Emails

fredsterfredster Posts: 31,802
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I am getting around 80 unwanted emails every day. I unsubscribe each one but, they still come . Same ones three or four times. Apart from changing my email address what can I do.?
What is the "flag" label for? Any help who be gratefully accepted.

Comments

• albertdalbertd Posts: 14,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    By unsubscribing, you are probably just making things worse by letting the rogues know that the email address is active. Just delete them and hope the mails die down again.
  • chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The only time you should ever click on a link in an unsolicited e-mail is if you are 1,000% certain of it's origin. If you have even 0.001% of doubt don't go anywhere near any links.

In dodgy e-mails the only function of an Unsubscribe link is to mark your address as live so it can be spammed even more. It will certainly never ever unsubscribe you from whatever list the scumbags are using, quite the opposite in fact.
  • fredsterfredster Posts: 31,802
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks both of you. So just keep deleting them?
  • chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    fredster wrote: »
    Thanks both of you. So just keep deleting them?

If you don't recognise who sent them and they seem even remotely dodgy then yes send them straight to the trash folder.

Also check with both your mail service provider and whatever app you are using to read your e-mail (assuming it's not a web browser) for whatever Spam/Junk Mail Filter they provide. Most half way decent mail providers have some form of spam/junk filtering which you can use to send most of this crap to the junk folder. You just log onto their website and if filtering is provided it should be in the settings for your account. If you are using a mail reader app of some sort then it too may have some filtering.

Enabling whatever filters are available will help get rid of most of the junk in your inbox. Though just occasionally a legitimate e-mail may get filtered so you do need to check the junk folder from time to time.

But the moral of the story is never click any link in an e-mail unless you are absolutely certain it is completely legit. And don't trust the Sender field on the e-mail either. That can be easily spoofed so it is quite possible that you can get an e-mail seeming to come from a regular contact but which is completely bogus.

And it goes without saying that you never ever open any file attachment unless you are again completely certain of the messages origin.