iPhone 5 Proximity Sensor Problems

IzakIzak Posts: 3,452
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I got an iPhone 5 on launch day and have been having problems with the proximity sensor not working, on several phone calls I've activated the loud speaker or other functions by accident with my ear!

I'd didn't realise there was a problem at first, having never owned an iPhone before, I initially though the screen just stayed on during a call but it was only at weekend that I accidentally caught a button during a call that I realised there was a problem. I have already tried rebooting and even restoring but neither of these have done anything.

I'm trying to book a Genius appointment at my local Apple store which seems rather difficult as they are currently fillling up quickly and I can only visit at weekends due to current work commitments.

So I was just wondering if anyone else has had any such issues just in case it's a iOS bug rather than a hardware fault.

If it is definitely a hardware fault, I'll try phoning the shop on Saturday and see if they can see me even though all the Genius appointments seem to be taken now.

Comments

• IzakIzak Posts: 3,452
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone had this issue with their iPhone?
  • Mystic EddyMystic Eddy Posts: 3,987
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No problem with mine, although I have noticed that the sensor emits visible red light that can be seen in a darkened room when the screen is on. My iPhone 4 never did this.
  • IzakIzak Posts: 3,452
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No problem with mine, although I have noticed that the sensor emits visible red light that can be seen in a darkened room when the screen is on. My iPhone 4 never did this.

Thanks for your reply.

I've just tried my iPhone in a dark room and I can't see any red light emitting nor even see when the sensor is. I'm still having problems. Even found a free app that uses the proximity sensor to flip a coin on screen and this didn't work at all either.

I'll try calling my local Apple store on Saturday, do you think they'd be able to see me and replace my iPhone even though there is no Genius appointments available?
  • whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Lke an LED?
  • The Lord LucanThe Lord Lucan Posts: 5,054
    Forum Member
    no problems here.