Options

Game of Thrones - Season 5 (contains book spoilers)

AddisonianAddisonian Posts: 16,377
Forum Member
✭✭
I know it's early but there are already some speculation articles emerging about Season 5.
I haven't read the books so I know I shouldn't be spoiling things for myself but I can't help it...

Anyway, it looks like a certain someone may be returning to help Arya:
http://winteriscoming.net/2014/06/23/familiar-face-returning-game-thrones-season-5/

I hope so as I liked this character from Season 2. I wonder if they will get the same guy back to play him or someone new since he changed faces the last time we saw him.

Also, Natalie Emmanuel, who plays Danaerys' trusted advisor is being made a series regular for the next season, so I guess it's safe to say her part will be bigger next season.
http://tvline.com/2014/02/07/game-of-thrones-season-5-nathalie-emmanuel-series-regular-spoilers/

I also read this though, which I have to say I am absolutely gutted, concerning a highly anticipated 'return' for one character:
http://hollywoodlife.com/2014/06/25/lady-stoneheart-cut-from-game-of-thrones-michelle-fairley-catelyn-stark-character-dead/

As I said, I haven't read the books but knew about this particular upcoming story arc and was really looking forward to it :(

Comments

• Options
    BastardBeaverBastardBeaver Posts: 11,903
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yay. Always up for new GoT threads :D I'm obsessed!

My thoughts on the 3rd article are that maybe the producers are lying that it won't happen, to make it a bigger shock if it does happen.
  • Options
    AddisonianAddisonian Posts: 16,377
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My thoughts on the 3rd article are that maybe the producers are lying that it won't happen, to make it a bigger shock if it does happen.
    Yeah, I did think that too. Here's hoping!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 30
    Forum Member
    I've been so busy I've only just caught up with season 4 and what a shocker it was! A few that died I was not expecting, definitely kept me on my toes! Would love to see the Jaqen back again and plenty more scenes from Brienne and Pod would be nice!
  • Options
    RebelScumRebelScum Posts: 16,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not read any posts to avoid potential spoilers, but my only hope for season 5 is for Bran to get a haircut. That mop on his head is becoming offensive. :p
  • Options
    TyjetTyjet Posts: 8,509
    Forum Member
    Seeing as they ruined potentially the best possible series-end cliffhanger they could have got, am I being too optimistic to hope for the final scene (or at least final Dany scene) of season 5 to be
    Daenerys fleeing the fighting pits/Meereen on Drogon?
  • Options
    BastardBeaverBastardBeaver Posts: 11,903
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I also hear they have started filming in Spain, which means we are probably going to see the introduction of Dorne... And hopefully Oberyn Martells daughters :D

I can't wait for the casting calls to start coming in.

£10 bet says that The Mountain is recast AGAIN. At this rate we'll be seeing Mt Everest make it's acting debut!
  • Options
    LMLM Posts: 63,503
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    All i keep hearing about season 5 is
    Lady stoneheart, but there seems to be major debate from fans on whether this is happening.
  • Options
    Serial LurkerSerial Lurker Posts: 10,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'll be interested to see how much taller Isaac Hempstead-Wright has got between seasons again. They'll be recasting him as the Mountain next.
  • Options
    sherisgirlsherisgirl Posts: 2,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know this may not be the right thread but season 1 thrread has long gone, but they showed the 1st episode last night, I couldnt resist a look, how young they looked except Bran and I would have thought he would have changed the most being a youngster.
    Yesterday afternoon I also caught up with 24 poor Kat got killed again this time slung out of a window.
    I could remember bits of it, might just start watching again.
  • Options
    ShadoutShadout Posts: 1,000
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sherisgirl wrote: »
    Yesterday afternoon I also caught up with 24 poor Kat got killed again this time slung out of a window.

Someone finally flew out of the Moon Door at least...

I'm looking forward to seeing the Dorne storylines expanded next season, it was hinted at in this one - not just with the introduction of the Red Viper, but there was also lots of talk about Myrcella being sent there; almost as if to keep it fresh in the viewers mind.

