"First World Problems"

2»

Comments

• Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    epicurian wrote: »
    I can agree it's a rather obnoxious turn of phrase, but sometimes it's apt. Like when someone demands a refund from a till operator who glanced at their newspaper.

After giving some thought, I think, using that particular issue as an example, that there's certainly a time and a place to say "Sorry but I think that's a massive overreaction" because it's kind of coming from a more personal opinion.

Simply posting "first world problems" is obviously still a personal opinion, but it's the dismissive smugness of it that really grates my cheese ..
  • Options
    Dan SetteDan Sette Posts: 5,816
    Forum Member
    shackfan wrote: »
    Ironic post of the year. Ranting about a throw away lighthearted statement really is a "first world problem". I doubt many in Iraq, Syria, etc are likely to be upset by such a trivial thing.

Agreed, and an amazingly circular rant.

I first world problem rant about a first world problem phrase is certainly a first world problem issue

Errrrrrr, Nurse! I've exploded my brain again.
  • Options
    epicurianepicurian Posts: 19,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    After giving some thought, I think, using that particular issue as an example, that there's certainly a time and a place to say "Sorry but I think that's a massive overreaction" because it's kind of coming from a more personal opinion.

Simply posting "first world problems" is obviously still a personal opinion, but it's the dismissive smugness of it that really grates my cheese ..

I suppose one man's dismissive smugness is another man's concise.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,510
    Forum Member
    Not sure I understand the thread but I love the phrase.
    The only phrase I hate and its mostly on here you fid it "google is your friend".. would one apply that in RL to someone asking a question?
    i.e how was Greece? Reply... "if you want to know what Greece is like google is your friend"
  • Options
    Joseph_McDonaldJoseph_McDonald Posts: 175
    Forum Member
    I've used it and just to defend the context, when I add that particular hashtag, I'm acknowledging that in the grand scheme of things, the bus being late (for example) isn't a huge problem because there are alternatives but it is really annoying because I'm late for work or whatever.

Now I've typed that out, I can see why people see that as smug. Not sure I totally agree but I see your viewpoints.
  • Options
    daniellehdanielleh Posts: 7,852
    Forum Member
    Maybe I've misunderstood the point of "First World Problems", but isn't it something you say about yourself and an inconvenience, rather than to put someone else's inconvenience into perspective?

For example, someone might say, "The food was lovely, but the portion sizes were too big - a first world problem, I know" or a tweet might read, "Power just cut off for two minutes. Wifi was down. #FirstWorldProblem".

I always assumed it to be a way of laughing at everyday problems, rather than trying to make someone realise that they have it much better than other people. Maybe I'm wrong, I did only find out what #NoFilter means recently, so maybe I'm not up to date.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,510
    Forum Member
    ..I will quote what my daughter (17) has just said "aww man ive gotta use my iPhone cause my ipads not working"... followed but some strops and a massive huff
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,692
    Forum Member
    I get vodka in goulash of belonging to mine. OMG. #SecondWorldProblems
  • Options
    Bob_WhingerBob_Whinger Posts: 1,098
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh, the irony, the irony.
  • Options
    Blondie XBlondie X Posts: 28,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Interesting. Most of the time I've heard people say it they're referring to themselves and some mishap or issue they're grappling over. I guess if said in the context you describe (directed at others) I can see why it would probably grate a bit.

Yep me too. I've only heard someone use it about their own minor issue or to take the p out of a mate throwing a wobbly about something trivial. For example, it was said to my mate last week when she had a meltdown over the shoes she 'HAD TO' have being out of stock, despite the fact she already owns over 100 pairs - she laughed and agreed :)
  • Options
    KJ44KJ44 Posts: 38,093
    Forum Member
    The only phrase I hate and its mostly on here you fid it "google is your friend".. would one apply that in RL to someone asking a question?

I use it, sparingly. If someone asks a question that could be easily answered on the first page of a Google search they're being lazy and taking us for granted.

I'd use it in real life (meatspace!) if the person was in front of a computer at work, for sure.
  • Options
    KJ44KJ44 Posts: 38,093
    Forum Member
    GeoBa92 wrote: »
    I get vodka in goulash of belonging to mine. OMG. #SecondWorldProblems

Earthlings #thirdworldproblems
    Martians #fourthworldproblems
    Plutonians #notevenaplanetanymoreyoubstardshateus
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    danielleh wrote: »
    Maybe I've misunderstood the point of "First World Problems", but isn't it something you say about yourself and an inconvenience, rather than to put someone else's inconvenience into perspective?

For example, someone might say, "The food was lovely, but the portion sizes were too big - a first world problem, I know" or a tweet might read, "Power just cut off for two minutes. Wifi was down. #FirstWorldProblem".

