Options

Food Banks

tphjtphj Posts: 107
Forum Member
Tesco are pushing food banks at the moment
I don't believe they are required,if the people who are supposedly in need of these food banks gave up their large smart tv's,sky subscription,computer equipment,internet access and smart phones ,Stopped smoking and drinking,then they would have enough money to feed themselves

Comments

• Options
    Early BirdEarly Bird Posts: 2,147
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I gave food to the local food bank.. a few weeks back, to say my donation was treated with utter contempt was an understatement..... apparently the guy was having a bad day.....

still wasn't an excuse..... generally, if people go out of their way to help, you should at least say thank you or smile!
  • Options
    kidspudkidspud Posts: 18,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tphj wrote: »
    I don't believe they are required,if the people who are supposedly in need of these food banks gave up their large smart tv's,sky subscription,computer equipment,internet access and smart phones ,Stopped smoking and drinking,then they would have enough money to feed themselves

Your knowledge of those that require food banks is impressive.

Tescos have done this a few times, we gave pasta sauce, tea and sugar today. You are, of course, free to not donate if you do not wish to.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,232
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looks like this thread will go the Edwina route, i.e. food banks are just about feckless people helping themselves to freebies.

As every good Tory knows, charity begins at home!
  • Options
    LyricalisLyricalis Posts: 57,958
    Forum Member

Giving up drinking or smoking I agree with. Those are definitely unnecessary expenses and everyone should consider giving up smoking whatever their financial circumstance.

As for the other. Are you seriously suggesting that people pawn off all their worldly goods, at a fraction of the price they paid for them, only to buy replacements a few weeks/months down the line when they get a job?
  • Options
    DiscombobulateDiscombobulate Posts: 4,242
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Peter_CJ wrote: »
    Looks like this thread will go the Edwina route, i.e. food banks are just about feckless people helping themselves to freebies.

As every good Tory knows, charity begins at home!

So how often do you donate and what did you last donate ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So how often do you donate and what did you last donate ?

What has that got to do with you?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How are Tescos pushing food banks?
    By encouraging their customers to buy food at Tescos and give the food away to the food bank. So increasing Tesco's sales. Or is Tesco giving food that is near or at it sell by date, but not past its use by date to food banks?
  • Options
    DiscombobulateDiscombobulate Posts: 4,242
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What has that got to do with you?

Just wondering if you practice what you preach - it would seem the answer is no.

Fair enough.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Whatever Tesco's do, will be good for Tesco, that's for sure.

Aldi and Lidl have shown what a rip-off supermarkets are, and they are clutching at any possible straws these days.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just wondering if you practice what you preach - it would seem the answer is no.

Fair enough.

Are you sober?

What is it you think I'm saying?
  • Options
    kidspudkidspud Posts: 18,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How are Tescos pushing food banks?
    By encouraging their customers to buy food at Tescos and give the food away to the food bank. So increasing Tesco's sales. Or is Tesco giving food that is near or at it sell by date, but not past its use by date to food banks?

I believe Tesco are also making a donation, but of course it helps tesco sales.
  • Options
    gummy mummygummy mummy Posts: 26,600
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

In many cases it is people who have worked hard and saved hard who are using food banks temporarily why their claims are being processed.

So why should they give anything up ?
  • Options
    Gary_LandyFanGary_LandyFan Posts: 3,824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jesus, the amount of assumptions in your post is unbelievable.

Based on Media and Tory propaganda with little reality, It's always the same from people like you, who have no idea what it is like to be in a situation like that.

Anyone who claims selling items like TVs, phones and computers is a good idea is an idiot!

Say you sell the 'large smart tv', the person would then have a bit of money, but no where near the value of the TV, but they would also need to buy a second hand cheap TV & a Freeview box to replace it, reducing the amount of money they have, and modern TVs are far more energy efficient so an older TV would lead to their energy bills increasing too.
    So whilst it will give them a bit of money short term it costs far more in the long term.