The lack of Lady Stoneheart doesn't bother me too much, I just hope that the same tack is taken with the Iron Islanders too - in the books, those were the sections that really dragged on for me. I think they will get a mention, but I can imagine two or three of the main Greyjoy characters being squished into just one.
  • Options
    anotherlongersanotherlongers Posts: 1,792
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd like the Iron Islands to be included but not dragged out for the entire Series 5, just a quick 'gathering' of Greyjoys, a 'decision made' and then to move on. Shouldn't take more than 3 or 4 scenes spread out over 3 episodes.

Really looking forward to Dorne.
  • Options
    CorwinCorwin Posts: 16,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Some new filming locations are being added.

The Croatian city of Šibenik will most likely be used for Braavos.

At a guess the Cathedral of St James could end up as the House of Black and White.

As mentioned earlier there will also be filming in Spain. Mostly for Dorne I would guess but it seems this Bull Ring may be used for something, most likely
    Dany's scene with Drogan in the Fighting Pit.

There was also talk of doing a battle scene in Iceland. These plans seem to have been scaled down due to the lack of daylight but could well indicate that we'll see the Book 6
    Battle of Winterfell
    in Season 5. Either that or a fight
    with the WW north of the wall.
  • Options
    burton07burton07 Posts: 10,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If Tom Wlaschiha returns to GOT I, for one, will be delighted.
  • Options
    mr mugglesmr muggles Posts: 4,601
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RebelScum wrote: »
    Not read any posts to avoid potential spoilers, but my only hope for season 5 is for Bran to get a haircut. That mop on his head is becoming offensive. :p

I'd kill for any hair on my bonce !:cry::cry:
  • Options
    Flash525Flash525 Posts: 8,862
    Forum Member
    Predictions for Season #5? Sure...

Tyrion, Stannis, Davos, John Snow, Arya, Sansa, Cersei, Jamie, Brienne, Podrick, Danny, Jorah, Barristan Selmy, Grey Worm, Darius, The Red Woman, Sam, and Bronn

All of these characters will survive. :D
    Addisonian wrote: »
    Anyway, it looks like a certain someone may be returning to help Arya:
    http://winteriscoming.net/2014/06/23/familiar-face-returning-game-thrones-season-5/
    As great a job as Tom Wlaschiha did with the character, I had assumed, seeing as these assassins can change their face, that a different actor would be coming in to play the part.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Flash525 wrote: »

Tyrion, Stannis, Davos, John Snow, Arya, Sansa, Cersei, Jamie, Brienne, Podrick, Danny, Jorah, Barristan Selmy, Grey Worm, Darius, The Red Woman, Sam, and Bronn

As great a job as Tom Wlaschiha did with the character, I had assumed, seeing as these assassins can change their face, that a different actor would be coming in to play the part.

I would say most of those are a reasonable bet to still be with us at the end of season 5 - but I also wouldn't be surprised if one or two were lost along the way; this is Game of Thrones after all!

It makes sense to bring back Jaquen from a tv point of view - it keeps continuity and links back to what has happened to Arya previously. Besides which, he was very popular with the viewers, so that's always going to have a bearing on whether or not a character is brought back.

Next bit spoilered for those who haven't read the books.
    So apparently casting is being done for Quentyn Martell. I don't understand this at all, even in the books his is the most pointless storyline around - mooching around Essos for what seems ages, only to be burned to a crisp by a dragon. He has no impact on the story at all, none of the other storylines are touched by him in the slightest, and to top it all - he is just plain boring himself!

I would have thought that the producers would have been looking for aspects of the books to trim away, surely this would have been the best place to start?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Shadout wrote: »

Next bit spoilered for those who haven't read the books.
    So apparently casting is being done for Quentyn Martell. I don't understand this at all, even in the books his is the most pointless storyline around - mooching around Essos for what seems ages, only to be burned to a crisp by a dragon. He has no impact on the story at all, none of the other storylines are touched by him in the slightest, and to top it all - he is just plain boring himself!

I would have thought that the producers would have been looking for aspects of the books to trim away, surely this would have been the best place to start?

The audition video for that character seems to be just something the actor put together himself. He released one for the same character last year as well (and the character obviously wasn't in Season 4).