I always assumed it to be a way of laughing at everyday problems, rather than trying to make someone realise that they have it much better than other people. Maybe I'm wrong, I did only find out what #NoFilter means recently, so maybe I'm not up to date.

I can completely get on board with this notion. Using it in a self depricating manner about stuff you're going through works fine and I don't have an issue with that - it's about my level of humour anyway.
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    no, it's the notion that some people can't seem to grasp the concept that just because you might have a problem about something that is most likely insignificant in the grand scheme of things that you might not be displaying what they deem as the appropriate level of concern for "real" problems.

People are fully entitled to rant about the "little" things if they want to - compassion and empathy aren't finite resources to be dished out accordingly. believe it or not, it's possible to rant about a coat hanger snapping and still be concerned about what's going on in the world.

[/rant 2: the re-rantening]

at least get it right if you're going to refer to me. it's "anti-religion tufty club" actually :D
    The phase may be factually correct when used.
    We live in the first world and we're having a moan about first world problems.

Then the phrase doesn't have to be used as it's just explaining the obvious.
    "Yes, it is a first world problem. What's your point?"
  • Options
    AxtolAxtol Posts: 8,480
    Forum Member
    Is this one of the most smug, arrogant, up yourself phrases you've ever heard ?

I fully appreciate I may be having an old man moment mind, but I just have this mental image of the sort of person who takes it upon themselves to share this nugget of insight as being a typically smarmy, self centred git who would likely tell you off if you dropped a sweet wrapper.

And no, you won't get any points for being the first person to post that exact phrase here either !

[/rant]

Just because other people have worse problems than us it doesn't mean that our problems should be dismissed. I still feel justified moaning about stubbing my toe even though I know there's hundreds of people in hospital with life threatening injuries that far eclipse my minor and very short temporary pain. I don't have a problem with the phrase being directed at people who make out that they have a much bigger problem than they do for example it's the end of the world because I lost the remote now I have to get up and change the channel on the tv.
  • Options
    3Sheets2TheWind3Sheets2TheWind Posts: 3,028
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is this one of the most smug, arrogant, up yourself phrases you've ever heard ?

I fully appreciate I may be having an old man moment mind, but I just have this mental image of the sort of person who takes it upon themselves to share this nugget of insight as being a typically smarmy, self centred git who would likely tell you off if you dropped a sweet wrapper.

And no, you won't get any points for being the first person to post that exact phrase here either !

[/rant]

Cool story, bro!
  • Options
    jenziejenzie Posts: 20,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    first world forum problems :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's certainly a dilemma of the developed nations
    :D Ha ha.
    Not sure I understand the thread but I love the phrase.
    i.e how was Greece? Reply... "if you want to know what Greece is like google is your friend"
    Sometimes it is very obviously used on here when people make a statement they have absolutely no way of supporting. They hope that it will make people assume that they have a source for it. "80% of crime in the UK is committed by people with red hair." "Really? Where did you get this figure?" "Google is your friend."

But I can see that occasionally people do start a thread to ask a rather easily answered question. "How far is it from Hull to Sheffield?"
    Axtol wrote: »
    Just because other people have worse problems than us it doesn't mean that our problems should be dismissed. I still feel justified moaning about stubbing my toe even though I know there's hundreds of people in hospital with life threatening injuries that far eclipse my minor and very short temporary pain. I don't have a problem with the phrase being directed at people who make out that they have a much bigger problem than they do for example it's the end of the world because I lost the remote now I have to get up and change the channel on the tv.

But toe-stubbing is not at all the kind of thing people describe in that way. Anyone is entitled to rant when they have stubbed their toe. It is when people rant because some kitchen apparatus has gone missing and forced them to grate cheese by hand that it becomes a first world problem. Or - and this is perfectly true in my case - I find it very hard to peel hard boiled quails eggs neatly. Bits of egg white always seem to adhere to the shell.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cool story, bro!

Shurrup you! :D
  • Options
    VelvetIdiotVelvetIdiot Posts: 13
    Forum Member
    Shurrup you! :D

Call the fire brigade! :eek: :D
  • Options
    pugamopugamo Posts: 18,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's just today's version of your mum telling you `there's kids starving in Africa`
  • Options
    tealadytealady Posts: 26,267
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I prefer LMGTFY, which I have sent to work colleagues. Your example isn't right though, as that is a question about someone's experience, whereas questions that do deserve it involve less effort to enter a few words into a search engine than to start a thread or post a question in a thread.
    rtfm is a useful one too.
  • Options
    Doctor_WibbleDoctor_Wibble Posts: 26,580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Call the fire brigade! :eek: :D
    Or a waaambulance! :p