Also if the person is on JSA too, they then cannot sell their computer and phone, and their broadband either, because they are now necessary in order to complete the amount of job searching necessary to fulfill the requirements to claim JSA.
    How is someone supposed to apply for jobs when they don't have these items.
    Some people may not like to accept it, but more and more, phones and the internet are becoming a necessity rather than a luxury...
  • Options
    RichievillaRichievilla Posts: 6,179
    Forum Member
    Tesco top up any donations by 30%.

As for the ill-informed rant in the op, I think I will stick to the evidence provided by the likes of the CAB, Trussell Trust and the DEFRA commissioned report who confirm that there is a growing need for food banks and that going to a food bank is usually a last resort.
  • Options
    gummy mummygummy mummy Posts: 26,600
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Whatever Tesco's do, will be good for Tesco, that's for sure.

Aldi and Lidl have shown what a rip-off supermarkets are, and they are clutching at any possible straws these days.

Maybe people should donate food they have bought from Aldi and/or Lidl.
    I wonder what Tesco would do if they did.
  • Options
    MeercamMeercam Posts: 1,020
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

These type of people regard the ownership of tech devices, Sky subscriptions, drinking, gambling,cigarettes and drugs as life's essentials.
    Now they can acquire free food they have even more money to spend on their "essentials."
    Little wonder so many are flocking to food banks.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Meercam wrote: »
    These type of people regard the ownership of tech devices, Sky subscriptions, drinking, gambling,cigarettes and drugs as life's essentials.
    Now they can acquire free food they have even more money to spend on their "essentials."
    No, this is what people like you believe they regard as essentials...

Generalisation from bitter people who are gullible enough to fall for the propaganda.

They are people who are like your example, but they are not the only people who are having to resort to food banks...
  • Options
    tphjtphj Posts: 107
    Forum Member
    Jesus, the amount of assumptions in your post is unbelievable.

Based on Media and Tory propaganda with little reality, It's always the same from people like you, who have no idea what it is like to be in a situation like that.

Anyone who claims selling items like TVs, phones and computers is a good idea is an idiot!

Say you sell the 'large smart tv', the person would then have a bit of money, but no where near the value of the TV, but they would also need to buy a second hand cheap TV & a Freeview box to replace it, reducing the amount of money they have, and modern TVs are far more energy efficient so an older TV would lead to their energy bills increasing too.
    So whilst it will give them a bit of money short term it costs far more in the long term.

Also if the person is on JSA too, they then cannot sell their computer and phone, and their broadband either, because they are now necessary in order to complete the amount of job searching necessary to fulfill the requirements to claim JSA.
    How is someone supposed to apply for jobs when they don't have these items.
    Some people may not like to accept it, but more and more, phones and the internet are becoming a necessity rather than a luxury...
    didn't say sell them stop useing them they cost money
  • Options
    EbonyHamsterEbonyHamster Posts: 8,175
    Forum Member
    OP is very ignorant
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    didn't say sell them stop useing them they cost money

Sorry, I don't buy it. Not using these items would not save any money. Since they use so little power anyway...
    The money saved certainly wouldn't be enough to buy food with.

Are you going to be suggesting people sit in the dark without the heating on next?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Another example of the media based, make it up as you go along, understanding of welfare, as requested by you in another thread. :)
  • Options
    MeercamMeercam Posts: 1,020
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    WindWalker wrote: »
    Another example of the media based, make it up as you go along, understanding of welfare, as requested by you in another thread. :)

It's all the fault of the media. ;-)
  • Options
    CELT1987CELT1987 Posts: 12,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Using the internet is essential if you are on Jobseekers. So it's hardly a luxury. You can have a Sky box but not pay for a subscription.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's all the fault of the media. ;-)
    How do you 'know' about the people who spend all of their money on 'big TVs, sky, **** and booze' then? Spying through their windows?
  • Options
    tim59tim59 Posts: 47,188
    Forum Member

Yes as the figures show the biggest group increase in people needing to use foodbanks is from hard working people.