So no official word on if the character will appear or not. The show did however state in Season 2
    that Trystane was Dorans youngest son implying that he did have an older brother.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Corwin wrote: »
    The audition video for that character seems to be just something the actor put together himself. He released one for the same character last year as well (and the character obviously wasn't in Season 4).

So no official word on if the character will appear or not. The show did however state in Season 2
    that Trystane was Dorans youngest son implying that he did have an older brother.

Ah right, that's good news then - it's just some fanboy looking for his break I take it?

On a similar subject, I would hope that we'll see
    Aegon aka Young Griff
    and
    Jon Connington
    in the next series - particularly if Tyrion and Varys head to Bravos.

I hope to high heaven that we see the Sand Snakes next year too!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ah right, that's good news then - it's just some fanboy looking for his break I take it?

Seems to be.

On a similar subject, I would hope that we'll see
    Aegon aka Young Griff
    and
    Jon Connington
    in the next series - particularly if Tyrion and Varys head to Bravos.

I hope to high heaven that we see the Sand Snakes next year too!

The Sand Snakes
    are confirmed. Three of them anyway and I wouldn't be surprised if we saw the 4 younger ones as background extra's in a scene or two.

There's not
    been any word about Griff and young Griff. It may be that the show will have Varys send Tyrion straight to Dany.
  • Options
    Regis MagnaeRegis Magnae Posts: 6,810
    Forum Member
    I wonder if they'll go beyond the books this season.

I read all the books a few years ago, so I roughly knew what was going to happen in TV series, but on a recent re-read (I'm up to the first parts of a Feast for crows) I was struck how they moved up and/or reversed the sequence of the major events in books.

Daenerys' plot is effectively one whole season ahead of everyone else's, and from what I recall, so is Bran's.
  • Options
    deptfordbakerdeptfordbaker Posts: 22,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Flash525 wrote: »

She will always survive as she sees the future in the flames.
  • Options
    deptfordbakerdeptfordbaker Posts: 22,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Someone finally flew out of the Moon Door at least...

I'm looking forward to seeing the Dorne storylines expanded next season, it was hinted at in this one - not just with the introduction of the Red Viper, but there was also lots of talk about Myrcella being sent there; almost as if to keep it fresh in the viewers mind.

The lack of Lady Stoneheart doesn't bother me too much, I just hope that the same tack is taken with the Iron Islanders too - in the books, those were the sections that really dragged on for me. I think they will get a mention, but I can imagine two or three of the main Greyjoy characters being squished into just one.

I really enjoyed AFFC but I didn't really think there was much action in it. Will Dorne really be that exiting does any one think?

I'm a third of the way through a ADWD now so maybe there will be stuff from that they can use to soup it up a bit.

Season 5 will definitely use up both book four and five's material and maybe a little bit of book six's as GRRM left out some scenes everyone was waiting for. Its good in a way that the television series has the opportunity to reorganise material although I think losing lady Stoneheart will upset a lot of fans.
  • Options
    jenziejenzie Posts: 20,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    would it be an interesting feature if it was filmed in 2.21x1?
    make it even MORE cinematic!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Corwin wrote: »
    There's not
    been any word about Griff and young Griff. It may be that the show will have Varys send Tyrion straight to Dany.

I'd be very surprised if they cut Young Griff out of the tv show entirely; I suspect that he will be pretty integral to the end-game of the story, remember -
    three riders for three dragons: Dany, Griff / Aegon, and (probably) Jon
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd be very surprised if they cut Young Griff out of the tv show entirely; I suspect that he will be pretty integral to the end-game of the story, remember -
    three riders for three dragons: Dany, Griff / Aegon, and (probably) Jon

Well we'll see :)

I don't believe
    Aegon will end up as one of the Dragon Riders. He's the fake Dragon Dany was warned about, possibly a Blackfyre descended though Illyrio's late wife.

Even if he's the real Aegon and the Mummers Dragon title just means he's being groomed for Kingship by a Mummer (Varys) I have the feeling he and Dany won't end up on the same side.

He'll no doubt sit on the Iron Throne for a while but will end up fighting Dany when she arrives.

I could see the show
    skipping him entirely and have the Lannisters or Tyrells in charge when Dany arrives.