound.

Sorry I got a bit carried away with my 1st comment on here. :D

B.A.T.
    Yes, welcome to the thread. Thanks for starting with such an interesting post. This is all quite new to me, so I am really interested in people's anecdotes and stories.:)

I know I have one of the Nuggets. I may not have Nuggets 2; so I had better get it if not.:)

I do have a boxed set called "The In-Crowd.":)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was indeed. I knew somebody would get the answer promptly.

That record had crept into No40 this week in 1979, therefore on the chart of next weeks first show from 4/1/79, and I looked it's Wikipedia entry up which is quite interesting. It has another one of those "they couldn't press enough copies" stories with it, thus preventing it from making No1 and letting it languish at No7 instead, allegedly. I'll take that with a pinch of salt. So many pop music sales urban myths in my opinion, and it read like yet another to me.
  • Options
    Forum Member

Yes it was - and I loved that song! Can't wait to see it on TOTP soon! :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Rich Tea. wrote: »
    Good point about thread posters and the different years Ursula! I do wish one of my favourite sparring partners on this thread during the second half of the 1977 editions would come back after vanishing for virtually the whole of 1978 so suddenly. Whatever happened to you Highlander1969? Come back for 1979.

A yellow Ford Cortina in the TOTP studio anyone? On a pick up to an address at 83 Royal Gardens quite soon! ;-)

Yes - I'm beginning to think people genuinely come and go depending on their taste in music! Maybe Highlander loved the mid 70s (up to 1977) - but wasn't so keen on the late 70s etc etc...

Personally, I'll be here until at least 1985 (if it lasts that long) - however, there are probably forum members on here who LOVE the 70s and hate the 80s or HATE the 70s but love the 80s and so will come and go as and when! ;-)

Yay Car 67! :D
  • Options
    EraserheadEraserhead Posts: 22,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

And Alan McGee was such a big fan that he named his record company after the band.

As for the mod revival, I have to say it was never my scene at all. It seemed that all the "rough" kids were into 2 Tone, ska etc. and it felt like a real class thing to me. By 1979 my interest was gravitating towards the new synthesiser sounds and although Gary Numan broke through hardly anyone I knew had heard of Ultravox, the Human League or OMD at this time (mind you, Ultravox were still quite post-punk then, although tracks like The Quiet Men were pointing towards a new direction).
  • Options
    alcockellalcockell Posts: 25,160
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Here we go...
This discussion has been closed.