Options

Miss Marple: A Caribbean Mystery

Comments

• Options
    YeraYera Posts: 6,200
    Forum Member
    Saturn wrote: »
    Is that the bloke off the BT infinity adverts?

I can't decide but we have seen him before- missed the beginning but it is watchable
  • Options
    Hot ButterflyHot Butterfly Posts: 2,826
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just to stick up for Geraldine McKewin. I like her as Miss Marple. I like her anyway. I like the others too. I just love Agatha Christie televised versions. The full length feature films I'm not keen on except And Then There Were None. I hope they do take the Marple short stories into consideration.
  • Options
    LittleGirlOf7LittleGirlOf7 Posts: 9,344
    Forum Member
    I liked the nice touch of having Charlie Higson playing James Bond.
    Saturn wrote: »
    Is that the bloke off the BT infinity adverts?
    J-Zee wrote: »
    I was wondering the same thing, looks very like him if its not
    Yera wrote: »
    I can't decide but we have seen him before- missed the beginning but it is watchable

Yes it is. Daniel Rigby.

He is actually a BAFTA award winning actor.
  • Options
    FMKKFMKK Posts: 32,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh God, I thought that James Bond bit was cringeworthy. I've read lots of Agatha Christie but I've not got round to this one yet. It would be interesting to know how many changes have been made because this series has previous.
  • Options
    fredsnailfredsnail Posts: 1,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So we've got the man from the BT ads and the man from the Meercat ads
  • Options
    mal2poolmal2pool Posts: 5,690
    Forum Member
    Liked the film version but this was just confusing to me. I forgot who everyone was. Waste of two hours of my life!
  • Options
    Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,925
    Forum Member
    I gave up on this and watched White Queen on BBC 1 in the end.

I can't warm to McKenzie and I kept remembering how better the Joan Hickson 'Carribean' is
  • Options
    yorksdaveyorksdave Posts: 3,228
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I found it all a bit slow and plodding, all the Vodou and James Bond/Ian Fleming stuff added nothing. Charlie Higson the adapter of this, a big James Bond fan was clearly influenced in his adaption by the James Bond film Live and Let Die, self indulgent nonsense. Whilst the core story was there, the warmth of the Helen Hayes or Joan Hickson versions was missing. 6/10, must try harder.
  • Options
    Mr_XcXMr_XcX Posts: 23,899
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really enjoyed it TBH, I thought it was much better than the Poirot episode last week.

Julia McKenzie is great as Miss Marple and I loved how she tricked the murderer at the end :D however the first hour of the episode was slightly underwhelming I think it picked up the pace in the last half.

6/10 I would say.
  • Options
    Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was looking forward to watching my recording of this, but I gave up after half an hour, it was so boring. I might go back to it later.
  • Options
    gboygboy Posts: 4,989
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I liked this - not quite as much as the Joan Hickson version, but more than the Helen Hayes version.

Mostly very good - I didn't know Daniel Rigby could act, having only ever seen him in those awful BT ads.
  • Options
    domedome Posts: 55,878
    Forum Member
    I enjoyed it.
  • Options
    VerenceVerence Posts: 104,590
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    gboy wrote: »
    I liked this - not quite as much as the Joan Hickson version, but more than the Helen Hayes version.

Mostly very good - I didn't know Daniel Rigby could act, having only ever seen him in those awful BT ads.

Back in 2011 he won a BAFTA for Best Actor for his role as Eric Morecambe in the programme Eric and Ernie

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eric_and_Ernie

Overall I thought his wasn't too bad but I didn't see the need for the vicar character to be in love with Molly
  • Options
    FMKKFMKK Posts: 32,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought that was pretty poor. Too much silliness with the James Bond stuff and the voodoo and Robert Webb was completely unconvincing in his role. I'll need to track down the book now.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 21,093
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is there a vicar character in the book?
  • Options
    VerenceVerence Posts: 104,590
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Is there a vicar character in the book?

No, but he seems to have taken the place of a character called Dr Graham

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Caribbean_Mystery
  • Options
    Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Robert Webb was unconvincing, I agree.

Pity they couldn't have found a part for his mate Ben Miller. As Richard Poole he would have sorted them all out in no time, and it would have been a lot more entertaining. (Yes, I know - wrong island :)).
  • Options
    LillithLillith Posts: 946
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't know why they bothered having; the BT bloke in it. His character isn't in the book and I just thought of the ads when I saw him. The first ad afterwards was the BT one by accident or design I don't know.
  • Options
    Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lillith wrote: »
    I don't know why they bothered having; the BT bloke in it. His character isn't in the book and I just thought of the ads when I saw him. The first ad afterwards was the BT one by accident or design I don't know.

I noticed that! :D I wondered the same thing.
  • Options
    Swanandduck2Swanandduck2 Posts: 5,502
    Forum Member
    I wish they'd just leave the Agatha Christie versions alone. This was messy and rambling and had none of the tension of the original story. The characters were given little to distinguish them from each other and the whole thing came nowhere near the standard of the Joan Hickson version. A really weak effort and I don't like Julia McKenzie as Miss Marple. She's too young and sprightly and has none of the vague. rambling. sitting in the background taking it all in persona that Joan Hickson captured so brilliantly. Even Geraldine McEwan, irritating though her Marple was, came closer to the Agatha Christie character.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 21,093
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Verence wrote: »
    No, but he seems to have taken the place of a character called Dr Graham

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Caribbean_Mystery

Thank you :)
  • Options
    haphashhaphash Posts: 21,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gboy wrote: »

I agree - not as good as Joan Hickson but Julia is a better Marple than the last one whom I disliked so much I couldn't watch the shows.

Robert Webb was terrible though, really badly miscast. Still not convinced about BT man either.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    FMKK wrote: »
    I thought that was pretty poor. Too much silliness with the James Bond stuff and the voodoo and Robert Webb was completely unconvincing in his role. I'll need to track down the book now.

He was dreadful wasn't he? Completely wrong for the part.
  • Options
    DICKENS99DICKENS99 Posts: 2,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    haphash wrote: »
    Robert Webb was terrible though, really badly miscast.

Not just me then, he really was spectacularly bad.....was he thinking "This sketch is going on a bit long" and wondering when David Mitchell was going to appear?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DICKENS99 wrote: »
    Not just me then, he really was spectacularly bad.....was he thinking "This sketch is going on a bit long" and wondering when David Mitchell was going to appear?

I thought the same. I like him in comedy but he was really hammy and not at all scary. The bit at the end when he shot Ms Marple was appalling and so unnecessary. Spectacular fail from me.